Paladin offers an incredible variety of brushes

bijou

Forum GOD!
A little story on buying a Peacock Disco

In this post, I took the liberty of having a little fun with a brush I purchased from Paladin. If you were following one of Paladin's recent release's it was a one of a kind special offering of just Strawberry Amber and Disco handles. Personally, I don't like Disco's so I've never considered buying a one, until now. To me, these weren't disco's but an impressionistic interpretation of a Peacock's Feathers (I have a Hyacinth Macaw that I named Renoir that I have been taking care for the last 20 years). There were 3 particular handles that I liked, so now it was the knot that would make or break a purchase. The 2 knot's I wanted were (first choice) the LD4, the (second) SD5, but the Peacock Feather designs on the two LD4's weren't to my liking.

The Peacock design combined with the knot that I liked were on 2 of the Chiefs. Now that doesn't mean that I made a purchase immediately, I spent time looking at the front and back because of the designed pattern change (front, sides, and back) around the handle. It wasn't until the next day that I decided to purchase and as it turned out the handle and knot I wanted were still available, I made the purchase.

A few days later I spoke with Ken about the shipping and the designs of the Discos came up in-which he referred to them as Matisse paintings, I saw the handles I liked as an abstract image of Peacocks Feathers (each to there own imagination and reference's).

So below I've posted a number of backgrounds displaying this magnificent brush. I hope that this doesn't bore you.

The Magnificent Peacock meets the Exquisite Flamingo
A Peacock that just might have inspired Matisse
Pal pea flamingos.jpg Pal pea flamingos 2.jpg Pal peacook.jpg Pal Matisse 4.jpg Pal Matisse 6.jpg o

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
I like Disco and purchased two of the special Disco's. Currently the happy and proud owner of 3 Paladin Disco brushes

halvor

a most elusive fish
Steven or Howie, have any of you read anything on the turning technique behind this particular patterning? I have a brush in disco from another turner which exhibits both this and the clean, ‘normal’ style disco, and wonder what is behind the difference.

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Steven or Howie, have any of you read anything on the turning technique behind this particular patterning? I have a brush in disco from another turner which exhibits both this and the clean, ‘normal’ style disco, and wonder what is behind the difference.
My impression from his comments is "pure luck." He mentioned turning handles and keeping these "special disco's" for a separate sale.

I can see Disco's being either "special" or "higher reject rate" with unusual variations. I have no idea if all disco rods are the same or different.

Last edited:

bijou

Forum GOD!
I remember that also, instead of discarding them he saw the beauty. I feel those of us who were able to purchase one are very lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p.b

Forum GOD!
The Paladin brushes always look big (in a good way) in people’s hands. Does anyone have a Shavemac PK handle and a Paladin PK handle to compare? I’ve always found my Shavemac handle about 10-15% too small and a Paladin might be ideal.

halvor

a most elusive fish
The Paladin brushes always look big (in a good way) in people’s hands. Does anyone have a Shavemac PK handle and a Paladin PK handle to compare? I’ve always found my Shavemac handle about 10-15% too small and a Paladin might be ideal.
I don’t have a Pk from Bernd, but Paladin’s is 38 at the widest (base and top are equal) and 53 tall according to my amateur callipers. If that helps?

p.b

Forum GOD!
I don’t have a Pk from Bernd, but Paladin’s is 38 at the widest (base and top are equal) and 53 tall according to my amateur callipers. If that helps?
Thanks Halvor. I’ll check mine when I get home (Monday).

Mikey J

Forum HOG!
Thanks Halvor. I’ll check mine when I get home (Monday).
Just to add to this @p.b the 28mm PK-47s are definitely larger than that. Don't have calipers but they are definitely >40mm as mine won't fit in the epsilon tube that gifts and care stock. My 26mm PK-47 did fit in them with ease.

https://www.giftsandcare.com/en/premium-silvertip-badger/3103--tubo-viaje-brocha-muhle.html

halvor

a most elusive fish

bijou

Forum GOD!
My Daddy has a Paladin, so that's what I want when I get old enough to shave.

Pal boy and ice cream.jpg

Chief 26 Butterscotch 48 x 52 2CLND3 Photo: Vivian Maier

bijou

Forum GOD!
Oh boy, it was a rough night and this mattress really sucks, what I need is a hot shower and a shave...... a shave would really be great. Hey, this doesn't feel like my bed.
Pal Ebony Drunk.jpg

PK47 Ebony fan 28 2CLND3 53.75 x 53.75
This is a wonderful knot. The shafts on this dense knot are strong and the tips have a wonderful full soft presence, notice the fan has retained its basic structure