Old Taylor's vs. new Taylor's

tryphon

Über Member
I am sure most of you already know that many high street UK shaving cream Brands changed their formulas about ten years ago, to meet EU regulations. Unfortunately, the change was not an improvement. I still have a partially filled bowl of Taylor's Lavender shave cream from thirty years ago. The fragrance is superb. It is the scent I remember when entering their shop in London (Or Geo. Trumper's, since I believe their Lavender scents were very similar). The cream was a deep purple color. I also have a bowl of Taylor's Lavender from 8 years ago and one bowl of the current production cream. The 8 year old cream was much lighter in color and the scent was not even comparable: much more synthetic and not as pleasant (IMHO). The new one is a litte darker (but nowhere like to very old one) and the scent is still not as good as it used to be. I wonder if, with Brexit, the UK companies are able to go back to their original formulas. BTW, same story with the Rose creams, not as good or as fragrant as they used to be.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
I guess I'm fortunate not to have been into shaving at that point. I just got two tubs of TOBS shaving creams and I like them a lot. They'll surely go a lot faster than hard soaps, but I love the scents and they lather very well. Ignorance is bliss.

But real question: For the consumers, does it matter? There seems to be consensus that they're a surplus of amazing soaps (more so than creams) that have emerged in the last few years. Good opportunity to try new products? [Read: More excuses to buy new things.]

tryphon

Über Member
Last night I opened three tubs of TOOBS Lavender cream: the difference between the two more recent ones and the 30 year old one is reall great. The scent of the old one is bliss. I like the newer ones, but I love the old one. If you never tried the old one, as you rightly say, you'll never know what you are missing.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Last night I opened three tubs of TOOBS Lavender cream: the difference between the two more recent ones and the 30 year old one is reall great. The scent of the old one is bliss. I like the newer ones, but I love the old one. If you never tried the old one, as you rightly say, you'll never know what you are missing.
You have one from 30 years ago? And it is still okay? Hasn't gone bad?