Completed Mulcuto No.1

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Well, First impressions. Oh this looks interesting. Although the lines are simple, there is an elegance as well.
I agree with Andy views about the handle, I to was worried about it's grip level, especially with wet hands but the grip is very good on this fluted handle!
To be honest I love an open comb over a straight bar, every time. So The plan was simple, Shave one side with the open comb and the other with the straight bar.

Decided to go with James / Dr Watson's recommendation of a Feather blade with the following:

So for this test, I started with the Open Comb on the right side and followed with the SB on the left.

OC - Wow! now that is a noise I like a lot. With the feather blade I was expecting a fair amount of aggressiveness but found that was not the case. It was a mild to middle aggressive and very, very efficient. Razor glided lovely and the grip was solid and assuring. So much lather left behind, loved it.

SB - This is where I disagree with Andy. Started out well but very quickly I new it was no where as efficient as the OC but it wasn't a bad shave all the same.

Just for the laugh,
I cleaned my face of lather and compared the feel after just one pass, Left side - OC felt so good when compared to right side SB.
So, I said sod it and lathered up again but decided to just use to OC.
This cuts effortlessly and looks so good. The only other razor I could compare the OC to, is the Merker 41c with 1904 handle which I own but this razor is smaller and it's handle is much shorter. Never the less they are very similar but the Mulcuto OC sound is fantastic.
I really enjoyed the OC shave and yes I know the next one will be with the SB and I think I would prefare a Gillette blue platinum but we will see.

Dr Watson

James
Well, First impressions. Oh this looks interesting. Although the lines are simple, there is an elegance as well.
I agree with Andy views about the handle, I to was worried about it's grip level, especially with wet hands but the grip is very good on this fluted handle!
To be honest I love an open comb over a straight bar, every time. So The plan was simple, Shave one side with the open comb and the other with the straight bar.

Decided to go with James / Dr Watson's recommendation of a Feather blade with the following:

So for this test, I started with the Open Comb on the right side and followed with the SB on the left.

OC - Wow! now that is a noise I like a lot. With the feather blade I was expecting a fair amount of aggressiveness but found that was not the case. It was a mild to middle aggressive and very, very efficient. Razor glided lovely and the grip was solid and assuring. So much lather left behind, loved it.

SB - This is where I disagree with Andy. Started out well but very quickly I new it was no where as efficient as the OC but it wasn't a bad shave all the same.

Just for the laugh,
I cleaned my face of lather and compared the feel after just one pass, Left side - OC felt so good when compared to right side SB.
So, I said sod it and lathered up again but decided to just use to OC.
This cuts effortlessly and looks so good. The only other razor I could compare the OC to, is the Merker 41c with 1904 handle which I own but this razor is smaller and it's handle is much shorter. Never the less they are very similar but the Mulcuto OC sound is fantastic.
I really enjoyed the OC shave and yes I know the next one will be with the SB and I think I would prefare a Gillette blue platinum but we will see.
Thanks for the write up, it's really interesting to see how our experiences vary. I'm still surprised people are finding the shave different depending on which side they use OC vs SB, for me they shave exactly the same, just with a different face feel... At least I think they did :scratchhead: will have to try again, you lot make me doubt myself :laugh:

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Sorry it has taken so long to get back but the meds are slowing down my stubble growth.

Finally carried out a second shave and decided to replicate the first shave but only us the SB side .
So Paa Cad soap, a new Feather blade followed by Cad aftershave. Cad soap Lather's up so easily and smells fantastic, gotta love it,
All happy now so here it goes.
It is quite remarkable how the Mulcuto manages to tame a feather blade, resulting in what is probably the most mildest razor I have ever tried with a feather blade!
1st pass WTG,
The Mulcuto is so mild that I couldn't feel the blade. It glides so well but leaves a lot of stubble and a fair amount of lather after the first pass.
2nd Pass ATG,
Again it was a doddle, it is just so mild. No irritation what so ever but still the stubble is there.
3rd Pass XTG
Will it slay the last of my stubble? ah No!
It is a very smooth shaving experience, I could shave in every direction for another 5 times if I wanted but I chose 1.
4th Pass Touch ups.
The stubble is gone, no irritation what so ever! Just a lovely smooth finish.

Some people want nothing more than take a few passes for their shave to be done, others just want to shave and shave and shave.
With the Mulcuto #1 you get those two choices.
An extremely mild safety-bar or a mild to medium Open comb in one razor that looks and feels very nice indeed.
I would be glad to add it to my group of razors and for just €40. Why not?

Many thanks to James for the privilege of taking part in this Pass around of out the Mulcuto and I will be posting it on to Hectorsgaf next.
I will be contacting both shortly.

Dr Watson

James
The Mulcuto has now arrived with the final person on the list, does anyone else wish to be added before this is closed?

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
..... and so the story continues.

Got the Mulcuto today which was nicely timed as , in anticipation, I had gone a couple of days over my normal growing period. Another day and I may have given in to an alternative.

Nice and clean out of the box ( thank you Si ) and after a 'blue dip' it was game on.

First impressions - this is light, and indeed it is light (71g) at 50g less than my 6S. It also felt handle heavy to me. Nothing in the head at all. Ok, crack on. Blade in - new feather. I do not normally use feathers now but popped one in on reading earlier comments.

Lathered up with last sample of Stirling EM ( love it ) .

The approach here was , as above, one side on OC the other SB.

1st pass OC - WOW , this is good. Very efficient. This was spot on for a quick and tidy go to work shave in itself ( well if I worked of course :D ) . SB cannot match this ........
1st pass SB - Mmmm, similar WOW . . For me, just as good as the OC. Press on.......

2nd pass OC - still good, no dragging etc.
2nd pass SB - as above but although AS good, something is niggling me here. Perhaps that odd and not unusual grab as you go from back to front on the hard line angle of the jaw bone.

3rd pass - yes I do this. For me this is ATG on cheeks etc with no issues and a good up and under on the top lip. Again , all well. I then go for the killer for me which is a sort of diagonal pass on the neck which seems to grow in all directions at the same time., The razor coped equally well on both sides with this.

4th? - buff time. Both sides did well.

On reflection, I think that if I had not gone full on 3rd pass and left out the buffing then this would have been a completely alum feedback free shave.

Must add - on several occasions I found the razor gripping my face . Almost like a vacuum. Not really had this before. - ever / Is it because the shave was so efficient ?

Conclusions early doors - I love this little razor ( and yes it IS little for me ). I do not normally use OC razors and on reflection I think that may be due to early experiences with OC Merkurs when I first started on the 'proper' road and which put me off. . Wake up call may be. ? I actually preferred the open side of this but only by a smidge. I am now basking in a post shave balmed up experience that is spot on. Some mentioned the handle. Yes it is smooth. No issues for me grip wise though.

Add to that - how much is this to do with the razor or the blade etc etc etc etc etc / combinations. As we know, whoever can answer that will be squids in.

It would be nice to hold on to this for a short while to try a couple of things. How will it fare with the same blade with a few outings? How is it with some of my normal ' go to blades both new and a couple of hairs down the line? Time will tell.

When this goes back though I would not be at all unimpressed IF I had his as an option as my 'holiday' razor. It is not much money and it certainly beats my current ' do not care if I lose it ' razor. That sounds cruel to the razor. Not meant to be.

Dr Watson

James
Great read @Hectorsgaf. Really good to hear another success story with the Mulcuto.

It would be nice to hold on to this for a short while to try a couple of things. How will it fare with the same blade with a few outings? How is it with some of my normal ' go to blades both new and a couple of hairs down the line? Time will tell.
Yeah no worries, take as long as need with it :okay:

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
2nd outing yesterday and what a difference. Really not a good shave this time. I wonder why? I had 3 days growth, a tad less than before. I left the feather in so this was 2nd time for the blade. P&B spitfire soap and everything else prep wise was the same. Both SB and OC seemed to underperform on 1st pass. Could be me with the angles. 2nd pass got really rough though especially on jawline. Managed several weepers too which is unusual. Did a tentative 3rd pass and a little buffing but really lost interest by then. Massive feedback from the alum led me to the witch hazel, another thing I tend not to use any more. Hate it when feeling prickly feedback when rubbing hand against the grain post shave.

What can I say? What a difference. Will leave it until next week and go again with a different blade. I seem to be getting a thing these days about using new blades. See what happens.

Dr Watson

James
2nd outing yesterday and what a difference. Really not a good shave this time. I wonder why? I had 3 days growth, a tad less than before. I left the feather in so this was 2nd time for the blade. P&B spitfire soap and everything else prep wise was the same. Both SB and OC seemed to underperform on 1st pass. Could be me with the angles. 2nd pass got really rough though especially on jawline. Managed several weepers too which is unusual. Did a tentative 3rd pass and a little buffing but really lost interest by then. Massive feedback from the alum led me to the witch hazel, another thing I tend not to use any more. Hate it when feeling prickly feedback when rubbing hand against the grain post shave.

What can I say? What a difference. Will leave it until next week and go again with a different blade. I seem to be getting a thing these days about using new blades. See what happens.
Wow, a shocker of a shave!

I was previously unaware it was possible to get a rough shave out of the Mulcuto, getting weepers etc is very out of character... I'm thinking the blade was shot?

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Wow, a shocker of a shave!

I was previously unaware it was possible to get a rough shave out of the Mulcuto, getting weepers etc is very out of character... I'm thinking the blade was shot?
Could be the blade but it was great first time out and then SO bad next time.. Not sure. Will try another. Maybe keep it next week then get it back to you. I see you can pick them up cheaply from the supplier on German fleabay. They go at around £12 - £15. They will ship to UK for €7

Dr Watson

James
Could be the blade but it was great first time out and then SO bad next time.. Not sure. Will try another. Maybe keep it next week then get it back to you. I see you can pick them up cheaply from the supplier on German fleabay. They go at around £12 - £15. They will ship to UK for €7
That's where I got the first one from and it arrived looking like a factory reject... Just something to be wary of.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
OK, 3rd run.

Swapped the feather out for a new Polsiver SI. Today's shave was as good , if not better, than the 1st attempt as above. Was it the feather that was shot? After one shave and it was so good the first time. Mmm. I had not even removed it from the razor, just loosened off and let air dry after a rinse.

Oh well. I will give it one more go using the same Polsiver and see what happens next. I certainly find the OC more efficient on 1st pass. The SB feels more aggressive and I certainly get plenty of feedback from it. The SB is better for buffing although there is not much in it. I really went to town today and I got very little response from the alum. Upper lip not quite where I get it to with the 6S though. Only other issue with this - grip has been mentioned before. I had no real issues with it but did notice today that it has a habit of travelling down the fingers when used head up so that the head ends up resting on the top of forefinger and thumb.

I like this little razor. In fact I like it so much I have bought the company......... well I have bought the razor. Noting James' warning I got it for £17.00 delivered on the ebay.DE site. Somewhat better than the £45 it would cost on buy it now or direct from their website. Will deal with any flaws as / if / when they arise. Who knows, there may be another available for loan in the near future.