Run tracker options

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I've done something stupid and signed up to run a race for fun. I'm getting better at pacing myself, but think I'd benefit from a basic watch with GPS that can track my pace so I don't go too fast. I've done a bit of reading up and seen recommendations for the Timex Ironman GPS (looks like it's US only) with all the others being smart watches or fitness trackers which I don't really need or want. I see myself wearing it for a run then taking it off, maybe a fitness tracker is still the right way or the easiest way to go?

What does everyone else use and what do you see as the pros and cons?

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
To be honest, I have marked-out routes if I’m running set distances for time and so use a cheap old Casio with its stopwatch. But my runs now mostly involve heading out of the village into the hills and fields with the only use of a watch being to check how long I’ve been out for.

When I was a little bit more serious, I rated Garmin Forerunners.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
When I was a little bit more serious, I rated Garmin Forerunners.
I'm going to need to go on new, longer routes as I push myself. I did look at the £7 Casio option but I don't always know where the km boundaries are.

I've also read good things about the Garmin Forerunner 35, which is part way to a smart watch but is reasonably priced and definitely shows live pace and km/mile pace too. Think it might be my best option.

Forged

Über Member
Long time runner, certified running coach, and certified personal trainer, blah, blah, blah, here:rolleyes:

I’m a fan of the Garmin products and ecosystem. Been using their (formerly) top of the line 935 for 3+ years now and I’ve been quite happy with it. I know its way more feature packed and expensive than what you’re looking for, I’m just commenting on the quality, durability and functionality of the Garmin Forerunner series, based on my experience with the 935 I purchased. I wear mine 24/7 and although it was $600 (US), I’ve no regrets.

Having access to the the Garmin connect app is a big plus as well, IMO - keeps track of your runs and stats, including daily weight if you choose to input it. There are tons of features and stats you can look at if you choose to, or not. The app is simple to use and navigate.

The HR monitors and fitness trackers I tried prior to the Garmin never lasted more than a week on my wrist before I ditched them, so for me at least, Garmin has the others beat by a mile for the training I do.

Which model Garmin to go with ultimately it comes down to your personal goals, needs, and how much you want to spend of course. The 35 is pretty limited when compared to the high end Garmins, but that may be all you need if the only things you care about are real-time distance and pace. However if you care about improving your running performance, overall fitness, and muscle gain and/or weight loss, then a higher level model will provide additional features and the ability to add a heart rate monitor chest strap, which is critical. Even better if the watch you buy will pair with a Garmin chest strap that records running dynamics, but I imagine we are getting well into the price ranges you want to avoid…..

Do you have a hard limit price wise? Are real-time distance and pace the only stats you really want/need? Be aware that the HR data coming from wristwatch sensor during a run can range from roughly accurate to wildly inaccurate, even with a top of the line Garmin, at least that’s the case with my 935, as well as the reviews of nearly every other Running watch I’ve read. A chest strap will be required if you want any truly useful HR data.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Do you have a hard limit price wise? Are real-time distance and pace the only stats you really want/need? Be aware that the HR data coming from wristwatch sensor during a run can range from roughly accurate to wildly inaccurate, even with a top of the line Garmin, at least that’s the case with my 935, as well as the reviews of nearly every other Running watch I’ve read. A chest strap will be required if you want any truly useful HR data.
I don't have a hard limit, which makes shopping for tech dangerous :laugh:, it comes down to useful features vs. price. I've been watching and reading reviews over the last 24 hours and am sold on getting a Garmin - I don't see that a £60 Amazfit or Huawei will give as good analysis - and I'm happy to go for a 45S. The next step up for running looks to be a 245 which a lot of people really recommend, but I don't think I can justify it at full price which is double the 45S. Maybe I need a watch to baseline against now to know which additional features I'd value in the future.

I'm not too bothered about the HR sensor, it's nice to have a ballpark figure with the wrist sensor but rolling and average pace, along with time and distance are the most important things for me as far as I know.

That's where my head is right now, happy to take advice though. To give a bit more context I'm aiming to run a half marathon in 4 months time and can currently cover about 12km after running very little over the winter. Last year I made it to 15km, which was a struggle over the summer months and I need to find another 5km on top of that or do a better job of pacing myself

Forged

Über Member
I’m short on time at the moment but will add some additional thoughts later if I can. For the moment though:

The 245 basically has virtually all the functionality that my watch has, plus some things that mine doesn’t, like pulse ox and other software features, and at half the original price of my 935. Looks to be the sweet spot of price to performance in the Garmin line. And Garmin seems to be having a sale at the moment, at least here in the U.S.. If you skip the model with the music function it saves you a fair amount as well.

From a training perspective, I’ll try to address how the additional features can help you with improving your performance, when I have a bit more time.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Think I've found a way to get 25% off list price of the 45/45S or 245 through my health insurance, which makes the 245 a bit more reasonable

Forged

Über Member
Sorry, I’ve been slammed, haven’t had time to follow-up the way I wanted to, still don’t but…..

Either one will take care of the basics for you. If you like in-depth training data and are interested in learning how to use it in order to improve performance and reduce injury, the 245 + a Garmin HR chest strap that records running dynamics is the way to go. OTH, if you want to save money and really don’t care about anything other than accurate distance, pace, splits, route recording, etc., than the 45 with no strap looks to be your gear.

I will say that as a competitive runner and coach, I don’t use HR monitoring and data the way many people do, that is to say, I find that using HR primarily as a way to check and make sure you’re in the “aerobic training zone” not very useful. It would take more time than I have currently to get into more detail on that, let alone the benefits of the running dynamics data like ground contact time, ground contact balance, vertical oscillation, vertical ratio, etc., all of which I find quite helpful, if you know what to do with the info.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Should be meeting up with some other runners this evening including a trainer. Will try to get them to help me decide and see if I might make use of the 245's features later. I appreciate the advice you've given so far, thanks

Forged

Über Member
You’re welcome, happy to help.

Good that you will be able to meet up with others and get their advice, hopefully there will be people with both watches there who can give tell you what they like/dislike about them.

Ultimately I think it just comes down to how sophisticated you want to be with your training. I ran for decades with just a cheap Casio digital chronograph and I performed pretty well in races, so no one “Needs” all the tech except those wanting to compete at the highest levels. That said, I’m better for having the additional data the latest gear provides (though not all of it is useful), and I’d prefer not to be without it. Still, I’m not a slave to the gear, it’s just another tool. So choose a tool and go enjoy your running!

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I’ve always been pretty happy with the Map My Run app. I’ve also used plenty of watches over the years, but now that I run with my phone I think the app works nicely. Free, too.

Forged

Über Member
I’ve always been pretty happy with the Map My Run app. I’ve also used plenty of watches over the years, but now that I run with my phone I think the app works nicely. Free, too.
Absolutely, if you don’t mind running with your phone there are several good free phone app options worth checking out.

Too much bulk and weight for me, plus it’s not real convenient to check pace and splits, particularly during speed work, threshold runs, and races, but it’s a definitely a totally viable, money saving option, depending on your needs.

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Absolutely, if you don’t mind running with your phone there are several good free phone app options worth checking out.

Too much bulk and weight for me, plus it’s not real convenient to check pace and splits, particularly during speed work, threshold runs, and races, but it’s a definitely a totally viable, money saving option, depending on your needs.
I set it up to provide audio splits at each half mile, though you can adjust that interval and delete it entirely if you want. Definitely not the choice for speed work. The weight is no big deal under like 10 miles since I carry a bottle anyway. Over that distance I sometime switch to a Camelbak and then the phone gets tossed in the bag anyway. I used to do the watch thing, but I spent so much time looking at my wrist that it distracted me on long runs and makes me focus too much on speed.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Well, it's a running group but running is more a means to an end. https://www.goodgym.org

In any case, there are marathon runners and an ultra marathoner as well as folk like me who are there to have fun. Was recommended to keep it simple and get a Forerunner 35 by one guy who's run multiple marathons and spotted a few others on wrists too. Going to go for the 45S as the newer version. Decision made