PSA for Cello Music Fans

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Got them on CD (by Yo-Yo Ma, Rostropovich, Pablo Casals, and Edgar Meyer on double bass - I do love my Bach Cello Suites), but I'll errrmmm... "make a personal copy of the video for offline viewing" should be the correct term.
One of the best living cellist playing some of the most beautiful music written for his instrument? Yeah.
Thanks for drawing my attention to this gem.

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
He is doing the entire 2 1/2 hour set of six cello suites FROM MEMORY!
With his eyes closed for most of the time.
Maybe it's his 300-year-old cello that knows the music by heart.
Thanks again @churchilllafemme for mentioning it.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Review:
It just finished. I merely intended to watch bits of it and download the whole thing later.
I stayed with it for the entire 2 1/2 hours.
It was an interesting performance. Bach would have been shocked.
Yo-Yo Ma took a lot of liberties. You can tell that he has played a bit much bluegrass (yes, bluegrass) in his life.
It was very playful with a few more syncopations than Bach wrote into the score. Brilliant.
The first and only time I saw Yo-Yo Ma on stage was in the mid-90s with Edgar Meyer and Mark O'Connor when they were performing their bluegrass/classical crossover album Apalachia Waltz at the Barbican in London.
Never before or afterwards have I seen an audience with so many huge grins on their faces after a performance, me included.
Overall a very pleasurable performance. Bach and Bluegrass will go straight back onto my playlist. (Well, Bach is always on it anyway)

P.S.: I'm glad I watched it. They set the video to private right away, so it can't be downloaded. Bastards.