Other Linux/Unix users here?

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I just remembered that when shooting 360-degree images of razors there is one step that is incredibly computationally expensive (I might need more RAM as well)
Yup. Turns out 8GB is not enough. Another 8GB ordered to make it 16GB.
I just noticed that 2TB SSD disks are not outragedly expensive. Just slightly expensive. I need to stop right here.
On a happy note: I was concerned that tethered shooting (control SLR camera from the laptop with live preview) was not going to work with Linux, but amazingly it does! The software is ugly, but it works.
So with the exception of video editing, I can now do everything I do with my Mac with my Linux ThinkPad.

slapo

It's... alive!
Yup. Turns out 8GB is not enough. Another 8GB ordered to make it 16GB.
I just noticed that 2TB SSD disks are not outragedly expensive. Just slightly expensive. I need to stop right here.
On a happy note: I was concerned that tethered shooting (control SLR camera from the laptop with live preview) was not going to work with Linux, but amazingly it does! The software is ugly, but it works.
So with the exception of video editing, I can now do everything I do with my Mac with my Linux ThinkPad.
Would DaVinci Resolve be of any use?

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Would DaVinci Resolve be of any use?
It probably would, if I didn't already have a Mac Mini with Final Cut Pro paid for.
I'm very happy with what I have.
Video editing is not a frequent enough task to justify learning a new workflow.
And I wouldn't want to do it on a laptop anyway.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
There are certain areas where Linux still sucks after all those years.
WiFi.
I need to connect to two WiFi access points at the same time. Essential. Mandatory.
My workaround right now is to use one wired connection and one WiFi. Not practical on the road.
So what I need is a USB WiFi dongle. I insist on it being one of the tiny nano variety, so I can leave it in all the time.
They are cheap as chips, but which one works with Linux?
Most adapters make no claims whatsoever. Linux? What's that?
Googling I find one that works out of the box. In 2015. The manufacturer has since changed the chipset. In some of them.
So I might or might not get an adapter that works right away.
No problem, Google says. Download the driver source, compile it and manually install it.
I have done it many times in the past. My reaction this time:

It took me hours to track one down that a) claims to work with Linux and b) doesn't cost 35 quid plus.
I'll find out tomorrow if it actually works.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Update:
It works, but still not out of the box.
When you connect to the second network, Linux drops the connection to the first one, although there are two adapters.
Somewhere deep in the system settings is a way to restrict a network to a specific adapter.
Restrict one network to the first adapter, the other to the second adapter and it works.
Not my idea of "user-friendly". I'm bitterly disappointed.
But only briefly.
The ThinkPad with Linux, 16GB of RAM and 8 CPU cores kicks butt for less than half the price of a MacBook of similar power.
The Touchpad sucks though.

I'll shut up now.

slapo

It's... alive!
Update:
It works, but still not out of the box.
When you connect to the second network, Linux drops the connection to the first one, although there are two adapters.
Somewhere deep in the system settings is a way to restrict a network to a specific adapter.
Restrict one network to the first adapter, the other to the second adapter and it works.
Not my idea of "user-friendly". I'm bitterly disappointed.
But only briefly.
The ThinkPad with Linux, 16GB of RAM and 8 CPU cores kicks butt for less than half the price of a MacBook of similar power.
The Touchpad sucks though.

I'll shut up now.
I reckon it's just a 'smart' network manager trying to be clever about network choices and failing at it. Probably the devs either took shortcuts or made assumptions. If they didn't, there's probably a config file somewhere with an inconspicuous boolean toggle which you're going to find a year after giving up on this and researching an obscure linguistic topic leading you, somehow, to Stack Overflow, where you'll spot it in hot network questions.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I reckon it's just a 'smart' network manager trying to be clever about network choices and failing at it. Probably the devs either took shortcuts or made assumptions. If they didn't, there's probably a config file somewhere with an inconspicuous boolean toggle which you're going to find a year after giving up on this and researching an obscure linguistic topic leading you, somehow, to Stack Overflow, where you'll spot it in hot network questions.
Yes, the network manager is dismal. It deliberately tries to trip me up.
I did find the solution with the "restrict network", this time not on StackOverflow. Just by going through all the settings and thinking "What does this oddly named option do? I wonder." and could "wlx5a79deadbeef" be what Linux programmers consider a human-readable name for my WiFi adapter? Of course, it is!
Oh, I could go on about trying to configure two touchpads (the Apple one works!) and try to make them both scroll in the same direction, but I won't.