New BT Hub thing.

My father just got a Smart Hub 2 through the post from BT which wasn’t requested. According to the blurb the area is being ‘upgraded’ from copper to fibre. Looks like it has to be done as the old hub won’t work, but his question was ... It still has to get through the copper wire in the house doesn’t it? Not being a font of wisdom on the subject, can someone enlighten please?

I just said it speeds it all up to the green box in the street which is where the benefit is. It didn’t cut the mustard. Was I right or wrong?

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
BT is Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC), cabinet to the property is still copper wire. If he's upgrading from standard broadband to fibre then it's quite possible the existing Hub (actually not a hub at all, it's a router, stupid BT name) won't work as it probably isn't VDSL compatible.

Thanks Chris. The included info did say as much about the old equipment not working. It is old too, I think it’s their first ‘hub’ model. Even if the speed doesn’t change at least the hub will work better ... the old one I’m sure is a bit knackered.

Is the idea that the traffic flows faster up to the box and then goes into low gear to the house?? :D

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Sort of, it will still be faster to the house though. I get 40mbps on average compared to 6 on standard broadband. It would be faster still with FTTP (Fibre To The Property) but BT don't currently offer it.

The BT "Hubs" aren't brilliant, I replaced mine with a TP-Link router.

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
For most people they’re probably fine, I wanted more advanced features and the BT one had a habit of falling over if I tried to transfer large files to the NAS over WiFi.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
It’s fibre to our cabinet and copper from cabinet to house and works great with an average download speed of 65. Hub is a great hub just sits there nothing to do.