Old Guy just discovered Tabac!

ALBA Andy

Forum GOD!
Had a hunt through the shaving box pre shave looking for that Tabac to try but no joy. On the plus side I found a new Wilkinson butterfly razor I never knew I had so it wasn't a wasted rummage. Putting the shaving gear away in the bathroom cabinet post shave, had to have a reshuffle to fit this new razor in and lo and behold there was the elusive Tabac. I'll get it next time, old granny or gay brothel, the mind boggles.

ALBA Andy

Forum GOD!
That Wilkinson butterfly is a nice shaver, mild with a nice, long handle.
Quite heavy too in comparison to the Merkur 33c I've been using. I'm not complaining, just found the shave a bit awkward being a weightier razor and the long handle. Shave went well, I'll soldier on with the Wilkinson butterfly and resign the Merkur to the travel kit.

Steve

Boomer Member
Quite heavy too in comparison to the Merkur 33c I've been using. I'm not complaining, just found the shave a bit awkward being a weightier razor and the long handle. Shave went well, I'll soldier on with the Wilkinson butterfly and resign the Merkur to the travel kit.
I found the Wilkinson between the heaviness of the Parker 66R ( which requires two hands to shave with), and the Merkur 33c. Usually, I'm a fan of long handles, but the handle on the Wilkinson could be a couple of mm shorter and not lose any efficiency.

ALBA Andy

Forum GOD!
I found the Wilkinson between the heaviness of the Parker 66R ( which requires two hands to shave with), and the Merkur 33c. Usually, I'm a fan of long handles, but the handle on the Wilkinson could be a couple of mm shorter and not lose any efficiency.
Having visions of a Claymore for the Parker 66R.

I've tried a few own brand items from Amazon under the name 'Solimo', shower gel, shampoo etc and they've all been fine. Last thing under the Solimo tag I bought was 'Solimo - Men After Shave Balm with Aloe Vera & Liquorice'and I was fair impressed with it. Getting to my point, I've since noticed they do a butterfly razor too for a pittance so I think I'll buy one on the strength of past purchases.
Amazon Brand - Solimo Double edge classic razor with 50 blades

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
This thread has nudged me to go for a Tabac outing. A day which tends to get forgotten mainly due to the scent of Tabac.

Is Tabac VERY efficient - yes
Is Tabac nice smelling - no
Is Tabac unpleasant smelling - no
Is tabac VERY reasonably priced for its quality of shave - very much so yes.

So - for me, it is not my 'go to' due to the lack of scent, not that it is unpleasant. Does it smell? yes, but of what? Not sure.

That said EVERY self respecting wet shaver should have a proper ceramic jar of Tabac soap and a similar ceramic with MWF as part of their display regardless of how often they use them. Add a wooden TOBS bowl and that is what I am allowed to leave in our bathroom. ( I insist / she allows? ). All my other software is relegated to my study.

Today - 6S black with new Nacet and Tabac ( usual drop of glycerine added ). A very nice day at shave city was had in this house.

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
That said EVERY self respecting wet shaver should have a proper ceramic jar of Tabac soap and a similar ceramic with MWF as part of their display regardless of how often they use them. Add a wooden TOBS bowl and that is what I am allowed to leave in our bathroom. ( I insist / she allows? ). All my other software is relegated to my study.
You can add a classic Shulton Old Spice mug to that list.