Riding the cap

DeeCee

Dan
Hi chaps, can someone explain to me what this means please. I've seen it multiple times recently, and it's occurred to me that I don't know what exactly the phrase means?

Martini

Forum GOD!
Having the cap of the razor (top plate) sliding at a very shallow angle, almost parallel to your skin/face. For most wet shavers this reduces the aggressiveness of the razor/blade combo, somewhat.

Last edited:

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I've not tried this method consciously, but doesn't the head design and geometry of the blade within the head decide the aggressiveness of the razor? Isn't the right angle for a razor one where the bar, blade and top cap all touch the skin?

R181

Grumpy old man
I habitually ride the top cap no matter what DE I am using. My feeling is that if you ride the bar instead you wind up with a larger angle on the blade which can equate to a scraping rather than cutting action. That can lead to irritation.

Bob

slapo

It's... alive!
I habitually ride the top cap no matter what DE I am using. My feeling is that if you ride the bar instead you wind up with a larger angle on the blade which can equate to a scraping rather than cutting action.
Same here. the shallower the angle, the smoother the shave feels for me. The only exception is working around moles - then I engage the razor guard-first for a tiny bit of skin pre-stretch.

Martini

Forum GOD!
I've not tried this method consciously, but doesn't the head design and geometry of the blade within the head decide the aggressiveness of the razor? Isn't the right angle for a razor one where the bar, blade and top cap all touch the skin?
You're right, theoretically, but there is a variation of the angle, especially in positive blade exposure razors. There you can "ride the cap" or make it "feel the blade" more in opposite direction, at 90 degrees to your face. There is not only one fixed angle, shavers usually play with this variable and find their comfort zone.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
Even with Straight razors, where there are top caps or safety bars, you want to use smallest the angle on the blade that cuts. Even that varies a bit blade to blade as there are slight variances in bevel angles blade to blade. You could be in for a shock the first time you use a GEM SE as the required blade angle, which is similar to a SR, is so different from DEs. Always use the minimum angle on the blade and no more that will get the job done regardless of razor type in use.

Bob

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I've given this some conscious thought during my last few shaves and yes I've noticed a definite difference. Riding the cap does seem to remove the scraping feeling and make things feel smoother.

DeeCee

Dan
Thanks for the clarification guys. I've been experimenting a bit the last couple of shaves, but still don't think I can get the shallower angle quite right. It's taking lots of concentration!

R181

Grumpy old man
Thanks for the clarification guys. I've been experimenting a bit the last couple of shaves, but still don't think I can get the shallower angle quite right. It's taking lots of concentration!
It just takes time and patience for it to become easier to do through muscle memory. You will still have your off days as we all do or at least I do anyway.

Bob

TobyC

Patriot
I always shave that way, it becomes natural very fast. You will be able to shave with any razor without difficulty if you keep the blade angle shallow.