Roof racks and boxes

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
We could do with making our Astra hatchback happy and content with camping trips, staycations brining the kitchen sink along etc. We’re pretty much at the limit of what we can stuff into the poor car.

Any experiences and recommendations? I’m guessing Thule rate highly?

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Avoid Thule, IMO massively overpriced.
I have a set or T-track bars from ebay at £~40 and I bought a roofbox from here:

I bought and still use this one:

It is HUGE and you need a large car to use it; we have a Passat Estate. Opens both sides, central locking. Cannot fault it... Comes with fantastic quick release clamps that are so easy to use...

Edit The bars I bought are similar to these:

Take your pick...

Last edited:

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I purchased a pair of bars recently from Lidl at £29.99. They seem pretty sturdy, Italian made, locks etc.

Not sure but does the Astra have the roof rails ? The rails usually run both sides the length of the roof ? The ones Rowlers kindly mentioned by the looks of them are like mine that clamp on to pre existing roof rails. Our old car for example.

8849A000-FA61-481D-96A0-B18418BA8FD8.jpeg

You can see what I mean from that shot. Our new car an Octavia Estate has the same bars. Wouldn’t of liked putting a roof box on the Yeti, bit too high for me, LOL !!!

So if you haven’t these rails you’ll have to look to see if you have alternative fixing points. Best go to the Halfords site and that should help give an idea, but they can be a little 9n the pricey side.

Boycie83

Space Cadet
What a timely discussion! I've just started looking in to roof bars myself. Am I correct in assuming that once you have roof bars, cycle carriers and roof boxes are (mostly) a universal fit? Do you need to alter the spacing of the roof bars for the boxes and carriers or are these adjustments done on the carrier/box?

If anyone has a useful link for a newb to learn from, I'd be most grateful. Internet searches tend to pull up limited product reviews that don't quite cover the basics (operator error, I know!).

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
What a timely discussion! I've just started looking in to roof bars myself. Am I correct in assuming that once you have roof bars, cycle carriers and roof boxes are (mostly) a universal fit? Do you need to alter the spacing of the roof bars for the boxes and carriers or are these adjustments done on the carrier/box?

If anyone has a useful link for a newb to learn from, I'd be most grateful. Internet searches tend to pull up limited product reviews that don't quite cover the basics (operator error, I know!).
All I know is that when you have the roof rails the bars can adjust as required. Just a case of moving the bars up and down to the right position for what ever you are putting on them. Much harder than if you don’t have rails, all depends on what car you are fixing them too.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Yeah, we’ll have to buy bars as there aren’t rails. I can see the fixing points on the car - hope it isn’t too much of a faff!
Shouldn’t be, but that said you know what these things are like. If buying from Halfords you can just rock up, pay extra and trust in them to fit.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member

As far as I know, there are 2 methods of fixing: the standard u-bolt and the t-bolts. The u-bolt clamps around the bar and the t-bolts slides into a track on the top of the bars. Much neater, not necessarily better... The roof boxes I linked above come with quick fit u-bolt that are superb...

Boycie83

Space Cadet
All I know is that when you have the roof rails the bars can adjust as required. Just a case of moving the bars up and down to the right position for what ever you are putting on them. Much harder than if you don’t have rails, all depends on what car you are fixing them too.
As far as I know, there are 2 methods of fixing: the standard u-bolt and the t-bolts. The u-bolt clamps around the bar and the t-bolts slides into a track on the top of the bars. Much neater, not necessarily better... The roof boxes I linked above come with quick fit u-bolt that are superb...
Thanks guys and apologies to @Burgundy for partially hijacking the thread!

celestino

Forum GOD!
I can't help with bars, but the Yakima 16 skybox that I have on my 2003 Forester XS is great; it opens from both sides and you can fit quite a bit of stuff into it.