Photo of the day

Vacumatic

Testy
One of the most beautiful villages in Cornwall.

Paul.

Speaking of Devon and Cornwall, has anyone taken their dog down the main street of Clovelly. My normally placid and calm dog kicked up a real fuss when we asked her to walk down the main street, she was labrador sized and a really good and well behaved dog, even when I carried her she still wriggled and struggled to go back to the car, never behaved that way before or since.

clovelly-down-hill.jpg

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Speaking of Devon and Cornwall, has anyone taken their dog down the main street of Clovelly. My normally placid and calm dog kicked up a real fuss when we asked her to walk down the main street, she was labrador sized and a really good and well behaved dog, even when I carried her she still wriggled and struggled to go back to the car, never behaved that way before or since.

View attachment 97699
Just up the road from me. Never taken the dog there, nice place but paying to walk down there……….NAH !

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!

View attachment 97699
Odd behaviour, I cannot think what would have caused this!

Paul.

UKRob

Forum GOD!

View attachment 97699
Maybe it’s that high pitched whining about incoming house buyers from the locals that she was picking up.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Maybe it’s that high pitched whining about incoming house buyers from the locals that she was picking up.
I’m not a proper local, but when we moved here we got the “is it a second home” treatment. House prices here have rocketed, people seem to think that we haven’t had Covid here or we haven’t been effected too. My wife had a colleague tell her that they overheard someone who was being berated for not wearing a face mask a while ago exclaim we have come here to get away from all of that.

What is big on the moaning agenda is for example a small village near us called Appledore, most of it has become second homes. My wife was nursing a Appledore local once. She was shit chatting and the woman said she lived in Appledore. My wife said that was nice as it is a nice enough fishing village. The old woman said not it’s not really, most the houses are empty no one lives there and there is no community.

Our next door neighbours are “incomers” Came for the surf, absolute arseholes, row and argue, try and wind up people. We have the Police around on quite a regular basis for domestic disturbance. Didn‘t look into the surf here though and it’s not as good as they want so we are hoping, praying and looking forward to them moving. You come here for a quieter life.

Some like us are “incomers”, we have been here 11 years, that said we do embrace the community as Scouting leaders and helpers. Sadly many young people though are now priced out. My wife’s colleague is born an breed, her sale recently fell through so it went back on the market and a price war erupted. I can understand the whining. But, Clovelly, they won’t buy a house there, whole village owned by 2-3 people, they wouldn’t even rent to Grockles.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
@Northam Saint - don’t get me wrong Saint - that was a tongue in cheek remark. However, I do get a bit pissed off with the attitude of some West Country residents who resent holidaymakers. My experience goes back well over 50 years when my brother bought a guest house in Newquay, Cornwall. The whole town, like many others in Devon and Cornwall was and is reliant on tourism to the extent that if there was a vast reduction, the youngsters who find difficulty in getting on the housing market, would be moving out because there would be no work. The fact is, the youngsters in holiday hotspots are really no different to youngsters in major cities - they all find it difficult to afford housing in the areas and standards they are accustomed to. I gave my granddaughter an example when she was complaining - I pointed out that if she wanted a house the same as where I bought her mother up, it was well within her purchasing power. The fact is she wanted the equivalent of where she was bought up, which is a different proposition altogether.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
@Northam Saint - don’t get me wrong Saint - that was a tongue in cheek remark. However, I do get a bit pissed off with the attitude of some West Country residents who resent holidaymakers. My experience goes back well over 50 years when my brother bought a guest house in Newquay, Cornwall. The whole town, like many others in Devon and Cornwall was and is reliant on tourism to the extent that if there was a vast reduction, the youngsters who find difficulty in getting on the housing market, would be moving out because there would be no work. The fact is, the youngsters in holiday hotspots are really no different to youngsters in major cities - they all find it difficult to afford housing in the areas and standards they are accustomed to. I gave my granddaughter an example when she was complaining - I pointed out that if she wanted a house the same as where I bought her mother up, it was well within her purchasing power. The fact is she wanted the equivalent of where she was bought up, which is a different proposition altogether.
Oh yeah some “proper“ locals are right idiots. Where we are relies on the tourist industry and it brings millions in to the area from Easter through to the end of September. In general it’s the older generation that berate holiday makers and movers in.

We have seen some local properties with items written in deeds and tied properties, ones where they need to be agricultural workers.

I had a bust up with another scout leader once. His wife was berating non locals, by this she was aiming at me as not a proper local. On the whole if you live here you shortly get accepted in to the community and it being a small town you get recognised, especially for me as a Scout Leader. That said my Southampton / Hampshire accent gets a “you on holiday” question.

When we moved here we paid £155,000 for a three bed semi town house. Moving from a two bed terrace at the same sort of price. Now our place here is around £255,000. Of course everything else has gone up at the same rate. My son will start his last Uni year in September, I doubt very much he will return home here, simply no jobs in his chosen career.