New to the forum, Hello!

Aspzan

Veteran
Hi, I originally signed up a week ago but have been busy-ish and forgot to post/introduce myself. If that's important to mention.

I'm Andrew from the NW of England. I've been shaving with a DE safety razor for about 5 months (I think) and recently got a straight razor however I'm unhappy with it and hope to get a better one asap. (Suggestions?)

Originally I was using the sandalwood starter kit from shavelounge but I have chosen some other soaps to use and a particular blade, yellow Gillettes. My current soaps are Stirling barbershop and OSP sandalwood. I also have Wickham shamrock tweed but I'm not the biggest fan of the scent, it's ok.

I have an interest in many traditional things, so for example I'll be training to be a joiner and I like the more traditional side. Anything from hand tool use to old technques.

Anyway just some info/background in shaving... Wanted to introduce myself and hope to get to know the members of the forum. Sorry for the long-ish intro

Snuff

Forum GOD!
Hello Andrew, welcome! What is disappointing about your razor? Might not be the razor but the fact that you need to have some shaves under your belt before you get good results, was it honed by someone?

Aspzan

Veteran
Hello Andrew, welcome! What is disappointing about your razor? Might not be the razor but the fact that you need to have some shaves under your belt before you get good results, was it honed by someone?
Thanks! I got it from someone online, not sure if I should mention where? It was honed etc and shave ready however it tugs a bit but does shave I suppose. I only did my sideburn to jaw on both sides. I haven't used it since

Tbh I was expecting something a bit fancier because someone suggested/recommended the person I got it from. When I read the actual item description I realised what I'd ordered. If that makes sense? Essentially it was a plastic handle, ok blade which didn't have a maker or location on the tang.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Never got past the initial phase of straights, myself, so not much help in me. But I can certainly wish you welcome :)

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Welcome to ATG.
I'd champion persevering with a straight, post in the straight razor section, you'll get plenty of help. Its a very friendly place.

Aspzan

Veteran
Welcome to ATG.
I'd champion persevering with a straight, post in the straight razor section, you'll get plenty of help. Its a very friendly place.
Thanks! I think I will persevere and the one I have will do for now, I expect. If you're interested it's got Velvo on the handle/scales which are yellow plastic. I don't think the blade etc is original

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Thanks! I think I will persevere and the one I have will do for now, I expect. If you're interested it's got Velvo on the handle/scales which are yellow plastic. I don't think the blade etc is original
Start a thread in the straight razor forum with some pictures, I'm still a relative newbie of 1 yrs. Several of the members are true experts and will give honest, practical advice.