Mundane News

TobyC

Patriot
I understand that in 95% of cases the cause of hypertension is not known. Genes can play a role along with environmental factors, diet ad lifestyle. My Mum and her sister had very high blood pressure, but it was controlled and they lived good lives into their 90s. The key is to have it treated and sticking to what the quacks recommend. I’ve been on bp tablets for over 20 years and I’m 75 now. My lifestyle is acceptable: moderate drinking, regular exercise, but I’m a fitful sleeper and tend to be anxious.
I was only 43 when I had a triple bypass, high cholesterol has no symptoms until you fall over and the meat wagon hauls you off to get some really cool scars.

R181

Grumpy old man
A simple blood test/tests will indicate if you have high cholesterol or not. Might be a good idea to have one in your yearly check up. I'd also ask your doctor or pharmacist if it is recommended that you take your drugs with food. Long term use of drugs can have a bad effect on your stomach and internal organs like the liver and kidneys.

Bob

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
Cholesterol high?

I take meds for cholesterol and BP, genetics plays a role that we can't avoid.
I’ve no idea of my cholesterol level to be honest. No doubt the blood and urine tests will provide some sort of answer. Don’t want tranquillisers and would prefer to avoid medication if any kind.

As for stress, family circumstances may be contributing but are unavoidable sadly. :(

Thanks for your comments chaps. I’m glad I can share.

steve

Vacumatic

Testy
A few weeks ago I thought I was having a heart attack, turned out to be just down to anxiety and panic following some very bad news. However, this started a process of investigations into my blood and heart.

I stopped the blood tests when they reached the point where they wanted to do a biopsy of my bone marrow into my hip bone, this was on the basis that all the blood readings were normal but they just wanted to make sure of the readings. They were going to use a large hollow needle from the back and go into my hip, sod that.

The heart tests were also stopped by me, again after all the tests were shown to be normal, especially blood pressure, they still wanted to do extensive tests. I could kid you along and tell you that I thought it better for NHS resources to be spent on people who really needed them but the reality is that I was just plain chicken.

Something that I should pass on, and this follows a long conversation with a chatty consultant, is to throw away your salt on food, even during cooking, if you need something extra on your food try ground pepper. Cut right down on alcohol and the most obvious, no smoking. Interestingly , at least to me, he had little respect as to the benefits of rigorous exercise, other than a good walk with a dog, and didn't think much to crazy diets either, just keep things in moderation, he was really pro fruit and vegetables.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Tough day at work. I had the students on a task where they had to write a few lines about themselves. Sad to say a few I have had to report on to tutorial care. Sad readings of low self esteem and unhappy thoughts.

TobyC

Patriot
Tough day at work. I had the students on a task where they had to write a few lines about themselves. Sad to say a few I have had to report on to tutorial care. Sad readings of low self esteem and unhappy thoughts.
Lockdown blues, too much empty time.