Salamander #65

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
My friend @Steve56 alerted me to this razor because he knew I have an interest in this brand. Well, it arrived today a week late. Great seller who discribed it accurately. I cannot tell if it were ever honed after being sold. Anyway, this is a good German made razor, so if you see one, consider. According to Strazors, they were made in the early to mid 1920's. I've never seen these scales.

View attachment 105510

My friend @Steve56 alerted me to this razor because he knew I have an interest in this brand. Well, it arrived today a week late. Great seller who discribed it accurately. I cannot tell if it were ever honed after being sold. Anyway, this is a good German made razor, so if you see one, consider. According to Strazors, they were made in the early to mid 1920's. I've never seen these scales.

View attachment 105510
I'm not seeing a photo of the razor.

Yep, looks like it's gone.
View attachment 108269
Ah, that's nice. I swear I just saw a similar razor on ebay. I have a Salamander, but I'm not sure it's the same manufacturer. It has off-white celluloid scales, with a salamander etched into the scales. I think it might be the same manufacturer, as I just looked at the tang a little closer and the salamander looks identical.

Is this a razor with a cult following? I planned on restoring the one I have, just not anytime soon, as I have a bunch of Keen Kutters and Case made Easy Aces to finish up. I'd like to find out what color they used to fill in the lettering on the original salamander scales? I saw one in green, but I've seen them in red as well.

Thanks for providing the photo, I really like the scales.

-gray.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Ah, that's nice. I swear I just saw a similar razor on ebay. I have a Salamander, but I'm not sure it's the same manufacturer. It has off-white celluloid scales, with a salamander etched into the scales. I think it might be the same manufacturer, as I just looked at the tang a little closer and the salamander looks identical.

Is this a razor with a cult following? I planned on restoring the one I have, just not anytime soon, as I have a bunch of Keen Kutters and Case made Easy Aces to finish up. I'd like to find out what color they used to fill in the lettering on the original salamander scales? I saw one in green, but I've seen them in red as well.

Thanks for providing the photo, I really like the scales.

-gray.
Here is some history for the brand, STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - Our Wedge, Salamander, Handmade, Salamander-Works, Foche-Solingen.

In don't think this is necessarily a well-known brand. They are cheap. I have had two, one hollow ground and the other a wedge. I love the wedge, but the hollow never got where I wanted after honing and even letting my mentor hone.

Happy Hunting!!:)

Does that guy even sell razors anymore (STRAZORS.com)? Thank you for the link.

I'm not sure, but I think I have the wedge version. I'd like to learn more about the shaving habits of Americans around 1930-1960. It seems we liked smaller razors during that period. I don't often see any American razors that are larger then 5/8"? It was also close to the end of straight razor dominance I imagine, as the Gillette safety razors probably started taking over after WWII. I could be wrong, as I only remember some of this info in passing, not from my own research.

Thanks again. 👍

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Does that guy even sell razors anymore (STRAZORS.com)? Thank you for the link.

I'm not sure, but I think I have the wedge version. I'd like to learn more about the shaving habits of Americans around 1930-1960. It seems we liked smaller razors during that period. I don't often see any American razors that are larger then 5/8"? It was also close to the end of straight razor dominance I imagine, as the Gillette safety razors probably started taking over after WWII. I could be wrong, as I only remember some of this info in passing, not from my own research.

Thanks again. 👍
Looks like they are all sold. I sent him an email once and never got a reply.

I have a 6/8 Geneva Pyramid 7 that's wonderful New York steel. They produced a 5/8 and 6/8.

Clauss in Fremont, Ohio is another good maker.

A local barber said after the AIDS epidemic they were told to stop using honed razors and to start using replaceable blade type. He said he stopped altogether.

I have some Geneva razorsand a Clauss or two as well. I like American razors but for whatever reason, most of them aren;t as popular as the German and English blades. Case, Kinsfolk, Robeson, Genco, Shumate, etc. all make excellent razors. That's sad, as Barbicide kills the AIDS virus, doesn't it?