Resin

wintoid

Out of control
Dumb question alert.

I've never really thought about what brush handles are made from. I guess I'd sort of assumed it was plastic or something.

When we say the handles are made of "resin", what do we really mean? Is this a naturally occurring substance?

Other than wood and metal, what else are handles made from?

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Dumb question alert.

I've never really thought about what brush handles are made from. I guess I'd sort of assumed it was plastic or something.

When we say the handles are made of "resin", what do we really mean? Is this a naturally occurring substance?

The resin brush handles are made from would be polyester resin, so man made, I'm sure there are other types of resin but the poly resin is the most common.
P. :)

Grarea

Forum Plod
I think that is a good question.
So, to my mind, that is plastic, right?
Polyester comes from crude oil which I tend to think means plastic.

Right?

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
There are a lot of differences in quality between different types of resin.
Also, to make something beautiful with resin needs work, fantasy and a lot of "trial and error".
Let alone that you do not pay only for the handle.
For me, 50-60€ is a fair price for a quality resin handle with fantasy. :)

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I think that is a good question.
So, to my mind, that is plastic, right?
Polyester comes from crude oil which I tend to think means plastic.

Right?
There are so many types of plastic some cheap some not so, the polyester resin is a two part resin, the resin and then the catalyst to make it harden.
You can get thermo plastics that are usually injection moulded and go hard when cool and there many others so yes plastic but there is more to it than crude oil = Plastic. P.

Grarea

Forum Plod
There are so many types of plastic some cheap some not so, the polyester resin is a two part resin, the resin and then the catalyst to make it harden.
You can get thermo plastics that are usually injection moulded and go hard when cool and there many others so yes plastic but there is more to it than crude oil = Plastic. P.
Yes, sure, I understand.
Thanks.

Tzimisce

Forum GOD!
It is also the cost of the tools needed.
You can not say "resin costs 20€ / 500ml, I used 200ml, I will be fine with 10€". :)

ESBrushmaker

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Dumb question alert.

Not a "Dumb Question" by any means. (A very good question, actually.) If you will, this writer would like to offer a few thoughts on this subject based on his experience. Others, of course, might wish to weigh in.

"Resin" per se, most often refers to cast polyester resins: liquid (synthetic) resins mixed with a catalyst--and most often various colorants--poured into a mold and allowed to cure. There are many different forms of cast polyester resin, but this writer is not a chemist able to know, let alone explain, these differences. So for our purposes, and because there's little difference in every day use, let's just lump them all under the heading of "cast polyester."

Cast polyester is probably the most commonly used brush handle material today. It's readily available in rod form commercially and also as liquid "casting resins" which many artisans use to "roll their own." Cast polyester machines ("turns") easily with proper tools and techniques. It takes and holds fine detail well, polishes to a brilliant luster, and is durable in use. It's one drawback is that cast polyester tends to crack/break if dropped onto a hard surface like a tile floor. Otherwise, cast polyester is probably closest to the ideal brush making material.

Other commonly used brush handle materials include different woods, horn, various metals, acrylics, molded plastics, stone and metal composites, and most recently, Ebonite. Brushes have, of course, been made in other materials: early plastics like Bakelite and Catalan, (which have fallen out of use for very good reasons we won't go into), along with Amber, Ivory (from elephants and walruses), and many others.

Very briefly:
  • Wood: depending on the species, wood is probably the easiest to machine. The largest challenge with wood, especially the rosewoods, is proper finishing. Wooden handles must be properly finished in order to stand up to the wet shaving environment. (A complex topic in and of itself, best left to another day. We might also include manufactured woods including those infused with epoxy or polyester resins under pressure.) Wooden handles are typically lighter in weight requiring the maker to add weight to the handle in order to achieve proper balance. Nevertheless, a properly-made wooden handle can be quite attractive and serviceable.

• Horn: Most typically from bovine species (Cows, Bulls, Water Buffalo, etc.) Horn can be made into quite attractive brush handles. However, unless properly dried, horn is subject to cracking ("checking") and delamination--problems widely discussed on the shaving forums. Properly dried horn is expensive and finding a reliable supplier can be a challenge, at least in North America.

• Metal: Brush handles can (and have been) machined from just about any metal imaginable: steel, aluminum, brass, bronze, silver, etc. Each has its own characteristics which, again, this writer lacks the expertise to discuss in detail. The most common disadvantage to metal handles is that unless the maker takes care, they will be unduly heavy.

• Acrylics: Comparatively hard transparent plastics sold under the trade names of Crylux, Plexiglas, Acrylite, Lucite, Perspex, and others can occasionally be found in brush handles. (Morris & Forndran, for example, made a few brushes from Lucite some years ago. This writer's limited experience with this material suggests that, due to its hardness, acylics are probably best machined on a metal (ideally CNC) lathe. This writer found acrylics difficult to polish and because of the way light refracts within the curves of a brush handle, found that even the smallest scratches are easily magnified, becoming quite distracting. (If you get the idea this writer doesn't care much for acrylics, you would be quite correct.)

• Molded Plastics: We use this term to refer to the molded plastic brush handles that occasionally turn up in some of the less expensive vintage brushes and also in the few contemporary Vulfix brushes this writer has handled.

• Stone/Metal Composites: These are "space-age" materials made from powdered or "atomized" metals--or metal combinations--or stones combined with appropriate adhesive binders. Such composites are easily machined on common wood lathes. They will take a certain amount of fine detail and, in the hands of the accomplished maker, can be made into quite striking brush and razor handles. Some metal composites (e.g., brass or bronze) will "age" to a nice patina. Such handles tend to be slightly heavier than cast polyester equivalents, but lighter than those machined from pure metal.

• Ebonite: Ebonite is a form of hard rubber that's been recently introduced to the wet shaving world--and become somewhat popular of late. It machines fairly easily, although due to its comparative softness, Ebonite doesn't lend itself to fine detail as well as metals or cast polyesters. Because it's a softer material, an Ebonite brush might be better able to withstanding a fall than (say) one in cast polyester. Finishing Ebonite does pose unique challenges as the maker must take additional time and exercise great care to remove all tool marks and "tear-out." (That nasty whitish "frizz" often found in between grooves.) For those reasons, Ebonite seems to best lend itself to handle patterns containing minimal detail. At least at present, Ebonite brushes tend to sell at a significant premium due to finishing time and raw material costs. Yet despite all that, when worked by an accomplished maker, an Ebonite handle can be quite stunning with its often vivid coloration and brilliant finish. This writer expects to see more Ebonite brushes become available as more major makers and at least one or two smaller ones introduce them.
Anyway, if there are any errors in the above; this writer hopes they will be quickly forgotten.

Last edited:

wintoid

Out of control
Not a "Dumb Question" by any means. (A very good question, actually.) If you will, this writer would like to offer a few thoughts on this subject based on his experience. Others, of course, might wish to weigh in.
Brad I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to thank you for a very comprehensive, educational and yet humble answer! Chapeau!

So would a handle from APShave or Yaqi be a molded plastic?

Wilga

Forum GOD!

"Resin" per se, most often refers to cast polyester resins: liquid (synthetic) resins mixed with a catalyst--and most often various colorants--poured into a mold and allowed to cure. There are many different forms of cast polyester resin, but this writer is not a chemist able to know, let alone explain, these differences. So for our purposes, and because there's little difference in every day use, let's just lump them all under the heading of "cast polyester."

Cast polyester is probably the most commonly used brush handle material today. It's readily available in rod form commercially and also as liquid "casting resins" which many artisans use to "roll their own." Cast polyester machines ("turns") easily with proper tools and techniques. It takes and holds fine detail well, polishes to a brilliant luster, and is durable in use. It's one drawback is that cast polyester tends to crack/break if dropped onto a hard surface like a tile floor. Otherwise, cast polyester is probably closest to the ideal brush making material.

Other commonly used brush handle materials include different woods, horn, various metals, acrylics, molded plastics, stone and metal composites, and most recently, Ebonite. Brushes have, of course, been made in other materials: early plastics like Bakelite and Catalan, (which have fallen out of use for very good reasons we won't go into), along with Amber, Ivory (from elephants and walruses), and many others.

Very briefly:
  • Wood: depending on the species, wood is probably the easiest to machine. The largest challenge with wood, especially the rosewoods, is proper finishing. Wooden handles must be properly finished in order to stand up to the wet shaving environment. (A complex topic in and of itself, best left to another day. We might also include manufactured woods including those infused with epoxy or polyester resins under pressure.) Wooden handles are typically lighter in weight requiring the maker to add weight to the handle in order to achieve proper balance. Nevertheless, a properly-made wooden handle can be quite attractive and serviceable.

• Horn: Most typically from bovine species (Cows, Bulls, Water Buffalo, etc.) Horn can be made into quite attractive brush handles. However, unless properly dried, horn is subject to cracking ("checking") and delamination--problems widely discussed on the shaving forums. Properly dried horn is expensive and finding a reliable supplier can be a challenge, at least in North America.

• Metal: Brush handles can (and have been) machined from just about any metal imaginable: steel, aluminum, brass, bronze, silver, etc. Each has its own characteristics which, again, this writer lacks the expertise to discuss in detail. The most common disadvantage to metal handles is that unless the maker takes care, they will be unduly heavy.

• Acrylics: Comparatively hard transparent plastics sold under the trade names of Crylux, Plexiglas, Acrylite, Lucite, Perspex, and others can occasionally be found in brush handles. (Morris & Forndran, for example, made a few brushes from Lucite some years ago. This writer's limited experience with this material suggests that, due to its hardness, acylics are probably best machined on a metal (ideally CNC) lathe. This writer found acrylics difficult to polish and because of the way light refracts within the curves of a brush handle, found that even the smallest scratches are easily magnified, becoming quite distracting. (If you get the idea this writer doesn't care much for acrylics, you would be quite correct.)

• Molded Plastics: We use this term to refer to the molded plastic brush handles that occasionally turn up in some of the less expensive vintage brushes and also in the few contemporary Vulfix brushes this writer has handled.

• Stone/Metal Composites: These are "space-age" materials made from powdered or "atomized" metals--or metal combinations--or stones combined with appropriate adhesive binders. Such composites are easily machined on common wood lathes. They will take a certain amount of fine detail and, in the hands of the accomplished maker, can be made into quite striking brush and razor handles. Some metal composites (e.g., brass or bronze) will "age" to a nice patina. Such handles tend to be slightly heavier than cast polyester equivalents, but lighter than those machined from pure metal.

• Ebonite: Ebonite is a form of hard rubber that's been recently introduced to the wet shaving world--and become somewhat popular of late. It machines fairly easily, although due to its comparative softness, Ebonite doesn't lend itself to fine detail as well as metals or cast polyesters. Because it's a softer material, an Ebonite brush might be better able to withstanding a fall than (say) one in cast polyester. Finishing Ebonite does pose unique challenges as the maker must take additional time and exercise great care to remove all tool marks and "tear-out." (That nasty whitish "frizz" often found in between grooves.) For those reasons, Ebonite seems to best lend itself to handle patterns containing minimal detail. At least at present, Ebonite brushes tend to sell at a significant premium due to finishing time and raw material costs. Yet despite all that, when worked by an accomplished maker, an Ebonite handle can be quite stunning with its often vivid coloration and brilliant finish. This writer expects to see more Ebonite brushes become available as more major makers and at least one or two smaller ones introduce them.
Anyway, if there are any errors in the above; this writer hopes they will be quickly forgotten.
A great explanation. I’m now more informed on the differences in handles. Than you.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I don't know because I've never had the occasion to examine a brush by either maker. Perhaps someone might weigh in?
My YaQi Moka Express badger brush has a good quality resin handle with some weight to it. You can usually tell by the weight , the more it weighs the better the quality .
Paul.