Package stolen or lost

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
I only sell through ebay, 'cos I don't want to potentially sour relationships with fellow members, and there is a structure there (it almost always decides in favour of the buyer's often rather eccentric demands BTW).

As for "the seller must get the item to the buyer" , I honestly don't know if I can shoulder the burden of, say, the Azerbaijani or Armenian postal service and criminal justice system on top of my mortgage and bills. (^_-) :D

Last edited:

YomD

Forum GOD!
I started this thread because I spoke about it with 2 friends after playing tennis yesterday in the evening. We were calm and exhausted at this moment and came with 3 very different opinions: full refund, half refund, no refund. It was weird to see this sample :happy:

I’m surprised this kind of issue has not occurred more in the past and % of delivery is still very good IMO. It has probably occurred sometimes but there is not a lot of talk about that.

The package has been signed at 11:07am on the tracking (this hour is false) by someone who made a mistake writing my family name and a false signature. Opened in the middle deeply, laying on the floor, the package was a small box of about 30x20x10cm full of bubble that can be easily opened from the bottom part that is folded and glued.

Package was found by the nanny of my kids at 11:40 opened on the floor of the entrance of the building where I live, with the bubble pack outside of the box. She left home at 11:25 to pick up my son at school at 11:30 and came back immediately.
She knows I’m crazy about wet shaving and took 5 pictures of the situation. She sent it immediately to my wife and I received these pictures around 4:30pm yesterday when my wife had time to talk about my wet shaving stuff :cursing:

I sent immediately the pictures to the seller explaining what I thought of the situation. I also sent 20minutes after to the seller a scan of the proof of delivery I got on the website and a copy of my passport so he can issue an investigation that will be transmitted by his provider to the French provider Chronopost.
I contacted them (one of the worst international service) and they asked me to go to the Police and told me to ask to the sender to issue a problem with his provider.

The seller said that maybe we will reach an agreement but he didn’t have to handle it and that I had to solve it on my side the way he said. And much more important IMO, the second message was saying “I’m not responsible”.
I would have been ready to find an agreement, but not after reading this. At the same time he also told me he lowered declaration forms... Just a way to announce that I’ve lost everything and I’m in his hands now.

I’m 99% sure it’s not my neighbours, there are 10 apartments in the building. I know all of them, they would never steal a package, they even take some packages for me and bring it to me directly at dinner time.

That’s true there is a specific problem with the delivery guy and I could have accepted immediately a fair deal, I’m not crying about cash, that’s life, shit happens. But I do care about respect and honesty.

The seller even told me that he will need my report to the police before issuing a refund. I told him I didn't care and to issue what he wanted as he proposed to make a deal to end with this. I’m not here to lie or to steal a razor.
I keep things simple. I didn’t get what I’ve paid for, just give me back something and Good bye. Moreover his mistake about value is on me now whereas I didn’t ask for it.

I will go to the Police tomorrow but in the best case at the end Chronopost will refund 35€ to the provider and then to the seller.
More important is Chronopost will have the proof against their employee. Maybe it will avoid the same situation with someone else.

I wish he had offered a refund of a bit more than 50% because he is the seller. That would have been the least fair IMO.

It’s not his fault but he is responsible, more than me for sure.

Last but not least, seller asked for F&F when I bought it whereas it was not indicated.
And when he refunded me half of it today, he sent it with PayPal G&S saying he didn’t know how to send F&F...

missingskin

Forum GOD!
I have sold razors off here and Ebay, I always send them tracked and fully insured to the item value. The customs declaration on UK packages has nothing to do with the insured value of the item (I have had a few packages myself with interesting values on the customs declaration !!)
The seller is the one who has to get any money back via the carriers claim system and they will need the police number to give to them.
As a seller I would not refund the buyer until I had finalised the claim with the carrier myself. If the claim was successful then it would be a full refund, if not I would agree an amount acceptable to both parties.
There has to be trust on both sides, but there has to be caution on both sides as well............
I hope you get a solution that is ok for both of you.

The problem is that the seller didn't ask the buyer to write a specific declaration IMHO.
By the way law itself* says that the buyer is fully responsible of the shipping after the seller shipped the package. Other arguments are just mere opinions - just 'ethics'*.

*Law in Italy.

Last edited:

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Technically it's the responsibility of the seller to ensure that the package gets to the buyer, which is why it’s important to use an appropriately-insured service however someone has signed for it, so as far as the seller can tell (and the carrier) it has been delivered. Also the seller only has your word that it wasn't you that signed for it. On that basis it's not really fair to expect the seller to provide a refund. If someone has fraudulently signed for it you should contact the carrier and / or the police.

As for the declared value, I've seen plenty of posts on here complaining about sellers NOT falsifying the value of an item so that the buyer can avoid paying the VAT.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Makes you wonder why we run the risk of selling expensive shaving gear sometimes it just isn’t worth it.

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
I've got an interesting situation where I've done a swap with a guy in the U.S. where he's sent me 5 soaps and I've sent him 5. We both paid for postage ourselves. If one arrives and the other doesn't, do we have to reimburse? Discuss

oscsha

Forum GOD!
I've got an interesting situation where I've done a swap with a guy in the U.S. where he's sent me 5 soaps and I've sent him 5. We both paid for postage ourselves. If one arrives and the other doesn't, do we have to reimburse? Discuss
I would presume you have both sent tracked and insured , that way if something goes missing the the sender (who the contract is with) claims for the loss .

ajc347

Forum GOD!
That’s where insurance comes in mate. I’ve come very close to having to make a claim in exactly this circumstance.

If the goods hadn’t arrived I would have given the other person 100% of the cash I insured the goods for once the claim had been paid by Royal Mail.

It’s no different to what a number of companies do when stuff goes missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk