New Chefs knife

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Just wondering if I am missing out on a nice entry level 8'' Chef knife as a "new kitchen" present for my brother?
I narrowed it down to
Mercer Culinary M23510
Mercer Culinary M21078
ZWILLING 30748-181-0 Twin Pollux Santoku Knife
Orient 8'' Chef knife.

There are loads of beautiful knives on amazon, inc presentation boxed that look superb for a present, but they are at a guess cheap knives from China...

Anything else on the £30-40 region?

Grarea

Forum Plod
A bit more utilitarian than beautiful, but I just got some Pallares Solsona knives.
Carbon steel. Box wood handle.
Spanish.
Recommended from a knife guy as a decent bit of steel.
Amazing value.

They come in need of a sharpen, but I did a quick bit on a stone and a strop and could slice a cucumber on its end without holding it.
You know the test, right?
Imagine what they will be like if i ever get half an idea of sharpening them.

They do a great range of sizes plus a couple of shapes. 8cm to 22cm i think it is.
But not all of them are available in the uk.
Worth hunting about for the best price for the size you want.

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
I have a Henckels Zwilling santoku I bought about 10 years ago, and it's the best knife in the block, apart from my original carbon steel Sabatiers from the 70s.

It's tough, has a deep, stiff blade and comfortable handle, and is the right length for any job including carving a small joint and stays very sharp. A touch up with ceramic or diamond sharpener brings it up razor-sharp, and that's the sharp that can shave the hair off my arm.

SammieM

Forum GOD!

You can’t go wrong with Solicut knives. They used to be called Goldhamster and were bought out by Felix Solingen. The knife is tapered top to bottom and left to right and doesn’t have a stabiliser. Much easier to sharpen, yet it still has a finger guard. Great steel. Very good value...

Last edited:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Good options, but I can;t spend taht much on a new kitchen pressie, not even knowing if he is going to appreciate it!

I think I have found a nice option though, Kai Wasabi 20cm Chef knife for less than £50. There is also the Victorinox Wooden handled at a similar price. So I have a few options...

slapo

It's... alive!
Silly of me to suggest, maybe, but he might also appreciate a deba or a nakiri knife, especially if he'd have a chef's he's still happy with.

morr

Forum GOD!
Just wondering if I am missing out on a nice entry level 8'' Chef knife as a "new kitchen" present for my brother?
I narrowed it down to
Mercer Culinary M23510
Mercer Culinary M21078
ZWILLING 30748-181-0 Twin Pollux Santoku Knife
Orient 8'' Chef knife.

There are loads of beautiful knives on amazon, inc presentation boxed that look superb for a present, but they are at a guess cheap knives from China...

Anything else on the £30-40 region?
The general recommendation in that price range is the Victorinox Swiss https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/pt/-victorinox-swiss-modern-chefs-knife-20-cm-black.htm
I haven't tried it so can't really comment on it.

If you can stretch your budget a bit I would suggest considering a Burgvogel:
https://solingen24.com/en/Kitchen-knives/Culinary/chef-s-knives/
I have one with the Olive handle and it looks nicer than my Wusthofs. Bonus info - Burgvogel is sold in the US as Messermeister with a much higher price tag.

SammieM

Forum GOD!
I am a big fan of the way the bunka knives look. Very thin grinds that can be made exceptionally sharp...