Pearl Flexi Adjustable DE

gwsmallwood

Legendary Member
Next week, from my next paycheck I have some extra to spend, and I'm considering to buy new razor. Price range is around 50-80 euros. There's Rockwell 6c for 50 euros and Pearl goes for 80 euros. If Rockwell 6s is made from stainless steel, 6c from brass as is pearl apparently... Which I should go for? 6s is just that bit out of My budget. 6c, I think, is one thirds of lighter than pearl but 6c is 15 grams heavier than my current.. err.. daily driver so to speak.

So in quality wise, which one I should pick: Pearl or Rockwell 6c (with soap+splash combo., That brings it around 80 euros)?
I've only used the Flexi once. I tried a 6S and wasn't a huge fan of it either. But at that price point, I would actually suggest looking into the Merkur Progress. Extremely underrated razor, and still one of my favorites.

Reactions: Nav

Downhill

Veteran
I've only used the Flexi once. I tried a 6S and wasn't a huge fan of it either. But at that price point, I would actually suggest looking into the Merkur Progress. Extremely underrated razor, and still one of my favorites.
Merkur Progress really does comes up as favourite for, especially, like you, among youtube-shavers. Serious canditate for sure, but sold out from only finnish online store that sells it. But then again, so is Pearl Flexi. It was in stock this morning, but somebody managed to buy the last one. :(:mad:

I have vintage Gillette slim adjustable, but as it is 60 years old razor, top plates needs good polishing and I'm actually afraid that few tiny scrathes it has are worryingly deep. Being nickel plated, restoration of that razor might become bit too big hassle. I like the idea of adjustables, and that's why I'm looking for one.

Pearl has sold out their v6, v7 starts 1st half of september, according their website.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Another really nice smooth shave with the Pearl today. Setting 4 for the first pass and 3 for a little bit of minor cleanup. I don’t for BBS at all due to ingrown hairs so a DFS is the best I do and this razor provides it. The weight really is no issue, feels balanced and lovely to hold.!

Cheesepiece

Stickler
Pearl Flexi out again today.
Anyone that hasn't got one of these and is considering a Zamac DE from one of the main players, Merkur, Parker, Edwin Jagger, et al. should really consider the delights of a Brass / Nickel plate adjustable.
The adjustability pits it against competition in exactly the same price bracket, Progress, Futur, Variant, etc. But for the money, the Flexi really does punch above its weight. I'd say it's closer in stature to the much more expensive Digress / Mergress, Vision, Rex Ambassador, et al.

Tallapoc

Forum GOD!
Is it supposed to rattle when everything is assembled and closed up? I just used my new V4 today, and something's definitely rattling around inside.
I remember reading on the Pearl webpage that the rattling is normal, so it is part of the razor experience.

Wayne

Forum Sod
My Pearl Flexi arrived via BST yesterday and I loaded it up with a Super Iridium blade. Knowing the Rex I started on level 2. This was fine for me, so I opened it to 3 and again it was fine. My DE skills have suffered somewhat though due to me using the Leaf and the atg pass on my neck was a little rough causing a few weepers. Nothing a little cold water didn't fix.
I was impressed with the quality of both razor and shave.
I will need to find the blade that suits the Pearl. That isn't too difficult to find though and once I have it dialed in it should give me fantastic shaves.

TheBurgh

Loyal Order of The Overlander; Fan of The Winning
I have been a Pearl Flexi thread lurker for months having first tried the cheap Qshave adjustable. (Q was mechanically quirky and provided inconsistent shaves.)

Finally, Murphy & McNeil (USA) popped a restock of Version 10 and I ordered.

Thanks to those contributors on this and other threads for helping with my razor RAD!

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Second go around with the Flexi. Don't know the release version and honestly it makes no difference to me. I sold the first one and felt like I hadn't quite given it its fair due. Saw a used one on the Murphy & McNeil site for under $50 US so, I jumped on it.

Put in 3-4 shaves of late and they have been solid shaves. Nothing mind blowing nor spectacular but, very good nonetheless. I've used a Feather exclusively in the Flexi and it has worked quite well keeping that bit of first use harshness from the Feather at a very tame feeling but, cutting very well.

I'll hang with the Flexi for a full month or two and see where it leads me. Great shaves to all...

FFD28A8D-F67E-40CF-A04A-19DBEA7187FD.jpeg

4CC455E1-0940-4041-91BD-CE47433E70FA.jpeg

12A5EA4B-1C46-461E-BAB9-B7927A3F715B.jpeg

Wayne

Forum Sod
Second go around with the Flexi. Don't know the release version and honestly it makes no difference to me. I sold the first one and felt like I hadn't quite given it its fair due. Saw a used one on the Murphy & McNeil site for under $50 US so, I jumped on it.

Put in 3-4 shaves of late and they have been solid shaves. Nothing mind blowing nor spectacular but, very good nonetheless. I've used a Feather exclusively in the Flexi and it has worked quite well keeping that bit of first use harshness from the Feather at a very tame feeling but, cutting very well.

I'll hang with the Flexi for a full month or two and see where it leads me. Great shaves to all...

View attachment 120746

View attachment 120747

View attachment 120748
I really enjoy using mine.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Took a quick 2 shave hiatus from the Flexi and got back at it yesterday evening. I'm really impressed with the smoothness that it delivers and the cutting ability it provides across its adjustment range. I've only shaved with it from 3 on up and perhaps at 2.5 for touch up work but, mostly it has been from 5 to 6 for my shaves. And that using a Feather blade exclusively. No harsh feeling at all with this razor & blade combo. So far, so good. Looking at trying out a couple of my other preferred blades in the Flexi to see how they fair in as well.

Great shaves to all....

95E06875-499C-41D1-AA59-F1B569A4824A.jpeg

Wayne

Forum Sod
Took a quick 2 shave hiatus from the Flexi and got back at it yesterday evening. I'm really impressed with the smoothness that it delivers and the cutting ability it provides across its adjustment range. I've only shaved with it from 3 on up and perhaps at 2.5 for touch up work but, mostly it has been from 5 to 6 for my shaves. And that using a Feather blade exclusively. No harsh feeling at all with this razor & blade combo. So far, so good. Looking at trying out a couple of my other preferred blades in the Flexi to see how they fair in as well.

Great shaves to all....

View attachment 121052
I use Gillette 7 0 Clock Yellows to great effect in mine. It is a nice little razor.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Pearl Flexi today that took on 3 days worth of whisker growth. Started on 6 and finished on 5 for 3 good passes and a buffing session around the chin. The blade feel in the Flexi is nowhere near as prominent as on my Rex Ambassador regardless of gap size as the Flexi is not an aggressive feeling razor. I do prefer the Rex Ambassador over the Pearl Flexi as I do get along better with the feel and shave attributes of the Ambassador but, it does not mean that the Flexi is not a capable shaver as it certainly is especially for one that wants a well made product for a very competitive price point. The thing that the Flexi has over the Ambassador besides price point of entry is that, it is easier to use for a broader range of shavers and it is much easier on the skin as it allows for user error and forgives those potential mishaps. Not so much for the Ambassador as it can really cause some irritation or worse if one does not get it right. The performance window is definitely higher on the Ambassador over the Flexi but, it can come at a price for those with inexperience or just prefer a milder performing tool overall.

I love my Ambassador but, I still do like the Flexi quite a bit. Easy to use, quality build (took some time but, they got there same for the Rex) and a very affordable razor especially in the adjustable realm. Solid performer in my book.

5B83DC73-EB3B-46AA-B10E-F047B329C5F9.jpeg