Mundane News

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Well I like to think I’m a pretty decent sort of person. At college I give the lads 15 minute breaks when they are only due 5. I try and do what they want and expect, and within reason in class. I treat them like adults and ensure they all treat each other with respect. The new intake always try it on but it bounces off. This year the numbers are double and the pressure is on. After four weeks I’m afraid to say it has been getting a little bit of a stress and I’ve been pretty pee’d off, it’s infact been tough.

Well today a couple of students kept pushing buttons by not listening, looking at phone's etc. So I got to a final warning, two still did it. With that I simply told them to leave. Well they looked shocked and didn’t want to go. Firmly and politely I reaffirmed and they left. Initial feeling of guilt by me, told my boss, his reaction ? Fine ! Your lesson ! But boy do I feel good ! All that pent up stress has dissolved and I feel bloody fantastic. Sounds crappy but I’ve up to 28, 16 year old lads in some lessons. Three of t(em due to their behaviour over the first four weeks will be off the course, actions and consequences!

Don’t like doing it, but the good ones were suffering due to it. Oh and I had to report someone to safeguarding due to my concerns over their wellbeing ! A drink tonight ? Oh yes !!

R181

Grumpy old man
Sounds crappy but I’ve up to 28, 16 year old lads in some lessons.
IIRC, class sizes in high school were routinely in the 30 odd persons when I was there in the late 1960s early 1970s. I don't think much has changed here in a half century since then. Hard to control a class that size but at least we did not have cell phones to add to the aggravation of our teachers. The only change here is that teachers have even less means by which to try and bring control to the class room. My hat is off to those that teach today. I certainly would not do it. Enjoy that well deserved drink, Lord knows you have earned it.

Bob

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
IIRC, class sizes in high school were routinely in the 30 odd persons when I was there in the late 1960s early 1970s. I don't think much has changed here in a half century since then. Hard to control a class that size but at least we did not have cell phones to add to the aggravation of our teachers. The only change here is that teachers have even less means by which to try and bring control to the class room. My hat is off to those that teach today. I certainly would not do it. Enjoy that well deserved drink, Lord knows you have earned it.

Bob
Cheers !!

Phones are the biggest pain in the neck going they are like a drug. If it was up to me I’d use a jammer. Sadly such devices are illegal, let alone heaven forbid their human rights. On the whole I do have a majority of decent lads it’s just that one or two. These are also the ones that drag other down with them an pull others in to their world. I have had three students, one yesterday and two today who thanked me for a session on First Aid, all something I put together on overheads taken from my knowledge of First Aid in Scouting and the work place. So it’s not all bad.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Well I like to think I’m a pretty decent sort of person. At college I give the lads 15 minute breaks when they are only due 5. I try and do what they want and expect, and within reason in class. I treat them like adults and ensure they all treat each other with respect. The new intake always try it on but it bounces off. This year the numbers are double and the pressure is on. After four weeks I’m afraid to say it has been getting a little bit of a stress and I’ve been pretty pee’d off, it’s infact been tough.

Well today a couple of students kept pushing buttons by not listening, looking at phone's etc. So I got to a final warning, two still did it. With that I simply told them to leave. Well they looked shocked and didn’t want to go. Firmly and politely I reaffirmed and they left. Initial feeling of guilt by me, told my boss, his reaction ? Fine ! Your lesson ! But boy do I feel good ! All that pent up stress has dissolved and I feel bloody fantastic. Sounds crappy but I’ve up to 28, 16 year old lads in some lessons. Three of t(em due to their behaviour over the first four weeks will be off the course, actions and consequences!

Don’t like doing it, but the good ones were suffering due to it. Oh and I had to report someone to safeguarding due to my concerns over their wellbeing ! A drink tonight ? Oh yes !!
Well done. You've made your life and the remaining students life better.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Another poo storm of a day At work ! Four students don’t turn up ! 25 minutes later I bump in to them.

They start off shouting and moaning then go on to swear at me. They apparently turned up to the wrong classroom and it’s my fault ! Bear in mind that their timetable clearly states where they should be and has done for three weeks and for the last two weeks they got to the same correct classroom on time. No changes and nothing to do with me. Being that late they all got absent marks, they didn’t like that and were f’in at me. Funny thing is they according to others had been to Macdonalds ! They even tried going to admin and admin asked me to change the register ! That got a firm NO.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Another poo storm of a day At work ! Four students don’t turn up ! 25 minutes later I bump in to them.

They start off shouting and moaning then go on to swear at me. They apparently turned up to the wrong classroom and it’s my fault ! Bear in mind that their timetable clearly states where they should be and has done for three weeks and for the last two weeks they got to the same correct classroom on time. No changes and nothing to do with me. Being that late they all got absent marks, they didn’t like that and were f’in at me. Funny thing is they according to others had been to Macdonalds ! They even tried going to admin and admin asked me to change the register ! That got a firm NO.
Feet up and relax, tomorrows another day! :) P.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Mrs Saint has just dug out everything for her Scout DBS renewal. It’s taken us 29 years to notice that whilst her DOB is correct they have her age wrong on our marriage cert !