Safety razors - weight considerations

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Lately I've been paying quite a bit of attention to the weight of safety (DE and single edge) razors, mostly due to the fact that many 'modern' designs seem to exceed what the average user may feel is 'ideal'.

The map of safety razor construction has evolved radically over the last decade. The majority of modern designs is stainless steel made, and with this comes the added durability factor - but also the considerably increased weight. I thought that I have purchased and then quickly passed on many modern stainless steel razors, largely because their excess total weight (say above 95-100gr. for a three-piece set).

I was looking at the Feather WS-D2S over the weekend, and came across a 2016 YouTube video by a gent from Denmark (his name is Thomas) who was actually reviewing the WS-D1. At some point he made a comment that stroke me: "...while Feather introduced wood elements in this design, the weight of the head remained constant while the weight of the handle was reduced - this provides better handling for the user, as the weight distribution is even more improved..."

I then go over to check the weights, and indeed the WS-D2S is 68gr. while the AS-D2 is around 90gr. Taking into account that perhaps a 'widely accepted as convenient' combined weight for a three-piece set is ca. 75gr., it seems the design improvement Feather made was smart. How many of us are actually fed up with 105gr., 110gr. or more combined weights in modern stainless steel razors? I'm sure many find the heavyweights convenient exactly because the increased weight suits them. Having the razor lead you with its substantial weight is certainly a preference as well.

Then I sat down and continued to work on the relationship between the head weight and the handle weight in any two- or three-piece set. I've been keeping records of my heads and handles, and the conclusion I am reaching is that while the combined weight of a two- or three-piece set is important, the ratio between the head and the handle is equally important. Moreover, briefly combining data with experience, I tend to believe that a good and balanced head to handle weight ratio is in the vicinity of 0.45 to 0.60 or thereabouts.

I do have an Excel sheet where I do these things, and it is a pity that with so many safety razors (>200) that have been through my hands over the years I did not keep a record of head and handle weight parameters. May post some data later on, if the discussion picks up of course and folks are interested.

Regardless, the point I am trying to make is the following: take the Rockwell 6S for example, or the Blackland Razors Blackbird. I passed on my 6S mainly because of the weight factor, and I know few others who feel exactly the same. The Blackbird is a wonderful tool but it's also heavy. Almost all of these stainless steel monsters are, in actual fact. Wolfman Razors are equally terrific in their own respect, but with a handle weight of 90gr. I believe this does the least in assisting the user to have a well balanced razor in his hands.

So are we heading in the right direction? Shouldn't we be looking for solutions with lower weight and sill good weight distribution? There are such examples out there but they are expensive, mainly due to the cost of the material (Titanium)...

ajc347

Forum GOD!
You’ve posed some very interesting questions there Konstantinos. :)

I must admit that the idea of having a preferred ratio between the weight of the head and handle is not something I’ve considered before.

The idea of there being a regularly updated set of data regarding individual razors (including weight and dimensions) does interest me. It would be a good way to not only identify individual razors for people who are new to the hobby (if, for example, pictures were included), but to also aid purchasing decisions for others.

I’m happy to provide any weight and dimension data for any of the razors in my collection if that would be of any help. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p.b

Forum GOD!
I totally agree K.

The total weight of the razor and the centre of gravity of the razor are very important to me and I've been an advocate of aluminium for some time. However, my conclusion is that, for me, the centre of gravity is more important then overall weight.

Rockwell was too head heavy for me and I didn't like that. My Blackbird is still heavy at 98g but I forgive it because the balance, with a 85mm handle, suits me. Also the Rex is very heavy (106g) but the head is light and the centre of mass is toward the handle which I something I personally prefer. I suspect this is why I'm not bonding with the PILS which is entirely head-heavy.

Wilga

Forum GOD!
I must agree with the balance of razors. There are very few that stand out as being good in that respect. The WS-D1 does stand out but has not been a popular item with the buying public. One razor that grabbed my attention recently was a WR1 with a Darwin handle, it felt very good in the hand. I don’t know the weight but it was considerably lighter than many other Wolfman handles. Why many manufactures have not taken to drilling out the handle to balance the razor and reduce the overall weight is one thing I have struggled with for some time.

YMMV

Forum GOD!
I believe too that the total weight of the razors and the center of gravity are very important. Heavy is not always the best. Take the Merkur 39 for example, vs the Merkur 37. The former feels like it is too heavy (*for me*) as it is more bottom heavy than I would have liked. The latter is much better in that perspective. More balanced. So weight per se is not everything. I would have preferred a little less heavy Rockwell 62 too, but this is a good razor for me overall, so I don't complain :p

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
...I think Muhle gets it right with the R89, R41 and R96; they hollow out the handles it also gives their razors better feedback through the fingertips there is no denying that with the SS razors feedback through the fingertips is muted and the balance is not as good as a lighter well balanced handle. That said I get on with the new SS jobiess and adjust accordingly but I think you are right.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Why many manufactures have not taken to drilling out the handle to balance the razor and reduce the overall weight is one thing I have struggled with for some time.
I'm considering doing this with my Blackland Sabre as it weighs 111g. I just need to calculate the weight if I have it drilled out by 5mm or 6 or more.

alwinvrm

Guru
I have small hands and I was surprised to see that I don't mind and don't notice heavier razors. I used to shave with the Rockwell SS a lot and now the Supply V2 (about 110 gr). I always thought that when a razor feels top heavy, one could hold it closer to the head. That approach, of course, has limits.

Both the Supply and the Rockwell have their balance point at about one inch from the (perceived) handle top and both have a cutting edge to balance point distance of about 4 cm; coincidence? I don't know.

celestino

Forum GOD!
Why many manufactures have not taken to drilling out the handle to balance the razor and reduce the overall weight is one thing I have struggled with for some time.
The Wolfman Guerrilla has a hollow-type handle.

Regarding the weight of razors, this will always be very subjective and personal.
You bring forth an interesting topic, but there will never be a consensus that can be reached as to what is the best weight for a shaver.
For an illustration, I enjoy using my Rotbart #15 which is an extremely lightweight razor. However, I also enjoy using my Blackbirds which are the polar opposites in weight to the Rotbart. I just modify my technique depending on the shaver I am using. :)

beardyweirdy

Forum GOD!
Totally agree, today's razors with their massive handles are nice to look at and feel great in the hand, but when it comes to actual shaving, their weight is just uncomfortable. I need my razors to be maneuverable, especially as a head shaver. I'm not as nimble with a heavy razor/handle and my fingers and wrist tire pretty fast even with standard bulldog handles.

Luckily my dad still got his old lathe. We used it to hollow out several of my handles (by the way: RazoRock's 316L is much tougher than Maggard's 303) which made them just perfect. By now I've also got a nice titanium handle which doesn't need to be hollowed out. If the balance point is 2-3cm below the head that's perfect for me.
As for the head, it shouldn't be much more than 30g. A Rockwell (45g!) or Timeless (42g iirc.) would probably be too much for me but most others are fine.

Last edited:

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
I started the thread with the razor manufacturers in mind as well.

As much as we can talk or debate about the issue, I am sure artisans or long-time industrial makers of razors have indeed thought about the weight issue. Certainly there must be reasons why their choices are what they finally are in design and production. Would be great if we could have a contribution by any of these artisans, actually.

And as Celestino mentioned, indeed at the end it does get down quite a bit to personal preference, from a users standpoint.

YMMV

Forum GOD!
Wait, what? You mean this kind of handle is too heavy and -maybe- unbalanced with the head? :D:D:D

(photo courtesy of ufo razor handles)
Would have loved an ufo Kaizer short (85mm) though :)

alwinvrm

Guru
I think from an industrial design point of view there are guidelines for balance point (1 inch below the head?) , weight, handle length, thickness, material specs, and so on.

At the same time consumers have (probably extreme) demands that lead to over engineering, super low tolerances, and very durable and sometimes heavy materials. If a razor is not at least SS and CNC machined, and over 200 pounds it will hardly be taken serious. A razor became an example of craftsmanship, that instills pride of ownership, rather than just a tool.

Yet, we forget that t the same time we happily shave with an almost 100 your old Eveready made of stamped metal parts.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Wait, what? You mean this kind of handle is too heavy and -maybe- unbalanced with the head? :D:D:D

(photo courtesy of ufo razor handles)
Would have loved an ufo Kaizer short (85mm) though :)
That one would be even worse!

I’d love a Kaiser short too, I have the 100mm version but it's too long. Sod's law, two UFO handles and I don’t like the dimensions of either. :facepalm:I live in hopes of one day trading one for a Kaiser short or Colibri but have had no luck.