PAA Bakelite

Macanbhaird

Veteran
Oh, and yes, it does make some great noises when you tighten up the blade doesn't it?
I am glad that I read about that before I did it.
Looking again at this it seems it is the same issue on both sides but on one side of the blade. The blade is snug on both sides in the same place and there is a very slight gap on the other part of the blade (because it is a slant - on the opposite sides). On the snug part there is no play in the blade and the other side there is very slight play - I can get a blade in there and the blade can be moved but only very slightly. This is happening on both sides. A shim to make the blade more solid might actually help based on that video above. I can get a photo if you want as this explanation might not be 100%- need to get out right now as it is carnival here in our town. Let me know and I can get an image on - we might have the same issue here.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I hadn't seen the bit about loosening the head a bit to achieve more aggression.
I loosened it a bit and it does seem to do that.
I haven't tried it as it is then quite free to flex and I don't like that.

Looking again at this it seems it is the same issue on both sides but on one side of the blade. The blade is snug on both sides in the same place and there is a very slight gap on the other part of the blade (because it is a slant - on the opposite sides). On the snug part there is no play in the blade and the other side there is very slight play - I can get a blade in there and the blade can be moved but only very slightly. This is happening on both sides. A shim to make the blade more solid might actually help based on that video above. I can get a photo if you want as this explanation might not be 100%- need to get out right now as it is carnival here in our town. Let me know and I can get an image on - we might have the same issue here.
I can get a blade in at all four corners happily.
Probably about a third of the way in.
The middle third, however, is tight (where it screws in).
I never did hear any more from the vendor actually.

RE the shim, I am just removing the sharp bit of an old blade aren't i?

I put the shim in and it still has similar fex in the blade to without the shim.
(I would prefer less flex all over really, but, hey)

Having said that, I rather like it with the shim.
Seems a lot smoother.
I shall have to try with and without on the same day or something.
Thanks for that.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I never did get any more back from the vendor, so I contacted PAA and they have come back to me very positively.
I gave them the following info, but I thought I would post it on here in case anyone is at all interested.

I measured it in situ without the shim.
The top cap is 1.74mm one end and 1.77mm I was surprised it was that small a difference.
Blade exposure shows:
1.6mm to 1.9mm one side
2.1mm to 2.35mm the other
Again, I am surprised how small the differences are from one end to the other.
Seems the eye picks up smaller differences than I thought.
There seems little or no movement available to the blade, the top gap seems to sit it real nice and stable.
The base cap seems to measure the same at both ends although I can't measure the positions of the holes I suppose.
Or the position of the lugs or bolt section of the top cap.

IMGP2211.jpg

Macanbhaird

Veteran
As a footnote to this, I have shaved with this razor a few times since posting on here. My "go-to" razor is the Feather DE and I could not get two razors that feel poles apart (to me at least). I had lots of issues with the PAA with nicks and general irritation around the neck. Slowly but surely I think I have cracked it.
In the last 10 days I have shaved a couple of times with this razor.
Key learnings:
(1) absolutely no pressure whatsoever. Because the razor is so light I tended to over compensate and, coming from a fairly heavy Feather, my natural reaction was to press. Not necessary. I know it has been mentioned for this razor but I did not really understand the concept of "no pressure" before.
(2) Care on the neck area and any sharpish facial curves. I am taking it slowly with shorter and more measured very light strokes (see 1 above!). No more cuts.
(3) Three passes not necessary. Third pass increases the probability of frivolous, reckless strokes and potential cuts - 2 passes gives a more-than-acceptable shave. I have sensitive skin but a tough beard so 2 passes are fine for me.
This razor is working perfectly for me now!

Macanbhaird

Veteran
I need to save up on the 7 days growth part. I normally don't like to have more than 2-3 days growth and I have quite a heavy beard anyway. I need to get back to you on that one! I have sensitive skin so for the sensitive skin part (and 2 days growth), I can comment that with-the-grain and across-the-grain are fine for me with this razor now. I have learnt that the against-the-grain, third pass is a little too much for my skin. As I said, I have sensitive skin but probably need to work on my technique too! Any tips welcome!

D

Deleted member 1881

I need to save up on the 7 days growth part. I normally don't like to have more than 2-3 days growth and I have quite a heavy beard anyway. I need to get back to you on that one! I have sensitive skin so for the sensitive skin part (and 2 days growth), I can comment that with-the-grain and across-the-grain are fine for me with this razor now. I have learnt that the against-the-grain, third pass is a little too much for my skin. As I said, I have sensitive skin but probably need to work on my technique too! Any tips welcome!
Maybe try more shallow angle. Or make the lather more dense on the ATG pass. I think that this must be a good slant.

efsk

Forum GOD!
I did not really understand the concept of "no pressure" before.
Familiar :) I had the same when I started on the ultra light razor journey. Before that with heavier razors as well. When you think you apply no pressure, you apply too much pressure. Took some severe razorburn to learn that.

Grarea

Forum Plod
As a footnote to this, I have shaved with this razor a few times since posting on here. My "go-to" razor is the Feather DE and I could not get two razors that feel poles apart (to me at least). I had lots of issues with the PAA with nicks and general irritation around the neck. Slowly but surely I think I have cracked it.
In the last 10 days I have shaved a couple of times with this razor.
Key learnings:
(1) absolutely no pressure whatsoever. Because the razor is so light I tended to over compensate and, coming from a fairly heavy Feather, my natural reaction was to press. Not necessary. I know it has been mentioned for this razor but I did not really understand the concept of "no pressure" before.
(2) Care on the neck area and any sharpish facial curves. I am taking it slowly with shorter and more measured very light strokes (see 1 above!). No more cuts.
(3) Three passes not necessary. Third pass increases the probability of frivolous, reckless strokes and potential cuts - 2 passes gives a more-than-acceptable shave. I have sensitive skin but a tough beard so 2 passes are fine for me.
This razor is working perfectly for me now!
Did you try it with a shim yet?

Macanbhaird

Veteran
Been off here a while but thought I would give an update on the PAA bakelite. After several of months on and off persevering with the razor I managed to crack it. I think it was just a matter of getting used to the open nature of it and I was just not used to that kind of shave. Also, I was way off with the angles due to another razor (Feather) I mostly use - it took me a while to work that out and I was blaming the razor for that (bad workman blames his tools). So, from being scared of it and using it less and less I managed to crack it. Perfect for mowing through a couple of days of growth and I can even use it with a Feather blade in it which I never thought I would manage. Still not shimmed it, but to be honest the set-up of the razor as-is works fine for me. Not sure I would want to use this razor on a daily basis due to its aggressive nature and that does not suit my skin so much. But overall I am now really glad I have this razor in my armoury and with 2 passes gives me a mighty fine shave.

D

Deleted member 1881

I don't have the razor, but from just seeing it, I can't really see any blade gap.

It seems aggressive, but I don't know how long it is going to last. I mean it is bakelite..