New Improved vs New Deluxe

Discussion in 'Double Edge Safety Razors (DE)' started by MntnMan62, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

Lately I have been shaving mostly with my New Deluxe head on a Ikon Bulldog handle. And it got me wondering how these two similar yet different designs might compare to one another. So, today I put one of my New Improved heads on the same handle. During the shave things seemed fine but when I was done I ended up with 3 nicks and some pronounced feedback when I applied the alum. My shaves with the New Deluxe have been blood free and very little feedback from the alum. I realize this is only one shave but to me the result was not on par. I’m going to use the New Improved twice more and if things don’t improve I will crown the New Deluxe the winner of this faceoff.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Boru62 likes this.
  2. les24preludes

les24preludes Über Member

I'd give it to the New Improved - must be more efficient if it's drawing blood.....

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Forum GOD!

New Improved.

4. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

My shaves with the New Deluxe are BBS but without the blood and irritation. But I’ll defer until I’ve done the other two shaves with the New Improved.

5. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

After two very rough shaves with my New Improved I shaved with the New Deluxe again and all I can say is there is no comparison. I used the exact same blade and the same handle as the two previous rough shaves with the New Improved and while the New Improved ate up my face in both shaves, the New Deluxe has only treated me to total comfort. It's not even close in terms of comparison. The New Deluxe doesn't nick or cut me and I get a BBS every time. I don't need to experiment anymore and will save my face the hassle of having to go through all that blood again. I'm now on the hunt for another New Deluxe so I have a couple on hand.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Forum GOD!

There is also the Ikon Deluxe OC which is a clone of the New Deluxe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Rowlers, Boru62 and MntnMan62 like this.
  7. Boru62

Boru62 Shaving Boar

I haven't tried the Deluxe but my shaves with the Improved are always very good. In fact the last time I used it left me pondering if Gillette had perfected the OC format.

MntnMan62 likes this.
  8. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

Yes. I know about that one. But I've heard from some people that the version with the coating on it, I guess they call it the B1, has a lot more tooth feel. I would consider trying to find a used Ikon Deluxe without the coating on it as I've heard it shaves more comfortably. I won't buy a new razor from Ikon though. I saw a B1 head available on the site by the bay and asked a simple question about the coating. I received a curiously snarky response basically saying that this razor is not for people like me. The seller is the owner of Ikon. Therefore Ikon will never see a dime more of my money. I say "more" because about a year ago I did buy two of their handles, the Bulldog in 80mm and 85mm. But after the email exchange I will never do business with someone who makes it so clear that he doesn't want my business. My bet is that he was using reverse psychology to make me want his razor even more. Well, surprise. Not gonna happen.

9. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

Funny you should say that because that is exactly how I feel about my New Deluxe shaves. :notworthy:

Boru62 likes this.
  10. Boru62

Boru62 Shaving Boar

I should have said OC DE because the MMOC, DeHaven Model 3 and Valet VC-1 are preferable to me.

MntnMan62 likes this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Forum GOD!

Yes I'm one of those who commented about the toothy feel. For what reason I prefer my New Improved.variants over the New Deluxe though I get good shaves from both. I don't think I could distinguish the ND from my Long Comb, whereas the Short Comb is notably more efficient than any of those.

MntnMan62 likes this.
  12. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Über Member

Yes I thought it was you who mentioned the toothy feel. Comparing the NEW long comb and short comb I found I prefer the short comb for some reason. I found the long comb bit me more while the short comb gave me more comfortable shaves. I will likely give the New Improved another shot. After all, I have all this stuff, I gotta find a reason to use it.

13. jmudrick

jmudrick Forum GOD!

Yep that's how they getcha.

14. p.b

p.b Forum GOD!

New Improved/deluxe/short/long :scratchhead:

I can only understand pretty pictures. Any photos of the aforementioned razors please? :okay:

Rowlers likes this.
  15. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Yeah have no clue on the difference either :scratchhead::scratchhead:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice