Pass around: Shavemac Synthetic brush

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Wow yes the side view does show the knot to be quite pointed. I'm glad Bernd is observing and taking our comments on board. Obviously before the release of the VLB (in both badger and synthetic) I will make sure the synthetic knot is of good spec.

p.b

Forum GOD!
I've used this for seven of the past eight days. Sometimes face lathering and sometimes bowl. The other day I used the 'Nishy' brush. I don't really like bulbs, I find them too small and pointy, I like the enveloping feel of a fan. Therefore, it was very useful to have the 'Nishy' brush as reference.

The Synthetic reminded me of the Shavemac DO1 hair in a bulb: Too pointy, too much backbone and too much tip-feel. I'll be using my Muehle XL synthetic tomorrow to get me some perspective but I can fully understand why some users have not enjoyed it.

Whilst I have stated that it's too pointy and has too much tip-feel I still quite like the brush. It is at odds with the very latest knots like the Synbad and Cashmere which have majored on tip softness, but if those knots were too 'gel-tipped' then maybe this is a knot you'd like.

p.b

Forum GOD!
This morning's shave was an identical set-up to yesterday's except I used my Muehle XL.

I can see why @Mr Bigmem & @morr dislike the Shavemac synthetic. If one likes the plushness of a Cashmere or Synbad knot then this will feel coarse and unrefined. My take is that the bulb shape and glue bump give this knot it's backbone / punchy feel that @Nishy likes, and I dislike and it also apparent in the 2-band silvertip 'Nishy' brush. The thickness of the fibres give the brush a notable tip-feel.

If the Cashmere / Synbad is a Shavemac 3-band silvertip, the Muehle XL is a 2-band silvertip: more backbone and more tip-feel. This brush is equivalent to a D01 2-band: lots of backbone and a touch of scritch.

Thank you to Bernd and Nishy on this pass-around. Despite preferring the Muehle I really enjoyed using this Shavemac Synthetic. The handle is definitely not as bad as it looks in pictures and it does hold loads of water and needs a good flick to rid itself of most of it or one risks flooding the puck as I did on it's second use. If you like D01 2-bands I suspect you'll like this brush. For me the Muehle is the better brush, it's a similar cost but is more balanced to my taste in shaving brushes.

MPH

Forum GOD!
Hi everyone

The brushes have arrived with me. I know the point of this is to look at the synthetic, but..... Wow..... I LOVE the "Nishy" handle!!! :)

For the record I have very little experience with synthetics and put my name down to see if I like them (and made this clear at the time). First impressions are that it feels very soft, and as mentioned before the handle has a nice weight and feels way better in the hand than it looks in the pictures.

Softness wish on the hand it feels similar to the only photosynthetic I've used that was a Romera....
IMG_20150207_113047.jpg

Will give it a test run today or tomorrow!

I received a Brush from Shavemac early this week and my other poor brush are not getting a look in !

It is the 24mm Fan with 50mm of Loft for me it has everything good backbone , lovely soft tips and a great spread , I am not sure how they have done this, as unlike all my other synths there is no glue bump above the handle. I am seriously impressed it is without doubt the nicest brush I own.

It should be noted that I only use Sythetic Brushes so can't compare to Badger etc.

Saturday.jpg

p.b

Forum GOD!
I received a Brush from Shavemac early this week and my other poor brush are not getting a look in !

It is the 24mm Fan with 50mm of Loft for me it has everything good backbone , lovely soft tips and a great spread , I am not sure how they have done this, as unlike all my other synths there is no glue bump above the handle. I am seriously impressed it is without doubt the nicest brush I own.

It should be noted that I only use Sythetic Brushes so can't compare to Badger etc.

View attachment 49535
This is the only true fan synthetic I've seen from Bernd. I'm not surprised it splays well, I'm sure it would be much more to my tastes than the pass-around one. Based on how the two bulbs (Nishy brush & pass-around synth) felt I'd expect yours to feel less punchy and more cosseting. More like my Shavemac Unique 26mm fan

MPH

Forum GOD!
I didn't have much time to assess the brush tonight, but I've had a quick shave and to be honest it doesn't seem too different from my old Romera synthetic from 4+ year ago (not sure what knot that was). It seems to me that not much has changed since then, but maybe it didn't need to.

The brush is soft. There's some face feel, but as I own shavemac d01 2 bands this is almost unnoticeable to me. The backbone is good.

I quite like it, but compared to a badger something is missing.... And I can't quite work out what it is. I hope to answer this over the next week.

Reactions: p.b

MPH

Forum GOD!
Well I've had some more shaves with the brush and whilst it wouldn't be the end of the world if this was the only brush in existence, as its not, this would never replace my badger brushes.

I agree with previous comments that I think its main problem is the knot shape, and not the hairs themselves. It has a flat little section of tall hairs in the middle, and its these that give the scritchy feel.

I can't compare with the other brands as I've not tried them, but I get the impression I'd prefer others....... Though I'd be interested to try this again in a different shape.

I'll move the brush on, on Monday.

Thank you for the opportunity to try this brush, its much appreciated. :)

P.s - I didn't actually use the Nishy 2 band brush as a comparison. I just put it away quickly before I decided I wanted one!!!

Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
@Nishy could we have a fan for a pass-around...? My 9 year old, animal loving daughter was asking about how the badger hairs are obtained and I felt distinctly uneasy about it but I decided to lie and say they are shaved.

If the synths were as good as my Shavemac Unique fan I'd want to not use an animal product. This brush hints that a fan might suit me but I'm not prepared to risk it without a trial.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I would always, as you know, say 'why not' but I received an email from Bernd tonight indicating that he can only make one type of brush for the group buy. As always I'm going to negotiate as I definitely would like to offer both badger and synthetic. I'll update once I hear anything new.

Reactions: p.b

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Here's my feedback on the brush having been testing it for the last 10 days or so....

Firstly looking at the core dimensions of a 26mm knot giving a 56mm loft, then is this right on point for me (24 - 26mm synthetics set at 54 - 56mm loft being my preferred range). For reference I face-lather with a mix of swirling and painting motions and solely use synthetics. I prefer brushes with medium tip softness, although I'm happy to use brushes either side of this with exception of Omega synthetics which feel to me to have been inspired by a hedgehog.

I have made a mental comparison for the purpose of this review against my current favourite brushes which are shown below:

My first impressions of the brush testing it on a dry face without soap was that it was of medium softness, backbone and density i.e. clearly pitching for the middle ground. Whilst it is clearly not a direct copy, I suspect that it may have been inspired by the Muhle 25mm STF; which is no bad thing at all for me.

In use, initially there were no surprises. The brush lathered-up hard soaps, croaps and creams very well with no issues whatsoever. One point to be mindful of when using a synthetic with a hand-tied knot is that as the fibres extend deeper into the handle, more water is retained, so you need to manage this appropriately to avoid overhydration. In use on my face however things were a little different. The brush didn't feel as soft as my initial dry test and I concluded that this was at least partially coming from one area of the knot which was miss-shaped (noted earlier by @p.b) meaning that the dynamics of the knot were in essence being disturbed. It went a bit clumpy to think of a better phrase. It still worked, but it could have worked a little better. Density and backbone in use were absolutely fine for me.

My personal view is that opinions about this brush may be a little clouded because of the maker. Possibly perfection was expected, particularly from badger users, but perfection is different for us all and synthetics will always be different, just as boar brushes are, from a badger brush. Likewise this brush doesn't set out to be the Chubby II synthetic from Simpsons which to me is an outlier anyway due to it's comparatively short loft and ultra high density.

To conclude I think this brush is a very promising start, but with one big caveat. Quality control really needs to be tight. Very tight. Miss-shaped knots belong in the trash, customers shouldn't receive them. I suspect that addressing this will probably resolve issues with softness, so I'm going to make a leap of faith and order one.

Last edited: