Pre-shave recommendations?

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
I've got on well with Nuage and Floid so was wondering where to go next.

Oils seem to work for me but what else might members recommend? I like Proraso soaps, so how about their pre-shave products?

Thanks!

steve

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Wash your beard with soap prior to shaving. I think some are using argan oil soaps for this purpose. I‘m currently using a beard conditioning soap from Fitjar that I received as a sample. I think most any mild facial soap will do the trick.

I feel that when washing any oil from the folicles, they soak up water more readily. I wouldn‘t test that theory with any physicists on here though.

Martini

Forum GOD!
If you don’t mind mentholated products you may try Head Slick. There is nothing slicker on the market. A drop or two is enough, plus it enhances the lather substantially, afterwards (serves as a liquid shaving cream).

I personally stick to Grooming Dept Pre-shave (9 different scents).

Good luck finding the best one for you. :)

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Edwin Jagger Hydrating pre shave has been my choice for years now. I prefer it to Proraso and Myresol and a few oils I tried. It works best for me if I apply a hot flannel for a minute or so on top of the pre shave.

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
Wash your beard with soap prior to shaving. I think some are using argan oil soaps for this purpose. I‘m currently using a beard conditioning soap from Fitjar that I received as a sample. I think most any mild facial soap will do the trick.
I feel that when washing any oil from the folicles, they soak up water more readily. I wouldn‘t test that theory with any physicists on here though
^^^^ What he said. A pre wash from any soap that can remove oil from skin around hair follicle, oil from bristles is enough to boost water wicking and absorption by hair.
I find them pre shaves are no better than snake oil. I tried grooming dept after it was touted by fanboys as bees knees for a pre shave. It wasn't bad but not good enough to invest more time, money and extra step in routine. If someone shaves after shower, then pre shave is perhaps an overkill.
But each to his own pleasure.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
^^^^ What he said. A pre wash from any soap that can remove oil from skin around hair follicle, oil from bristles is enough to boost water wicking and absorption by hair.
I find them pre shaves are no better than snake oil. I tried grooming dept after it was touted by fanboys as bees knees for a pre shave. It wasn't bad but not good enough to invest more time, money and extra step in routine. If someone shaves after shower, then pre shave is perhaps an overkill.
But each to his own pleasure.
I never get tired of reminding people that their experience is based on a sample of one and is not statistically relevant.

R181

Grumpy old man
What is a pre shave? :wink: Never heard of the idea until I landed on shave forums a few years ago and tried a few out. Went back to just splashing my face with cold water, lather up and shave. The extra effort of a pre shave never seemed to make much of a difference to my shaves. It's a YMMV thing I suppose and if it works for you why not.

Bob

D

Deleted member 1881

Ach Brito has some Glycerin & Alcohol based pre shave round soaps which work wonders if you wash your face prior to shave. Any pure glycerin soap will work as well.

As for the oils, if you overdo it with them, the blade skips and doesn't cut. Bluebeards Revenge make a thick oil, 3 drops and you can start the shave.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Since I have no skin in the game, please feel free to ignore the following:

I give my beard a quick wash with the proto-lather that I wipe from the surface of the soap that hasn’t made it into the knot. I then crack on with face lathering. I’ve done this since the early days when I realised that the lather on my second pass tended to be the slickest and most protective.

As such, I haven’t tried many and none at all in several years. Of those that I did have a crack at, I remember Myrsol Emulsion being decent.