Pass Around Rocnel SE-G (GEM/FHS blade) razor - Finished

p.b

Forum GOD!
@riverrun , sorted it , the screw apparently has a hollow and a solid end , you need to use the solid end to secure the blade , somehow it was in the other way round , nice and secure grip on the blade now , looking forward to the shave .
I tightened the screw using an Allen key - couldn't get it secure enough just using fingers.

Got to shave this morning with the razor and the following set up twenty four hours earlier than anticipated .
I have to say to me the razor certainly has that steampunk , quirky look to it , something that has always attracted me to vintage single edge razors , not that I am any sort of expert on them by any means .
Anyway , for the shave I went with the following ,

Hot water face wash with Glycerine Soap bar ,
3P pre shave , not something I usually use , but, thought I would err on the side of caution ,
Soap/cream , Tabula Rasa , Dark Lavender , bowl lathered ,
Brush Muhle synthetic
Blade , Gem PTFE stainless as supplied in the passaround box with the razor ,
Post shave , Humphreys Citrus witch hazel and Trumpers Coral Skinfood .
EDT , Fahrenheit by Dior .

I went with my usual four pass shave routine , WTG , XTG , a diagonal ear to Adams Apple and a ATG pass .
No problem finding the angle , the blade started cutting the whiskers immediately , it was 24 hours growth of silvery grey wire .
The shave was smooth and efficient , I never felt that the razor was going to cause me harm , as I have seen on other Forums , not so much as a nick or a weeper , not a trace of irritation .
Close shave ? , it could have been a little closer , but , it was a perfectly good shave , more so it being my first encounter with the razor .
Initial impressions are that I rate this razor over other modern Gem razors that I have tried .
I think that I may try a carbon steel blade tomorrow .

Second shave this morning with this razor , set up remained the same apart from the blade , I changed to what is usually a favourite of mine , a Treet Carbon Steel , I was disappointed , it did not perform as well as the Gem PTFE , I had to work harder to achieve a slightly inferior shave and minor irritation to boot .
I was going to try a Gem Blue Star in the morning , the sharper of the two carbon steel blades IMO , but, in view of this mornings shave I shall revert back to the stainless blade in the morning .

Skipped Tuesdays shave and went for a two day stubble shave this morning .
Same set up as day one , including the Gem PTFE blade , good shave , not quite where I want it to be , but happy enough with it .
I like this razor , purely on looks alone , but , it shaves aswell , a comfortable smooth shave , I would buy one .
Anyway , my time is done , I will contact the next on the list and hopefully I will get the razor to them by 1 PM on Saturday.
Many thanks to all for making this pass around possible .

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
List update:
  1. sɐǝɹpu∀ / riverrun (ATG/TSR)
  2. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  3. Mikey J (ATG)
  4. Mr_Smartepants (ATG/TSR)
  5. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
  6. p.b (ATG/TSR)
  7. Blademonkey (TSR)
  8. Barry Giddens (TSR)
  9. Luckypip (TSR)
  10. MPH (ATG/TSR)
  11. Bizzyberry (ATG/TSR)
  12. AndyMc133 (TSR)
  13. The Geordie Shaver (TSR)
  14. Glenn_Lee (TSR)
  15. shevsky (TSR)
  16. Burgundy (ATG)
  17. ManicDee (ATG)
  18. ajc347 (TSR)
  19. Godfather (ATG)
  20. You?
The list is open.
Legend: Waiting, Currently with, Completed Dropped out

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
The Rocnel is now with @ManicDee
  2. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  3. Mikey J (ATG)
  5. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
  6. p.b (ATG/TSR)
  7. Blademonkey (TSR)
  8. Barry Giddens (TSR)
  9. Luckypip (TSR)
  10. MPH (ATG/TSR)
  11. Bizzyberry (ATG/TSR)
  12. AndyMc133 (TSR)
  13. The Geordie Shaver (TSR)
  14. Glenn_Lee (TSR)
  15. shevsky (TSR)
  16. ManicDee (ATG)
  17. Burgundy (ATG)
  18. ajc347 (TSR)
  19. Godfather (ATG)
  20. You?
The list is open.
Legend: Waiting, Currently with, Completed Dropped out

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Well the Rocnel arrived and I was a little shocked by it's head shape. So much so that I practised with it but without a blade.
I found placing the blade into place a doddle but this thing reminds me of a shark, an ugly looking grey head full of very sharp teeth!
As I recently bought some Wickham' 1912 Shamrock Tweed, I decided to go with that.

Gear

So a Hot water face wash with Wickham's 1912 : Shamrock Tweed Glycerine Soap ,
Soap: Wickham's 1912 Shamrock Tweed
Brush : Razorock chubby extra Silvertip
Blade , Gem PTFE stainless as supplied in the pass-around box with the razor ,
Post shave : Shamrock Tweed aftershave balm.
Shave
Initially starting off, I found this razor to be Very efficient but also very aggressive. It has been a while since I felt this much blade and it's not something I like!
I had started my shave on my left side as usual but just half way down my cheek I had a deepish nick, so out came the Styptic Pencil. Ended up using a little paper.
Followed by a few more on same side. At this point I changed blade for one of my Feather blades but I still found this razor unforgiving.

After only one pass I had. had enough! As you can see it left it's mark :cursing:

I finished my shave with a Colonial "Brass" General razor and had no issues.
To be honest I don't think I will be using this again but ah what the hell. I will try it again in a few days and report back to you.
I must be nuts :eek:

p.b

Forum GOD!
Check the blade alignment and if the edges protrude at the sides. Also you might want to tighten the blade in position using an Allen key. See my post much earlier in the thread for alignment details.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
OK an update for you all, sorry no pictures.
I used this razor again but this time with a feather blade, as I use them and like them. Made sure it was secure and checked blade alignment.
For this attempt :) I went with Wickham's Irish Fern, Glycerine soap, Irish Fern Shaving soap and Irish Fern aftershave balm
and I used a Razorock Chubby Silvertip brush.
I love the scent of this Irish Fern, lather applied and now the moment of truth:eek:
It started of well, kept the shaving strokes short as I found it very aggressive with a distinct sound. Both sides done then first nick on chin, followed by a few more.
Have to say, I do not like this razor, in action or form but I tried. I have had the pleasure of using many a razor on this form from sɐǝɹpu∀ and others.
Whilst developing or honing my skills with these razors, I had developed a good technique for not nicking or cutting myself with, till this thing turned up.
All in all the Rocnel is not for me but I thank you sɐǝɹpu∀ for being able to try it:thumbsup:
It will be Wednesday when I get to post it to burgundy as I am in hospital tomorrow!

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
All in all the Rocnel is not for me but I thank you sɐǝɹpu∀ for being able to try it:thumbsup:
It will be Wednesday when I get to post it to burgundy as I am in hospital tomorrow!
Thank @Paul instead... it's his razor...
@ManicDee, I know that I sent you my address the other day but would you mind skipping me and going on to @ajc347? In fact, Andreas, can you strike me from the list?
Of course.
Chicken!
If your sure burgundy?
I can send it to Andy, no problems. Cheers :thumbsup:
Please contact Andy first in case he wants to drop out. :roflmao:

2. Looney12345 (ATG/TSR)
  3. Mikey J (ATG)
  5. Mr Bigmem (ATG/TSR)
  6. p.b (ATG/TSR)
  7. Blademonkey (TSR)