Recommend a Slant

oscar11

Forum GOD!
I was surprised to receive the Blue Phantom so soon. I did a one wtg pass just to check out the shave results. I was impressed. My normal routine would be a one pass shave with a straight razor. I get really good close comfortable shaves with my straight and see no reasons for more passes. The Phantom was comparable in closeness but not comfort. I don’t want to give the impression it was terrible or bad it just wasn’t as comfortable as my straight. It’s been years since I’ve used my Slim
BC55D36A-2F90-4A1D-A9E2-61D692C29DE5.jpeg
so I have nothing to compare it to.

Estariol

Forum GOD!
I didn't know you are using straights... To be honest, nothing compares to a shave with a straight... after shaves with a straight and my chinese Artist club Feather S clone shavette, it's very hard to get myself to pick up a DE razor... I did try a 3D printed slant head that was given to me to try out, and it was great, but not as great as my straight or AC shavette shaves...

hotmetal

Legendary Member
Although blade exposure is maybe 5/8" rather than 0.1mm 😂

Jokes aside, yeah in a sense straight shaving is 100% "aggressive" in the DE sense of the word, but it's not comparable because you're in charge of the blade and if it's a good edge you get an unbeatable smooth shave. I mix and match depending on time, don't usually use my straights on work days but save for the weekend when I can relax and take my time.

R181

Grumpy old man
I used to shave with a straight razor for about 10 years until my hands started acting up. All I can say, is that I get as good a shave with a DE as I did with a straight razor. DEs are called safety razors for a reason. That is, they force you to find the right angle for the blade in order to shave well. A straight razor will shave at quite a few different angles and can cut you on any of them.

I can say that I did get far more satisfaction from the act of using a straight razor to get a good shave. With a DE it all seems too easy but sometimes you need easy.

Bob

oscar11

Forum GOD!
I’m just curious to see how good of shave I can get with a d.e. Slant. I enjoy messing around but hopefully won’t go down the bunny hole.

oscar11

Forum GOD!
Well, that was easy. Very smooth shave, matter of fact, I’d have to say I don’t believe I’ve ever had a better DE shave. Just for reference I’m 69 years old and wet shaved my entire life. Thanks for the advice. I do have another slant in transit.
B135245E-D74E-4738-BBC8-F843164BEEEF.jpeg

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I used to shave with a straight razor for about 10 years until my hands started acting up. All I can say, is that I get as good a shave with a DE as I did with a straight razor. DEs are called safety razors for a reason. That is, they force you to find the right angle for the blade in order to shave well. A straight razor will shave at quite a few different angles and can cut you on any of them.

I can say that I did get far more satisfaction from the act of using a straight razor to get a good shave. With a DE it all seems too easy but sometimes you need easy.

Bob
The thought of using a straight razor terrifies me even though I have a steady hand. They’re not called cutthroats for nothing. I applaud all you chaps who use them though. To quote Kipling, “…You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.”

hotmetal

Legendary Member
Ah but that's the fun of it! Not dicing with death exactly, but the fact it forces you to focus. With a 7/8 square point at your throat, it's hard (or at least, inadvisable) to think of the crap that awaits you at work. 15-20 minutes of calm and meditation essentially. Though if I'm already 'on edge' or wound up I reach for the Tech rather than one of the straights out of sheer self preservation, even though I have never done worse than a little self-healing nick here or there.

Last edited:

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
The thought of using a straight razor terrifies me even though I have a steady hand. They’re not called cutthroats for nothing. I applaud all you chaps who use them though. To quote Kipling, “…You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.”
I should add that I do tense up even when being shaved by a skilled barber with a straight. I try visualise that I’m somewhere else than sitting in the chair.

hotmetal

Legendary Member
Some guy I look out for on Flickr had a fantastic candid shot of a guy getting a straight razor shave at the barber's. The grimace and the look of sheer terror in his eyes made it one of the most memorable photos I've seen. I'm still asking myself why he went there though, unless for a dare, or 'bucket list' experience.

The main thing is to be aware of the toe/point and always make sure the pressure is super light and the direction of travel is 'push' not 'slice' and all will be mostly well.