Poly webbing, do you use it?

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
I am just curious whether people use any other fabric strops than traditional linen. My current strop has leather, rough linen and poly webbing (which I wasn't really familiar with before), and I have started getting some surprisingly good results with some razors from the poly webbing. My impression is that it works a bit better on some razors than either soft or rough linen. For other razors, it doesn't seem to make a difference. What are your experiences?

RussellR5555

Forum GOD!
I haven't tried it , i have a cotton strop , but my favourite is Flax Linnen on my Vegan Strop from Tony Miller. I have heard other people say they get good results from Poly webbing.

Straight up

Zwilling I picked up a Dovo strop with leather and cotton webbing at Christmas. I use it as a daily driver now, previously using a double leather strop. I'm not regularly using the cotton side, it seems a little 'rough' to me. I understand that it is usually given a chrome oxide smearing and becomes the rough side, while the calf leather is the finish side. I haven't applied CrOx. Stroping on it makes a funny noise, unlike leather, so it seems a little odd. Mind you I have seen people using canvas hose too; that seems a little too rough.

My old strop (22 years old now) is my favorite but I am working on understanding the new strop. When a razor is misbehaving I take it to the cotton side otherwise I just use the leather side.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Over on SRP a few years ago there was a thread about applying lead to a webbing strop over a number of weeks - apparently it creates a white chalky surface. Once the chalky surface is established, the strop produces a very smooth edge that a number of well regarded contributors said was the best they had experienced. I suppose there would be concerns about using a razor that had been exposed to lead but, if another strop was used before shaving, any traces would be minuscule.

Steve56

Veteran
I’m getting ready to. I bought some polyester firehose webbing off eBay, but the surface was not flat enough for razor stropping so I never really used it.

Victor, aka Bluesman7 who is a knife and razor maker, posted on B&B that the polyester secondary that he got from Tom, aka Sharptonn on SRP, was one of the best secondaries that he ever used. He said that anything over 4-6 strokes was too much and attributed the aggressive nature to silicon used in curing the poly. I don’t know if this is relevant or not, but I trusted Victor’s opinion enough to try and find one.

Tom has a Tripoli boarhide strop with one of these poly secondaries for sale with a razor at a price that was not attractive to me, but one came up on a BST and I bought it. He was reconditioning unused vintage Tripoli boar hide leathers and equipping them with this poly. I asked if he had just the poly but he did not IIRC. The attractive thing about this secondary is that it lays flat enough to strop a straight razor.

Here’s an image, not that it helps much, but I hope to be able to provide more information before long. Apologies for not being much help.

9861D534-90D0-421A-8562-A17A74578C9D.jpeg

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I’m getting ready to. I bought some polyester firehose webbing off eBay, but the surface was not flat enough for razor stropping so I never really used it.

Victor, aka Bluesman7 who is a knife and razor maker, posted on B&B that the polyester secondary that he got from Tom, aka Sharptonn on SRP, was one of the best secondaries that he ever used. He said that anything over 4-6 strokes was too much and attributed the aggressive nature to silicon used in curing the poly. I don’t know if this is relevant or not, but I trusted Victor’s opinion enough to try and find one.

Tom has a Tripoli boarhide strop with one of these poly secondaries for sale with a razor at a price that was not attractive to me, but one came up on a BST and I bought it. He was reconditioning unused vintage Tripoli boar hide leathers and equipping them with this poly. I asked if he had just the poly but he did not IIRC. The attractive thing about this secondary is that it lays flat enough to strop a straight razor.

Here’s an image, not that it helps much, but I hope to be able to provide more information before long. Apologies for not being much help.

View attachment 86367
Steve, Sharptonn was one of the main contributors to the lead coated strop I mentioned above. If you are still in contact with him it would be useful to find out if he still uses it and whether his opinion is still positive.

Steve56

Veteran
Steve, Sharptonn was one of the main contributors to the lead coated strop I mentioned above. If you are still in contact with him it would be useful to find out if he still uses it and whether his opinion is still positive.
I’m pretty sure that he does, but I will ask. I had a recent conversation with Mike Hoskins, aka ‘Outback’ about the poly since he has one of the boar hide strops, but he does not use the poly if he ever had it. He said that he used a leaded linen, but only after honing.

Steve56

Veteran
I PMed him and reviewed some other messages. Sharptonn is using a leaded ‘rough’ strop, probably a Herald/Dovo.