Razor blade tabs, covered or uncovered?

Blade tabs Covered or uncovered

• Total voters

MntnMan62

Legendary Member
I never really gave it much thought until I nicked my ears with the exposed tabs. And when I nick my earlobes, it takes days to heal. That said, I still use vintage razors as much as I use my newer razors that cover the tabs. So, for me, as others have said, it's a non-event.

donnie_arko

Veteran
I used a Silver Blue today that will prove you wrong! :laugh:

I like SE and DE, one's not better than the other, they're just different.
The Silver Blue is a fine blade, but I think of the 50-60 different DE blades I have tried near enough all the modern Gillette blades I have used (around 15) be it from China, India or Russia all largely seem to produce exceptional results, but like with any blades YMMV applies.

I also like a small razor head with the tabs uncovered, as it's easier to lift the blade by the tabs after use.

Thanks for that, looks a goldmine of fascinating info.

How cool is this?

MntnMan62

Legendary Member
The Silver Blue is a fine blade, but I think of the 50-60 different DE blades I have tried near enough all the modern Gillette blades I have used (around 15) be it from China, India or Russia all largely seem to produce exceptional results, but like with any blades YMMV applies.

I also like a small razor head with the tabs uncovered, as it's easier to lift the blade by the tabs after use.

Thanks for that, looks a goldmine of fascinating info.

How cool is this?
Very cool. Makes me want to take up smoking.

Memhis

Legendary Member
Good question. I prefer covered. And passed to buy some razors only because of that. A slim profile is a very desirable feature too. At so many offers at the market today, a man have options to choose what is good/efficient for him, and still satisfies in optically way.

Hone

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Covered, although it makes the head bulkier I prefer the more refined look and feel. Wonder if it would be possible to persuade a factory to make some old school 3 hole blades...🤔

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Uncovered allows a lighter weight head, smaller head and easier to remove old blades. I also really like my covered ends Pils razor.

In terms of looking to buy a razor, covered/uncovered head ranks far down on my list of desirable features.

Steinmetzify

Über Member
Chose uncovered because my Blackbird is my #1 and they’re not covered.

Dig it when they are though, worst cut I ever had lately was from my Karve from a damn blade tab on my earlobe.