Partially Used Blade Life

Boycie83

Space Cadet
I've always used a blade for its usable life before either switching blades or razors but have found myself adding more random variety in the last few weeks. I've seen threads about blade life in terms of usage but nothing on its shelf life when partially used.

My question is how long do you think a blade can reasonably sit for in a razor (dried of course) before its performances begins to degrade (if it degrades)? The question is applicable to GEM SE, AC and DE blades.

Cheesepiece

Stickler
I remember seeing lads posting photos of their used but still viable blades dropped into a ramakin full of oil to prevent oxidation of the edge.
I've never seen the need as I can't imagine a blade's edge degrading under any conditions encountered in my house but if you wish to take a precaution against it then I suppose submerging in oil would serve the purpose alright.

Boycie83

Space Cadet
Provided it's clean and dry I can't see why it would degrade at all.
This is where my head's at but I wasn't sure if there's some technical thing about the edge degrading once some of the coating is removed. You can probably tell that I've had too much time to think about this where I'm now making up random science things!

Boycie83

Space Cadet
I remember seeing lads posting photos of their used but still viable blades dropped into a ramakin full of oil to prevent oxidation of the edge.
I've never seen the need as I can't imagine a blade's edge degrading under any conditions encountered in my house but if you wish to take a precaution against it then I suppose submerging in oil would serve the purpose alright.
Kudos for their efforts in saving the blade but, like yourself, I can't see me doing that.

Macbeth

I place my used WILKINSON Swords Light Brigades , persona 74 Tungsten, personna platinum plus, Med Preps, labs and other expensive blades in a Scotch glass Hal filled with mineral oil.
Keeps them in "suspended animation "I call them partially used since I never shave with any blade more than 5-6 times. I've a lot of blades.....but NOT those ones.
Works for me.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
This is where my head's at but I wasn't sure if there's some technical thing about the edge degrading once some of the coating is removed. You can probably tell that I've had too much time to think about this where I'm now making up random science things!
Quite possible depending on humidity as blades are generally made with low grade stainless steel and the edge coating will have rubbed off to a degree.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I've always used a blade for its usable life before either switching blades or razors but have found myself adding more random variety in the last few weeks. I've seen threads about blade life in terms of usage but nothing on its shelf life when partially used.

My question is how long do you think a blade can reasonably sit for in a razor (dried of course) before its performances begins to degrade (if it degrades)? The question is applicable to GEM SE, AC and DE blades.
How's it going Chris? I usually have several DE blades on the go at one time and I've never had a problem with degradation after the initial use.

FWIW, I don't wipe them or dry them, I just leave them in my patented blade drying device which is a clasp thing type from a A4 file sticking out a dressing table drawer (not advisable if you have small children in your household! Also other crude homemade drying racks are also available) after I shave in the morning and put the blade back in the paper in the evening.

I've done the above and got pretty decent lifespans out of DE blades, the most I managed to coax was 27 from a Gillette 7 Black.

Boycie83

Space Cadet
How's it going Chris? I usually have several DE blades on the go at one time and I've never had a problem with degradation after the initial use.

FWIW, I don't wipe them or dry them, I just leave them in my patented blade drying device which is a clasp thing type from a A4 file sticking out a dressing table drawer (not advisable if you have small children in your household! Also other crude homemade drying racks are also available) after I shave in the morning and put the blade back in the paper in the evening.

I've done the above and got pretty decent lifespans out of DE blades, the most I managed to coax was 27 from a Gillette 7 Black.
Thanks Shubs. What do you reckon that translated to in days? Do you sometimes have blade in rotation for a few months?

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
Thanks Shubs. What do you reckon that translated to in days? Do you sometimes have blade in rotation for a few months?
Yeah, I sometimes have a few partially used blades for months and as long as the blade is dry once it goes back in the papers it was originally packed in, I can't see the blade having any issues with degradation in the environment I am keeping the blades in (which might be different to yours).

I generally shave every day and I find I get more shaves per blade for daily shaves, opposed to shaving infrequently.

Vacumatic

Testy
There was some theory a few years ago that a good way to rejuvenate a razor blade was to place it North - South under a pyramid shaped object.

I have a pyramid shaped piece of marble as a paper weight but I cannot say I have tried this idea.

Pyramid shapes are supposed to have many other properties including the development of sexual urges so you may want to keep them away from your trousers.

Boycie83

Space Cadet
There was some theory a few years ago that a good way to rejuvenate a razor blade was to place it North - South under a pyramid shaped object.

I have a pyramid shaped piece of marble as a paper weight but I cannot say I have tried this idea.

Pyramid shapes are supposed to have many other properties including the development of sexual urges so you may want to keep them away from your trousers.
I'll bear that in mind. Thank you!