One week vegetarian. Allow me to save you from these discoveries.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Humans are natural omnivores, fact. The arrangement of our teeth has nothing to do with it and I would point to the large fangs possessed by gorillas who are entirely vegetarian and chimpanzees and orangutans who are mostly vegetarian as evidence that you can’t draw meaningful conclusions from looking at teeth.

Also fact, meat is obviously not essential to our diet as evidenced by the number of people who don’t eat it and are quite healthy. We as a species have reached a point where meat consumption has become a matter of personal preference and I don’t believe the habits of our prehistoric ancestors who had to eat what was available are really relevant now where we have the choice.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
No real experience of vegetarian food. We did have a friend who cooked a Quorn pasta dish, couldn’t tell the difference, Mrs cooked a Quorn chilli same again no difference. All depends on the cooking and the herbs, spices, salt and pepper as well as good fresh ingredients.

Last edited:

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
My daughter has been vegan for the last 8 years and in that time we have all had a taste of a vegan diet, January vegan and so on. Some of the foods ard delicious but I could not live as a vegan, I'm OK for a day or two.
My daughter takes supplements but the question remains about the lack of essential fatty acids which are only animal based. There is an Australian doctor that says for this reason, 2 essential fatty acids missing from a vegan diet, the diet is not advisable.

It's my observation that vegans get a bad reputation because some of them take it as a religion; thankfully my daughter is not like that and she says the diet helps her control the allergies she used to suffer from, however, she has a friend that everytime she comes to the house for a visit, she finds a way the bring the subject up and she does it in such a way that I just walk out or leave the table, etc.

EDIT

To add a bit of extra info:

Essential fatty acid

Essential fatty acids, or EFAs, are fatty acids that humans and other animals must ingest because the body requires them for good health but cannot synthesize them. The term "essential fatty acid" refers to fatty acids required for biological processes but does not include the fats that only act as fuel. Essential fatty acids should not be confused with essential oils, which are "essential" in the sense of being a concentrated essence. Only two fatty acids are known to be essential for humans: alpha-linolenic acid and linoleic acid. Some other fatty acids are sometimes classified as "conditionally essential", meaning that they can become essential under some developmental or disease conditions; examples include docosahexaenoic acid and gamma-linolenic acid. When the two EFAs were discovered in 1923, they were designated "vitamin F", but in 1929, research on rats showed that the two EFAs are better classified as fats rather than vitamins.Wikipedia

Last edited:

Vacumatic

Testy
I could give up most things but I would really miss my bacon sandwiches, crispy bacon with chopped cooked tomatoes in focaccia.

Same goes for eggs, poached,fried, omelettes - whatever. I would struggle if eggs were off the menu.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I guess if there is a diet that appeals most to my patate it would be the Mediterranian Diet. Medical people tend to support eating these foods as well. I avoid fringe diets or highly restrictive diets.

Exercise is good, but not perfect. Not everyone has the bodies that allow them to run long term. Walking is said to be an excellent exercise. I know that hiking and walking has been a life long exercise.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
No real experience of vegetarian food. We did have a friend who cooed a Quorn pasta dish, couldn’t tell the difference, Mrs cooked a quorum chilli same again no difference. All depends on the cooking and the herbs, spices, salt and pepper as well as good fresh ingredients.
Two mistakes that are really quite funny there Saint - the idea of cooing a pasta dish appeals - but I have no idea as to what makes up a quorum when it comes to chilli.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Two mistakes that are really quite funny there Saint - the idea of cooing a pasta dish appeals - but I have no idea as to what makes up a quorum when it comes to chilli.
LOL, can’t type for toffee and the auto correct has a mind of its own. I’ve corrected myself. Of course cooing a pigeon for a dish would be interesting. But we may need quorum to vote on what to do with it.

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
2nd that opinion-Quorn nuggets are incredibly close to real McDonalds chicken nuggets and delicious.

One other thing I forgot to mention reading the ingredients and salt/fat content of many vegan option on the supermarket shelf makes one realise that the meat option is sometimes healthier. In fact a sausage roll from Wenzels carries very close to the same fat content as a vegan sausage roll from the same place. Yes the pastry is probably the culprit, however you could also consider the issue of ultra high processed vegan foods over meat.

Anyway I think your opening line is quality.
The quorn southern fried ones are even better.

Lord Fatboy

Forgo Mud !
OK, burn me as a heretic...if we were not evolved to eat meat then why the canine teeth?
For ripping and tearing through a raw cabbage?
Meat is OK (in moderation). I read online (Dr. Google) that we do need fats for our brains. Fat allows the connections between the cells of the brain (the wee 'sparky' bits for when you get a bright idea).
Fish oil, etc is fine too.
Now, a nice bit of Pork with steaming hot crackling...come on guys, that's so Yum.
Steak with eggs and chips? Yes please.
If you are a true vegetarian, do you also take vitamin/health supplements?
If so, why?
How healthy are you actually? Athletically fit?
Genuine questions to see if I've been wrong all the previous 74 years.
My wife is vege (and so was I, several years ago, for several years).
I do all the cooking and I used to eat what she ate.
Over the last two-three years I've made a concerted effort to eat more meat & animal products. I feel much better & stronger than the 10 years previous to that.
No doubt some people get along with vegetarianism and veganism - I've seen it happen - but I don't.
My first instinct is to see them as forms of orthorexia (when done "for health" as opposed to ethical considerations), but I'm aware that is a prejudice because life is complicated.