Completed Rockwell 6C

Andymc133

Forum GOD!
Please could I be added to the list like to try different razors all mine are antique apart from a couple of Dovo straights

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
Hey gents,

Last night’s shave report below, second shave with the Rockwell 6C.

I fancied changing up the handle, I have a few different handles, that look great on my bedside table, but never get any use, so last night was the day! I actually think it looks quite good on this handle as well.

Anyway, the shave. I lathered up some Frankinsence 1912 with this fantastic ATG LE 400 Silvertip. It’s just a great brush. Super soft, but whips up a brilliant lather. I love it, it’s probably the softest brush I own and offers me something different from the rest of my collection. The soap, it’s my second use of, the first use I wasn’t particularly enamoured, didn’t love it, didn’t loathe it, but last night the scent really grew on me. Still not in love, but for an evening shave it provides a pleasant, calming scent. Enjoyed it.

So, the Rockwell, again on number 4, the beard with, I think, 3 days growth. The first pass, wasn’t as smooth as my first use of the Rockwell and there were a couple of times were it felt a teeny bit tuggy, nothing major, just not straight through like a hot knife through butter. That said, the first pass went without any drama and a good finish, even after the first pass. Tiny weeper on my Adams apple, but that was it. There is blade feel, but it NEVER feels like it’s going to bite. Lathered up for the second pass, cracked on, again, no drama, no issues a very good finish, the weeper had healed up and that was that. I like this razor. I do feel like I should try a different baseplate though!

IMG_20170706_222322-01.jpeg

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
I was in on the Rockwell site earlier and the price of the 6c was £38.55 or €43.77 and the 6s was £77.10 or €87.53.
Given that the 6s is Stainless Steel, would you prefair Steel over chromed zinc alloy? and is it worth paying almost double?

bandito

Ex-Addict
Performance and feel wise there's nothing in it IMO - it all depends if you want stainless, which I did. Although it's twice the price it's still relatively inexpensive for a stainless steel razor. I do think though that the 6C looks better... decisions, decisions!

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
Morning gents,

Well it ended up being much longer between shaves than I anticipated. I’ve found that when I get busy, it’s shaving that takes the hit!

Anyway, with a few days growth, I opted for plate number 6 on a new acquisition for me, a Hempel Titanium Handle. I never thought I’d buy a titanium handle, but I have and it’s great. Really nice feel, weight and balance, it complimented the Rockwell head really we also. Happy with it.

Lathered up with my ICShaving brush and MDC. Both performed very well indeed, the Tuxedo knot is fantastic, it has a bit less “soul” than a badger, but you can’t fault it’s performance, I think it may be one that I mainly use when I can be bothered to bowl/scuttle lather though as I have too many lovely badgers that can be reserved for face lathering!

On to the shave, setting 6 is pretty tasty on this razor. It mowed through the growth and did a fine job, using an Astra SP with I think three, possibly four uses under its belt. A bit of irritation on my neck, nothing to be overly concerned with though. The finish was very good indeed. I do like this razor, it’s a good performer for sure. Hoping to shave again at the weekend, using a very special soap that’s just landed, so will use plate 2 or 3 for that and then get it sent on its merry way on Monday.

Have a great Friday!

IMG_20170708_175608-01.jpeg

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
Morning gents,

So, my final shave with the Rockwell 6C was yesterday. On plate 4, a fresh Astra SP loaded. I still had a little irritation on my neck outstanding from the shave on plate 6 a couple of days prior. Normally I wouldn’t shave whilst I was still irritated at the risk of making it worse, but I wanted to get a final shave in before sending it off today (which I’ve done, it’s on its way to @ManicDee so will be with him tomorrow).

Also the first use of the P&B vegan soap. I pressed this into my scuttle, to be able to pick up the soap on my brush as if I was loading from the tub. 30 seconds of brush loading which is what I do with all of my soaps. I am an exclusive non tallow shaver. I can’t stand the smell of tallow, so my line-up is exclusively without that ingredient. The bulk of my collection is Wickham 1912, but I also have MDC and a couple of others that get thrown into the mix when they tickle my fancy.

The first pass lather was decent, the brush had picked up loads of soap after blooming whilst I was in the shower and it went on nicely. I struggled a little to get a nice thick lather though, it was thick enough, but not as thick as I’m used to using the same technique as I would with my other soaps. The lather felt reasonably protective, not HUGELY slick. I went to lather up for the second pass, the brush still seemingly full of soap, but I just couldn’t build up a quality lather, it would start dissipating quite quickly after application. There could have been a bit too much water left on my face after my first pass rinse, but I didn’t feel like it was any different to normal. A bit disappointing to be honest. That said, I’ll be giving it a go with a drier brush next time as I feel this could be the kicker, we shall see.

On to the shave itself, it was a decent two pass shave, I was left with a few weepers and the irritation on my neck was aggravated as expected. I was going to buy one of these razors, I had one lined up and everything, but have now decided it isn’t for me. I have other razors that give good results every time, this razor, I’ve had a couple of irritating shaves, so for that reason, I’m out. Thank you very much to @Rowlers for the opportunity though, it’s been fun!

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, this was the first use of a rather funky handle as well! I picked this handle up recently and thought, what on earth am I thinking, it’s mad! Well actually, attaching it to the razor head I was pleasantly surprised. I really like it! It’s tactile and feels ergonomic, it’s a good length and the colour is a bit of fun! I’ve attached a couple of pictures of the two sides of the handle so you can see it in a bit more detail.

Have a good Monday gents!

IMG_20170716_131044-01.jpeg
IMG_20170716_131156-01.jpeg
IMG_20170716_131206-01.jpeg

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
Morning gents,

So, my final shave with the Rockwell 6C was yesterday. On plate 4, a fresh Astra SP loaded. I still had a little irritation on my neck outstanding from the shave on plate 6 a couple of days prior. Normally I wouldn’t shave whilst I was still irritated at the risk of making it worse, but I wanted to get a final shave in before sending it off today (which I’ve done, it’s on its way to @ManicDee so will be with him tomorrow).

Also the first use of the P&B vegan soap. I pressed this into my scuttle, to be able to pick up the soap on my brush as if I was loading from the tub. 30 seconds of brush loading which is what I do with all of my soaps. I am an exclusive non tallow shaver. I can’t stand the smell of tallow, so my line-up is exclusively without that ingredient. The bulk of my collection is Wickham 1912, but I also have MDC and a couple of others that get thrown into the mix when they tickle my fancy.

The first pass lather was decent, the brush had picked up loads of soap after blooming whilst I was in the shower and it went on nicely. I struggled a little to get a nice thick lather though, it was thick enough, but not as thick as I’m used to using the same technique as I would with my other soaps. The lather felt reasonably protective, not HUGELY slick. I went to lather up for the second pass, the brush still seemingly full of soap, but I just couldn’t build up a quality lather, it would start dissipating quite quickly after application. There could have been a bit too much water left on my face after my first pass rinse, but I didn’t feel like it was any different to normal. A bit disappointing to be honest. That said, I’ll be giving it a go with a drier brush next time as I feel this could be the kicker, we shall see.

On to the shave itself, it was a decent two pass shave, I was left with a few weepers and the irritation on my neck was aggravated as expected. I was going to buy one of these razors, I had one lined up and everything, but have now decided it isn’t for me. I have other razors that give good results every time, this razor, I’ve had a couple of irritating shaves, so for that reason, I’m out. Thank you very much to @Rowlers for the opportunity though, it’s been fun!

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, this was the first use of a rather funky handle as well! I picked this handle up recently and thought, what on earth am I thinking, it’s mad! Well actually, attaching it to the razor head I was pleasantly surprised. I really like it! It’s tactile and feels ergonomic, it’s a good length and the colour is a bit of fun! I’ve attached a couple of pictures of the two sides of the handle so you can see it in a bit more detail.

Have a good Monday gents!

View attachment 14823 View attachment 14824 View attachment 14825
Congratulations on a lovely informative write up and some great pics to follow. :)

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I would agree too, start in the middle although to be fair, it is so smooth anyway #6 could be your plate of choice if you like a little more efficiency!?
Any blade seems to work to, I have even had superb shaves using a Supermax!:eek: