Rum drinkers

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Funny you should say that. I over did it on dark and dirty rum one "happy hour" at the Fleet Club and had the same happen. Took months to be able to stand the smell of rum and drink it again.

Bob
The only booze that’s done that to me is Southern Comfort. It’s been about 50 years since I over-indulged in it; I still can’t stand the smell of it or the thought of drinking it.

Tommo

Forum GOD!
I usually drink rum neat. don't really do flavoured/spiced rums but the coffee dead mans fingers is very nice. Gosling's for a proper dark and stormy. Woods is superior to lambs imo. Mount Gay have a nice range to suit taste and budget. Pussers is the go to and can't be beaten, gunpowder proof is the one you want. I've got a bottle of the 75% overproof, not to be drunk neat! El Dorado 12 year is also very nice and very drinkable, saw it on offer in waitrose the other day for £33. I wouldn't waste too much money on a bottle if you're going to mix though.

R181

Grumpy old man
Pussers is the go to and can't be beaten, gunpowder proof is the one you want. I've got a bottle of the 75% overproof, not to be drunk neat!
Yup, that would be getting close to the old navy issue rum tot in strength. Can't be a coincidence that the company name is Pusser's as Pusser is naval slang for anything officially issued.

Bob

halvor

a most elusive fish
Diplomatico Distillery Editions have very low sugar content, less than 3 g/l. (Cf. their 12 year old at 41 grams...)

Same with Havana Club Seleccion de Maestros, which is at about 5 g/l.

Tommo

Forum GOD!
Yup, that would be getting close to the old navy issue rum tot in strength. Can't be a coincidence that the company name is Pusser's as Pusser is naval slang for anything officially issued.

Bob
The 75% is overproof at 150 proof. Navy rum is 54.5%. Pussers make their gunpowder proof rum (rebranded a while ago) to the royal navy recipe.

R181

Grumpy old man
The 75% is overproof at 150 proof. Navy rum is 54.5%. Pussers make their gunpowder proof rum (rebranded a while ago) to the royal navy recipe.
Thanks for the info. I never knew what the proof was in the RCN. The RCN issue rum was provided by Captain Morgan Rum Distillers.

Bob