Review Saponificio Varesino Cosmo Shaving Soap

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
This is a hard Italian Vegetarian shave soap. At 150 gram tin it is quite a good chunk of soap!
These SV soaps are probably the most well packaged/presented soaps you can buy and obviously some of your £££ is going into the packaging and not the soap. Only you can decide if this is worth paying for!
I would say these were are the upper end of the soap price range (£25~)
The scent is very pleasant, although it is not particularly strong, quite mild in fact.
I can't describe scents but its was "manly";
Base Notes of Vetyver, Sandalwood, Insence and Vanilla.
Body notes of Nutmeg, Coriander & Pepper.
Top Notes of Citrus and Coffee.
None of these scents stand out and they all come together nicely.

I started out with this:

and after 10-20 seconds had this:

A further 20 seconds and a couple of teaspoons of water:

total time of a couple of mins and 5ish teaspoons of water:

The lather is easy to produce, it is nice and dense and could probable take a little more water if required. As it was, the lather had loads of cushion & protection and plenty enough slip; this is not a slick as Haslinger or some of the Sterling soaps, but it does have enough.
The post shave feel is as good as any I've used.

Overall feeling is that it is very much like NSS Signature in use; this is high praise from me, as NSS is a firm favourite of mine.
Would I buy a full 150g tin at £25? Probably not as equal and better performance, for me, can be had a vastly lower cost. If it was sold without the fancy packaging at approx half the cost then I'd say it was pretty good value.

Last edited:

Redd

A Right Member
I bought the 70th set and while the actual products were good performers, I agree that the price point is pretty much top of the tops (certainly for me) - but the packaging hooked me good and proper. And so unfortunately does the Cosmo.....

Gordy

Legendary Member
I love the 70th set, it looks good and it really was worth it purely because my wife said. "that would look lovely displayed in the bathroom."
It's a great soap too and I love the scent.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Cosmo is the most expensive soap I own and it is a top performer too. It just performs so well. Easy to lather, smells Ok not much to write home about scent wise but it is very slick. It should last ages too. Love it.

Gordy

Legendary Member
Purchased mine based on reviews and I loved the tin. It's a very good soap and a good size 150g.
Can't quite decide on the fragrance though.
I've heard so many varying reviews of the scent, is it like anything else?

Acer89

James
I've heard so many varying reviews of the scent, is it like anything else?
It's like nothing I've ever smelt before Its smells kind of woody, musty, spicy with a hint of old tobacco. Not at all sweet and fresh. I don't dislike it but it's something I just can't decide upon. It performs really well but wouldn't buy it simply for the fragrance. Having said that ...some people love it!