Refreshing Hones

UKRob

Forum GOD!
That's the one - I actually use 33 which I believe is a bit thinner, but it will make absolutely no difference when honing - just fractions of a degree.

I generally use just one layer - that is just to protect the spine from undue wear. Occasionally I get a razor that is so worn that more layers are needed to ensure the bevel is relatively small. It's just a question of geometry really, if you consider that the bevel angle is dictated by the spine width/razor width ratio, then wear on the spine reduces the angle and tends to make the bevel wide, therefore using tape builds up the spine width and increases the angle. It's more noticeable with older blades with near wedge grinds - as soon as the angle changes, the bevel starts getting wider and wider.

Godfather

Forum GOD!
That's the one - I actually use 33 which I believe is a bit thinner, but it will make absolutely no difference when honing - just fractions of a degree.

I generally use just one layer - that is just to protect the spine from undue wear. Occasionally I get a razor that is so worn that more layers are needed to ensure the bevel is relatively small. It's just a question of geometry really, if you consider that the bevel angle is dictated by the spine width/razor width ratio, then wear on the spine reduces the angle and tends to make the bevel wide, therefore using tape builds up the spine width and increases the angle. It's more noticeable with older blades with near wedge grinds - as soon as the angle changes, the bevel starts getting wider and wider.
Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

Hi gents
I've looked for some info regarding this but didn't have any luck. Is it worth finishing on a 16k after the 12k? I've shaved off a 20k which is fantastic but they're very expensive and I can't see myself buying one. The 16k however is pretty affordable and I'm thinking it'll get me that much closer to a 20k?
I should say that there's nothing wrong with the edges I'm getting from the 12k, they're smooth and comfortable. Am I wasting my time with this?
Thanks

JamieM

Forum GOD!
Hi gents
I've looked for some info regarding this but didn't have any luck. Is it worth finishing on a 16k after the 12k? I've shaved off a 20k which is fantastic but they're very expensive and I can't see myself buying one. The 16k however is pretty affordable and I'm thinking it'll get me that much closer to a 20k?
I should say that there's nothing wrong with the edges I'm getting from the 12k, they're smooth and comfortable. Am I wasting my time with this?
Thanks
There's no noticeable gain to be had using a 16K after the Naniwa 12K, don't waste your money.

Billyfergie

Forum GOD!
Hi gents
Thanks
1 Micron = 16 K Lapping Film will Pick Up an Edge to 20 K in the Right Hands Especially When a Tad Worn....It has a Far Higher Finishing Capacity than its Factory Grit Rating..The High Grit Edge it Can Produce Suits Some Razors Better than Others..I Can Hit 17 K with about 30 Strokes on 1 Micron Lapping Film Coming Off a Recent Generation 12 K Naniwa Super Stone..You Can Get a Very Comfortable & Sharp Edge..:p:

Billy

1 Micron = 16 K Lapping Film will Pick Up an Edge to 20 K in the Right Hands Especially When a Tad Worn....It has a Far Higher Finishing Capacity than its Factory Grit Rating..The High Grit Edge it Can Produce Suits Some Razors Better than Others..I Can Hit 17 K with about 30 Strokes on 1 Micron Lapping Film Coming Off a Recent Generation 12 K Naniwa Super Stone..You Can Get a Very Comfortable & Sharp Edge..:p:

Billy
Thanks Billy:okay:

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
I've never used a Naniwa stone so I don't know it compares to the result you get with a Thuringian natural stone.

I've used a Thuringian stone for 3 years now and it's easy to use to refresh my SRs, I'm happy with the results but then again I don't know other stones.... my first ever razor was honed with Naniwa stones but I hated the edge, maybe it was me just learning to shave, then I got another that was fine but I can't remember what it was honed with. The third was honed on a Thuringian and to this day it's my favorite edge.

Can anyone compare a Thuringian to a Naniwa 12k ?

JamieM

Forum GOD!
The Naniwa 12K is the universally excepted has the go-to finishing stone for the vast majority of straight razor users, so I guess it's down to what kind of edge you like, if you are happy with your Thurnigian my advice would be to stick with it.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
The Naniwa 12K is the universally excepted go-to finishing stone for the vast majority of straight razor users, so I guess it's down to what kind of edge you like, if you are happy with your Thurnigian my advice would be to stick with it.
I think that is really good advice to stick with the Thurnigian if you are happy with it. You can wind up chasing your tail if you start down the path of trying different finishers.

Bob

UKRob

Forum GOD!
@Merkurologist - I’ve got a slightly different take on it. As you say, you were learning to shave at the time so this could have affected your opinion of the Naniwa edge so why not give them another chance now that you are more experienced? My highest grit Naniwa is a 10k as I use either a Gokumyu 20k or Japanese stone as a finisher - but if you would like to compare any of these I’ll hone one of your razors for postage only. You can always revert to the Thuringian if you decide it’s not for you.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
@Merkurologist - I’ve got a slightly different take on it. As you say, you were learning to shave at the time so this could have affected your opinion of the Naniwa edge so why not give them another chance now that you are more experienced? My highest grit Naniwa is a 10k as I use either a Gokumyu 20k or Japanese stone as a finisher - but if you would like to compare any of these I’ll hone one of your razors for postage only. You can always revert to the Thuringian if you decide it’s not for you.
Thank you, that's a very kind offer, I might just take you up on it :)

It's quite possible that it was me not knowing / understanding how to use the edge.