Pass around: Shavemac Synthetic brush

halvor

a most elusive fish
Eagle has landed. Safely, after a minor hiccup with Norwegian Post wanting to claim VAT. All sorted and brushes are out and breathing :thumbsup:

Have to say, though, looks wise, it’s unfair to the poor synth to be passed along with a GA.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Eagle has landed. Safely, after a minor hiccup with Norwegian Post wanting to claim VAT. All sorted and brushes are out and breathing :thumbsup:

Have to say, though, looks wise, it’s unfair to the poor synth to be passed along with a GA.
I have to agree the GA handle alone made me want to send Nish the ShaveMac back lol

halvor

a most elusive fish
Here’s a first report from #2, since a certain someone seems to have stopped in his tracks :p: — or strokes, as it were.

Upon receiving the brush I tested it against other synths by pushing against my cheek. Not as much backbone as the Chubby, but more than Tuxedo, SilkSmoke, two Yaqis. My first thought was that this might be a good one.

First shave this morning. Loaded up with a very dry brush on a rather soft soap for 30 secs. Struggled with the face lathering for lack of backbone. Had to paint the soap on, dipmin water, paint more, dip, paint, and so on. Swirling or pressing led nowhere, or actually, to soap fluff flying through the air like for an amateur plasterer. Once lather started building and filling the knot, things improved and I could alternate with swirling. No suction sensation like some synths give, noticeably less need for force cf Chubby. At this stage I can see why Nishy thought it was the closest to a badger of all synths tried.

Will attempt with a tried and tested soap of firmer consistency tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thank you Halvor. I had to adapt by using a fairly wet brush, actually about the same level of 'wetness' as a badger when face lathering. Bowl lathering was when I went with a dryish brush. Look forward to hearing your further opinions. I found the VLB to be great at providing more backbone, whilst obviously keeping the characteristics of fibre the same.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Come on Mem, spill the beans... How did you find it? :happy:
Really sorry gents, i made you wait a lil longer. My home and work life have conspired to keep me otherwise occupied lol.
My quick 5pence it not a bad synthetic, it just won't be for everyone, and unfortunately that not for everyone includes me.

I took the brush to task and tried it with many products creams, soaps and croaps. I bowl and face lathered with it all along comparing it to at least 1 other brush at a time. My comparisons then were with my own gold standard synthetics(30mm Cashmere and 30mm Synbad) and 3 badger brushes (a GA Shaveamac 2 band sent by Nishy in the pass around for comparison, a MS 28mm hybrid 2 band and my 24mm 3 band silvestip gel)

PhotoCollage_1554547242600.jpg

IMG_20190321_090824.jpg

IMG_20190323_193235.jpg

I finally started examining it up close and in great detail to look at the construction and fibers
1553681949426.jpg

So this knot compares to other knots on the market the STF, the Pur-Tech and the G4. It is clearly a Gen4 fiber with its crisping on the lower end of the fibers. And I don't think its purely a v1 as some fibers seemed to be finer so might be a mix of v1 be v2.
I do believe it is hand tied due to its construction but I am doubting it is by Bernd.
The tips have a softness that mirrors all the afore mentioned Gen4 knots with the same backbone and slight hair feel. But you don't get the super softer tips and feel in splay of the likes of the Synbad or Cashmere.

Also when compared to the badgers it wasn't to my mind as good as my 3band silver tip but did compare somewhat to the 2 bands. This is not to say it is as good as the badgers or worse but just it had some similar characteristics.

IMG_20190318_112804~01.jpg

then finally I decide to compare it to a knot i'd got from Oumo on Alibaba as a sample and I was amazed how similar they felt on the skin and when lathering. Now the colours were different but they blooming felt alike.

So I also had a look at price point, and wow! For a 28mm 176 handle on its own Bernd is asking for €25.50. With the 28mm synthetic knot fitted to that handle he's than wanting €65.60.
Now this is a bit steep for me €40.10 for this knot alone! Wow is the only thing I can think of.

This is not a game changing knot its a run of the mill Gen4 that some will like but that can be found elsewhere.

If you like STF type knots give this a try but don't open your wallets till then is my advice

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Here’s a first report from #2, since a certain someone seems to have stopped in his tracks :p: — or strokes, as it were.

Upon receiving the brush I tested it against other synths by pushing against my cheek. Not as much backbone as the Chubby, but more than Tuxedo, SilkSmoke, two Yaqis. My first thought was that this might be a good one.

First shave this morning. Loaded up with a very dry brush on a rather soft soap for 30 secs. Struggled with the face lathering for lack of backbone. Had to paint the soap on, dipmin water, paint more, dip, paint, and so on. Swirling or pressing led nowhere, or actually, to soap fluff flying through the air like for an amateur plasterer. Once lather started building and filling the knot, things improved and I could alternate with swirling. No suction sensation like some synths give, noticeably less need for force cf Chubby. At this stage I can see why Nishy thought it was the closest to a badger of all synths tried.

Will attempt with a tried and tested soap of firmer consistency tomorrow.
I was actually compiling my feedback as you blooming posted lol

Dr Watson

James
Thanks Mem. So nothing new then, pity but not unexpected. I think a Plisson Evo will be higher on my acquisition list than a Shavemac unless some rave reviews come in from Halvor and the gang :happy:

halvor

a most elusive fish
On a mini pre-Easter trip currently, sans shaving gear(!). Not in a position to go as meticulously into the feedback as Mem above, but here’s my take:

Have had four shaves with the brush in question (and one with the bonus GA passed around with it) and although lather building improved significantly with a wetter brush, it’s not the best of synths, never mind the best of brushes. My first impression largely stands: Too little density and too high a loft means too large a splay that comes too easily.

Disclaimer: I have a few synths and while I acknowledge their softness and the fact that they do build lather quicker than their natural counterparts, I am and will probably remain a badger man, boar at times.

Brush to be passed on to @morr once back. Please PM me your address!

Last edited: