Oscar Pistorius sentence to be challanged

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Something funny is going on with this case. I feel that somebody is trying really hard not to send Pistorious down for a length of time that reflects the crime. Just my opinion though :)

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
End of the day, he killed his missus...intentionally or otherwise, the guy deserves to do hard time.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I totally agree, six years for murder is ridiculous. You even get more than that over here!

Dave-the-rave

Forum GOD!
He wasn't found guilty of intentionally killing her.
Some might say six years for unintentionally killing her is a lot.
Just sayin.

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Wasn't the minimum sentence 15 years for such a crime?

I don't know about you guys but I find this guy the most manipulative criminal I ever saw. I'm talking real life criminals. I just don't understand how the judge couldn't see through him. Something funny going on there I think.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
He wasn't found guilty of intentionally killing her.
Some might say six years for unintentionally killing her is a lot.
Just sayin.
He did kill her intentionally, that's why he was convicted of murder and not manslaughter. You can't unintentionally shoot someone four times.

Last edited:

Purbeck

Forum GOD!
The whole defence is based around whether he intentionally killed his girlfriend or whether he was unaware it was her. What this doesn’t take into account is that he 100% did intend to kill someone. They weren’t warning shots, they were aimed to kill (through a door).

The fact it was his girlfriend on the receiving end should be largely irrelevant. If it comes down to self defence – it should only be a plea if he was attacked – or threatened – which he wasn’t by his own admission.

What I don’t agree with though is the trial by media which has surrounded this case – and many like it. Court rooms should be closed with only verdicts announced. It is impossible for judges and jurors to be impartial with the huge coverage celebrities get.

Dave-the-rave

Forum GOD!
He did kill her intentionally, that's why he was convicted of murder and not manslaughter. You can't unintentionally shoot someone four times.
My understanding is he was found guilty of having no regard for whether the person behind the door was killed or not, not that he intentionally killed that person.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Under South African law that's the same thing hence the murder verdict. It's the principle of dolus eventualis, if you are aware that your actions might kill and then go ahead anyway it's murder. TBH I don't know how he could try to claim that firing four shots into a small toilet was anything other than an intent to kill, but that is pretty much a moot point in this case.

Even if we believe his claim that he thought he was shooting an intruder, it's still murder.