Opticians Recommendations

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Most PDs for adult males are between 65 - 67mm, unless your head is exceptionally narrow or wide. The mark-ups are extraordinary on both sides of the pond due to overheads, equipment, stock and space rentals. Most frames selling for £200 cost £30 wholesale. Opticians don't automatically take your PD because for the very fact that armed with an Rx and a PD, you can buy your glasses anywhere. They are required, by law, to give you your prescription. They're ot required to give you a PD, and Specsavers won't unless you buy glasses from them.
Easy enough to do measure a PD. Just need a ruler and someone to take it while you stare straight ahead.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I would suggest finding a good optometrist. Opticians are only in the business of selling glasses. But as far as the eye test and fitting, you need to have a good optometrist. As someone mentioned, since each Costco will have a different optometrist working there, your experience will vary between stores. Find a good optometrist with really good ratings. Optometrists sell glasses and if you don't see what you want, they will order them for you. Fitting glasses is not just trying to find ones that fit on your face. You also need to make sure they are fitted for your eyes which will make the difference between seeing ok and seeing really really well. My wife is an optometrist and she sees countless patients who have been to the chain stores and were never able to see well. You also need an optometrist who knows what they are doing because the eye exam is meant to screen you for diseases. Not just diseases of the eye but other systemic diseases which show early signs in the eye. A mediocre optometrist may miss something in your exam and if other symptoms show up later, it could be too late. Not trying to scare you but people often underestimate the importance of an eye exam. It's not just to determine your prescription. They are your eyes. Don't mess with them. Care for them. And if you have issues with wearing contacts, there are some optometrists who specialize in hard to fit contact lenses. People with astigmatism often think they can't wear contacts lenses. Not true. Find a good optometrist.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Most PDs for adult males are between 65 - 67mm, unless your head is exceptionally narrow or wide. The mark-ups are extraordinary on both sides of the pond due to overheads, equipment, stock and space rentals. Most frames selling for £200 cost £30 wholesale. Opticians don't automatically take your PD because for the very fact that armed with an Rx and a PD, you can buy your glasses anywhere. They are required, by law, to give you your prescription. They're ot required to give you a PD, and Specsavers won't unless you buy glasses from them.
...I am sure I read that the mark up in the UK is more like...£3.00 cost for frame, £300 - 500 retail...but what ever it is, there has to be a better way than paying full retail...

D

Deleted member 1881

Last time I went to the Opticians I told him I couldn't see very far. He took me outside, pointed up and said "What is that in the Sky"?
I said " it's the Sun"
He replied " How much bloody further do you want to see"?
Damn Wayne your optician has a great sense of humour! Hahaha

S

Steve Bowles

I would suggest finding a good optometrist. Opticians are only in the business of selling glasses. But as far as the eye test and fitting, you need to have a good optometrist. As someone mentioned, since each Costco will have a different optometrist working there, your experience will vary between stores. Find a good optometrist with really good ratings. Optometrists sell glasses and if you don't see what you want, they will order them for you. Fitting glasses is not just trying to find ones that fit on your face. You also need to make sure they are fitted for your eyes which will make the difference between seeing ok and seeing really really well. My wife is an optometrist and she sees countless patients who have been to the chain stores and were never able to see well. You also need an optometrist who knows what they are doing because the eye exam is meant to screen you for diseases. Not just diseases of the eye but other systemic diseases which show early signs in the eye. A mediocre optometrist may miss something in your exam and if other symptoms show up later, it could be too late. Not trying to scare you but people often underestimate the importance of an eye exam. It's not just to determine your prescription. They are your eyes. Don't mess with them. Care for them. And if you have issues with wearing contacts, there are some optometrists who specialize in hard to fit contact lenses. People with astigmatism often think they can't wear contacts lenses. Not true. Find a good optometrist.
In the UK, opticians are optometrists. In the US we have dispensing opticians, in the UK opticians do the eye exams. Semantical differences (as always).

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
In the UK, opticians are optometrists. In the US we have dispensing opticians, in the UK opticians do the eye exams.
Interesting. I've never heard of "dispensing opticians." In the US there are Opticians who sell glasses. There are Optometrists who perform exams and issue prescriptions and other things. And there are Ophthalmologists who are medical doctors who specialize in the eye and who can perform surgeries as well as everything else. It's also important to note that in the US, Optometrists are prohibited by law from working FOR Opticians. Opticians are either fully independent or they work for the Optometrist or Ophthalmologist. As I am not from the UK, I am unfamiliar with how it works over there. Since the OP is from the UK, and you know your way around this stuff, you got this.

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
I recently needed new glasses and found Asda Opticians to be excellent. I need varifocal and thin lenses and got 2 pairs of Designer glasses for £120 which is £60 less than I paid for 1 pair from Specsavers 2 years ago. they also open some late nights , Sunday and Bank Holidays. I was really pleased with them

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I used to be a lab technician in the States, and I can tell you that all labs use the same lenses and computer-aided manufacturing equipment. Get your eyes examined by any optician you have confidence in, and then order your glasses from www.glassesdirect.co.uk. You'll pay half as much, and get perfect glasses with a no-quibble return guarantee. You can choose a frame from their website, or send them your current frame. My last pair of varifocal, Transitions, and anti-reflection coating, and frame of my choice, cost me £210 -- less than half what Specsavers wanted.
Please help me here: in Canada an optician is not an eye doctor, but an optometrist and ophthalmologist are. Opticians work from a prescription written by an optometrist or ophthalmologist. Is this not the case in the UK? Thus in Canada the eye exam would be done by an optometrist or ophthalmologist.

Last edited:

Nisse

Old geezer
One problem can be finding the right frame but some online stores have a free borrow and try at home service.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
Please help me here: in Canada an optician is not an eye doctor, but an optometrist and ophthalmologist are. Opticians work from a prescription written by an optometrist or ophthalmologist. Is this not the case in the UK? Thus in Canada the eye exam would be done by an optometrist or ophthalmologist.
That is exactly how it works in the US as well.

Nisse

Old geezer
In Sweden the optician is skilled to do the eye exam needed for normal glasses, but if something is medically wrong with your eyes time to see an eye doctor.