Review REVIEW: Frank Shaving develops an in-house synthetic fibre!!!

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
The brush arrived yesterday and was used this morning.

The knot is much more manageable than the 24 mm Yaqi knots which I think are bigger than the stated size. 24mm is my preferred size
The glue bump is very small.
The fibres appear to behave similarly to the Mühle STF V1. I have never used a V2 STF. Good backbone without a lot of spring and no doughnut when set down between lathers.
Very soft tips in use.
I like it!

I don't think I am premature in saying this is impressive. To the best of my knowledge Synthetics don't have a break-in period. As the OP said........a choice of handles would be nice!

Nav

Forum GOD!
The brush arrived yesterday and was used this morning.

The knot is much more manageable than the 24 mm Yaqi knots which I think are bigger than the stated size. 24mm is my preferred size
The glue bump is very small.
The fibres appear to behave similarly to the Mühle STF V1. I have never used a V2 STF. Good backbone without a lot of spring and no doughnut when set down between lathers.
Very soft tips in use.
I like it!

I don't think I am premature in saying this is impressive. To the best of my knowledge Synthetics don't have a break-in period. As the OP said........a choice of handles would be nice!
Nice! Glad you like the brush.

I find it closer to the muhle v2 personally as the tips are just as soft. The muhle v1 tips are not as soft and it's also a little bit more springy.

The v1 is still my favorite but the FS G4 (as Frank Shaving have named the fibre) is a close second.

Enjoy it mate!! :)

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I now have thee same brush. A few observations:
  • I requested no / small glue bump and FS obliged. It's < 5mm
  • Acrylic handle is very nice but FS decal started wearing off immediately, so I finished the job off a with a little lighter fuel
  • Face feel is identical to Muhle STF v2. I suspect it's been reverse engineered. There are however some very minor cosmetic differences - The light part of the fibres in the FS brush is slightly whiter and marginally shorter at the top of the knot than STF (differences are so small that they don't really show up unless held side by side and examined at close range)

Nav

Forum GOD!
I now have thee same brush. A few observations:
  • I requested no / small glue bump and FS obliged. It's < 5mm
  • Acrylic handle is very nice but FS decal started wearing off immediately, so I finished the job off a with a little lighter fuel
  • Face feel is identical to Muhle STF v2. I suspect it's been reverse engineered. There are however some very minor cosmetic differences - The light part of the fibres in the FS brush is slightly whiter and marginally shorter at the top of the knot than STF (differences are so small that they don't really show up unless held side by side and examined at close range)

Agree with all your observations.
It's basically a budget way to get a Muhle STF v2.

Boycie83

Space Cadet
What about the G4 28mm Nav?
I have that one and like it. Here's a barely useful one liner in a previous SOTD:

That's about as technical as my input gets.

D

Deleted member 1881

I don't have the 28mm G4.
I didn't really feel the need to get it as the 24mm G4 is excellent.

And to be honest, I am finding myself using my badger brushes more than synthetics these days.
Tell me how to stop them from eating my soap please. The full lather stays in the knot. Always.