Omega vs Zenith Boars

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
Right then chaps, I know and love the BIG Omega boar knot - it lathers like beast, holds lots of lather yet lets go like Faither on the Christmas sprouts. Gorgeously split, soft tips too.

I have an unbleached Zenith big boar incoming from Your Shaving that I’ll crack the handle off and set into a hand carved wood handle. What I’m really wondering about, is Zenith’s standard bleached big boar vs the same from Omega - is it denser, softer, quicker to break in or is there little difference between the two? What are your preferences if you’ve experienced both?

If they’re different enough beasts then I’ll go for a bleached Zenith come the day of pension, if not, I already have a pair of Omegas awaiting wooden sties.

p.b

Forum GOD!
In my experience and opinion those are the two best boar knots readily available. I have both and have a slight preference to one of them but it’s purely down to preference and I’m not going to tell you which. 😁

Enjoy the break in process and I look forward to hearing about them and seeing your new handle.

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
In my experience and opinion those are the two best boar knots readily available. I have both and have a slight preference to one of them but it’s purely down to preference and I’m not going to tell you which. 😁

Enjoy the break in process and I look forward to hearing about them and seeing your new handle.
Thanks for the feedback but please, do tell! I’m in suspenders here. No that’s only at the weekend - I think I meant ‘suspense’.

Ah, the break-in period, that glorious rite of passage…

p.b

Forum GOD!
Nope. Not gonna say 😜

All I will say is that the Zenith will break in faster, in fact it’ll break in faster than the stink dissipates :sick:

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
Naughty man…
Will you tell once I’ve broken in the new unbleached Zenith and formed my own opinion? You better, you better, you bet! 👍😎

Reactions: p.b

Merkurologist

Forum GOD!
Right then chaps, I know and love the BIG Omega boar knot - it lathers like beast, holds lots of lather yet lets go like Faither on the Christmas sprouts. Gorgeously split, soft tips too.

I have an unbleached Zenith big boar incoming from Your Shaving that I’ll crack the handle off and set into a hand carved wood handle. What I’m really wondering about, is Zenith’s standard bleached big boar vs the same from Omega - is it denser, softer, quicker to break in or is there little difference between the two? What are your preferences if you’ve experienced both?

If they’re different enough beasts then I’ll go for a bleached Zenith come the day of pension, if not, I already have a pair of Omegas awaiting wooden sties.
I have the big Zenith unbleached knot, I think it's the 63mm or perhaps a 65mm....I can't remember. I like it but not as much as the Zenith unbleached 56mm loft. I alternate between the short and long wooden handle version nearly everyday.... Now, that is a remarkable statement for somebody that didn't rate boar brushes very much just a few months ago.

I also have the Omega 49, the smile wild hog and the Proraso, and the 49 with the taller loft is my least favourite.

The Zenith unbleached 56mm loft but 24mm knot, in the silver handle, has been disappointing, however, they are so cheap to buy that I don't regret buying it.

So I've learnt that I prefer the shorter loft brushes with lots of backbone....but that is just my personal preference.

The Zenith do brake in faster than they lose the stink.

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
Thank you sir. Given my experience of the big Omega boar I set into my own carved haandle, I prefer the shorter loft it has over my old 20102 which I still rate as the best value entry brush to wet shaving traditional style. Not sure I could go as low as the big scrubby Zenith at 28x50:

0ECFF976-2260-461C-A773-D9F892931C45.jpeg