Oil & fuel additives

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
There are loads of potions, philtres, elixirs and the like for putting in a car's orifices on the market, I was wondering if anyone here used any of them and why.

I put good old STP in the oil after the Pug's last service as it's 15 years old and has 130k miles on the clock but haven't bothered with our 19 plate Karoq.

The Pug gets regular doses of DPF and injector cleaner which seems to help. At the last MOT the emissions were barely registering, which pleased me.

Not put anything in the petrol Karoq at all. Should I?

Any thoughts gents?

Thanks

steve

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
There are loads of potions, philtres, elixirs and the like for putting in a car's orifices on the market, I was wondering if anyone here used any of them and why.

I put good old STP in the oil after the Pug's last service as it's 15 years old and has 130k miles on the clock but haven't bothered with our 19 plate Karoq.

The Pug gets regular doses of DPF and injector cleaner which seems to help. At the last MOT the emissions were barely registering, which pleased me.

Not put anything in the petrol Karoq at all. Should I?

Any thoughts gents?

Thanks

steve
I wouldn’t bother, modern petrol engines are a lot cleaner these days. I don’t feel there is much benefit. There is always agreement over Branded against Supermarket fuels but in my opinion they are much the same. In fact on the diesel Pug I did try a branded fuel and it didn’t work out any difference in MPG. They recon on branded ones having extra additives, my mate owns a dealership with a petrol forecourt and he recons the fuel comes from the same depot and all they do is add these additives at the filling of the tanker. But his petrol was the one that made no difference and it’s BP. Infact adding anything other than the correct octane fuel to the tank on a warrantied car could run you into trouble, may be ?

Last edited:

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
This is what I do for a living, I’m a Fuel Terminal Process Operator.
I also have this argument as least four times a year on car groups on FB...At work now so when I have a chance I’ll do a proper post but quickly for now.
Yes as above additives are added at the Terminal.
Octane isn’t the same as additives.
Branded fuel does have slightly better additives than ‘supermarket’ fuel and that’s the cost difference you pay at the forecourt.
I use mainly Tesco as it’s usually the cheapest, Costco even cheaper and then twice a year I chuck in Redex

karlc

Forum GOD!
As a P.S most guys in the business use the cheapest fuel and then bi-monthly (thereabouts) fill the tank up with the dear stuff to clear things though
Have you heard / use Archoils stuff? considering getting some of it as I use my car for my job

Vacumatic

Testy
Before cars had electronic ignition and fuel injection I used to start the car, let it warm up and then add STP, the tickover would always increase which suggested to me that there was less friction inside the engine.

The current advice is that modern synthetic oils are so carefully crated that they are perfect from the start and that you should not add anything.

As regards fuel, for the small difference in price between the best and worst in a town I would use the best fuel I can find. My car is supercharged and turbocharged and the makers say to use 99 octane as a minimum. I have used a lower octane fuel and can really tell the difference when climbing a steep hill near my home, the car can pull 4th gear all the way up with 99 octane, 95 octane needs 3rd gear.

Tesco sell the 99 octane petrol at a reasonable price, I think it is called Momentum 99.

R181

Grumpy old man
The only things I add to gasoline are fuel stabiliser to the lawn mower/snow blower when they are put away for the season and injection cleaner to the car the odd time. I add nothing to engine oil and just use synthetic oil. When I had a manual transmission that too got synthetic oil and made shifting a lot easier in winter.

When I had a diesel 3/4 ton pickup truck I added Kleen Flo Anti Gel Conditioner in the colder months. That and made sure I always used #1 diesel fuel and not the #2 variety.

Bob