Peering into the rabbit hole ... Japanese brands?

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Any thoughts or guidance would be hugely appreciated ...

I am thinking of dipping my toe into the straight razor waters. I have never so much as touched a straight razor before, but I feel like I have to do this, otherwise I can't call myself a man. (Just kidding, but I really do want to try this.) For now, I am looking for a cost-effective option, that is good quality but value for money -- probably used since I am not a fan of the standard black plastic scales seen with so many starter razors.

For some reason I am drawn to Japanese razors more so than, say, German. Are there any good Japanese brands that I should consider for a starter razor? Preference for:

+ $50-75 price range, so clearly used. Looking for value; good quality at a great price.
+ Stainless steel over carbon steel since I am naturally lazy and want to minimize the upkeep. But needs to be hard so it keeps an edge longer.
+ Acrylic or pearl tangs -- not black plastic, bone or wood.
+ Not too fussed about the grind since I don't know better anyway, but maybe not a full wedge.
+ Not kamisori style; I'm planning on getting a Feather DX at some point for that.

Last edited:

Steve

Boomer Member
If you can contact one of our old members, @Billyfergie, not only can he answer any question you might have about Japanese razors in particular, he can answer any SR question in general. There is also Drew Dick, who is a local SR craftsman., although he tends to shave with homemade battle axes.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
Jamie's advice is excellent. Your price range more or less rules out Japanese western straight razors in good condition, since these are highly sought after and more rare than German or English razors. Dip your toes in with a well-honed starter razor, and use the time it takes to develop your shaving and stropping skills to save up for a nice vintage Japanese razor. Your first car shouldn't be a Ferrari :okay:

Edited to say forget about stainless steel for now - carbon steel is the standard. Just remember to carefully dry your razor after shaving.

Steve

Boomer Member
Be prepared to spend hours maintaining your razor before, and after the shave. There's a lot of work involved with SRs.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
Be prepared to spend hours maintaining your razor before, and after the shave. There's a lot of work involved with SRs.
I don't know about hours... A couple of minutes for stropping before and after shaving. 20 minutes on honing once a month - if at all. But yes, the fussing has to appeal to you because straight shaving is definitely more labour intensive than DE's.

Dr Watson

James
Can only echo what's been said above.

Forget about cosmetics and focus on what makes a razor ideal for learning on: Vintage Sheffield or Solingen, 5/8" to 6/8" with a round point. Scale material and steel type are irrelevant if you don't even know how to use the tool... Apologies if that comes across as harsh, I don't mean it that way, just stating a fact :)

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Forget about cosmetics and focus on what makes a razor ideal for learning on: Vintage Sheffield or Solingen, 5/8" to 6/8" with a round point. Scale material and steel type are irrelevant if you don't even know how to use the tool... Apologies if that comes across as harsh, I don't mean it that way, just stating a fact :)
No worries, your tone didn't come across harshly at all. Same goes for everyone else above.

I just figure I might as well get just one that I like. I feel like I made a mistake with some of my earlier DE razor purchases. That doesn't mean I want to go full Wolfman right away, but I definitely have tossed aside my original plan to buy a Gold Dollar for practice.

Sadly, I missed out on a nice Hikari razor in another forum.

Dr Watson

James
The feeling when you accidently knock you precious razor against a tap and destroy the edge, when you lift the spine whilst stropping and destroy the edge, when you have a momentary lapse of concentration and slice the strop... with budget kit it's annoying, with nice kit it's enough to make you give up.

Seriously though, if you're determined to stick with what you want then fair play, the closest thing I can advise you to look out for is a cheap Henckels Friodur, they are stainless steel and scales are rarely black... You might get one for £60-£70 if you're patient :okay:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
If you really want acrylic scales, would it be possible to buy the blade that you like the look of and get one of out resident restorers to re-scale it for you? I really have no idea of the costs of this though?

R181

Grumpy old man
I can't add anything to the good advice you have already been given. I'd say go into using a straight razor knowing shaving with one has a long/steep learning curve to get consistently good shaves. I'd allow about 3 months/100 shaves to become decently proficient at it. You will also dull the edge more frequently when starting out so be prepared to send your razor out to be honed. I say that as I would not recommend learning to shave with a straight razor and how to hone it at the same time. Honing has it's own steep learning curve and may be best left till after you are proficient at the shaving part. This is not to dissuade you but to have you start with your eyes wide open to the whole process. Be patient and persevere.

Bob

Wayne

Forum Sod
A lot of us get to exactly where you are now, I got there and invested some time and money into straights. I'd seriously listen to the others, there is a lot more work involved than just opening up a fresh blade, slotting it in and getting a great shave.
There is a very steep learning curve but with patience and lots of practice you can get a rewarding shave. Sadly there are just too many things that can go wrong for the beginner.
Stropping is an art in itself, to much angle, pressure can lead to you rolling your lovely new edge and then it needs to go back to the honer for a tickle up.
A good edge on a good razor can be frightening, when you get it back from Jamie or Billy believe me, it will be very, very sharp and the slightest wrong angle on the face and it will taste blood.
Is it worth it? For me, No. I prefer the modern conveinience of the De but it can be fun to at least try it.
Leave the Japenese stuff until you are competant, great razors in the right hands. Good luck.

chazt

Forum !
I don't know about hours... A couple of minutes for stropping before and after shaving. 20 minutes on honing once a month - if at all. But yes, the fussing has to appeal to you because straight shaving is definitely more labour intensive than DE's.
This is why I haven’t taken the SR plunge..

Sukeroku

Veteran
If you go the Japanese route, I would recommend something like a Ribbon, though the scales
are not up your standards.These razors were designed by R Saito for beginning barbers. They
are very good shavers and an easy entry point. I have seen good ones on a well-known auction
site in your price range. If you use lapping film and diamond pasted strops you can maintain it
easily and cheaply (though stone-honing purists may disapprove). I agree with Zwilling on giving
a pass on stainless. The stainless selection is fewer and they may require more frequent honing. The
only Japanese stainless razor that have seen in a Tanifuji Max-fli 5000, which is not easy to find and
most likely not in your budget.