Completed Mulcuto No.1

Dr Watson

James
The Mulcutto has arrived safely and I’ll have my first shave with it tomorrow.

I’ll post up my initial thoughts tomorrow night. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice one Andy :okay:

I recommend using the sharpest blades you have at your disposal, in the end I shimmed it for greater efficiency which worked quite nicely.

ajc347

Forum GOD!
Nice one Andy :okay:

I recommend using the sharpest blades you have at your disposal, in the end I shimmed it for greater efficiency which worked quite nicely.
Thanks James

I’ll start off with a Feather - if it can tame that then it will be a very good razor indeed. [emoji846]

ajc347

Forum GOD!
I've managed to get two shaves in with this razor so far (I've had two pass-around razors arrive at the same time), and it has proven to be a very interesting design.

Here's my thoughts so far:

1) The handle is great and is easy to grip despite there being no knurling present.

2) The razor is on the mild side (similar in aggression to a Tech) and the SB side gives a very smooth and pleasant shave.

3) This is the only razor I've ever used where an open comb design is less efficient and less aggressive than the SB equivalent. I think this is due to the way in which the head is designed. The SB side easily removes lather as it shaves whilst the OC leaves a fair of lather behind (unlike any other OC I've ever used other than the Tradere OC which also tended to suffer from this problem). The OC side feels as mild as a Supply one-dot plate (i.e. next to useless).

4) James' advice of using a sharp blade proved to be spot on. This razor tamed a Feather with ease.

I'm going to have one more shave with this razor later in the week and will then pass it on to the next person. :)

Dr Watson

James
I've managed to get two shaves in with this razor so far (I've had two pass-around razors arrive at the same time), and it has proven to be a very interesting design.

Here's my thoughts so far:

1) The handle is great and is easy to grip despite there being no knurling present.

2) The razor is on the mild side (similar in aggression to a Tech) and the SB side gives a very smooth and pleasant shave.

3) This is the only razor I've ever used where an open comb design is less efficient and less aggressive than the SB equivalent. I think this is due to the way in which the head is designed. The SB side easily removes lather as it shaves whilst the OC leaves a fair of lather behind (unlike any other OC I've ever used other than the Tradere OC which also tended to suffer from this problem). The OC side feels as mild as a Supply one-dot plate (i.e. next to useless).

4) James' advice of using a sharp blade proved to be spot on. This razor tamed a Feather with ease.

I'm going to have one more shave with this razor later in the week and will then pass it on to the next person. :)
Thanks for posting your findings Andy.

That is very interesting as personally I found no difference in shave quality between each side, I also didn't find the OC left much lather behind so you may want to experiment with the angle? I agree it is a mild razor though, shimming the blade really transformed it, just one blade with it's edges removed sat beneath your cutting blade makes all the difference.

ajc347

Forum GOD!
I got my third an final shave in tonight.

I changed the parameters on this shave and didn’t do my normal Uber Lather just pre-shave oil followed by a thin layer of soap.

This improved the OC side somewhat and gave much more blade feel and aggression. There was still some evidence of soap trail left afterwards (although nowhere near as bad as before). The SB side remained as smooth as the last two shaves.

I did feel some post shave irritation this time around though (I suspect that this was due to the thin layer of soap).

My conclusion, therefore, is that this razor will work well with thinner lathers rather than the thick lather of soap, cream and glycerin I usually use.

I’ve enjoyed my time with this razor and would like to thank James again for the opportunity to use it.

I’ll check to see who’s next on the list and will pas the razor onto them accordingly. [emoji846]

Dr Watson

James
I got my third an final shave in tonight.

I changed the parameters on this shave and didn’t do my normal Uber Lather just pre-shave oil followed by a thin layer of soap.

This improved the OC side somewhat and gave much more blade feel and aggression. There was still some evidence of soap trail left afterwards (although nowhere near as bad as before). The SB side remained as smooth as the last two shaves.

I did feel some post shave irritation this time around though (I suspect that this was due to the thin layer of soap).

My conclusion, therefore, is that this razor will work well with thinner lathers rather than the thick lather of soap, cream and glycerin I usually use.

I’ve enjoyed my time with this razor and would like to thank James again for the opportunity to use it.

I’ll check to see who’s next on the list and will pas the razor onto them accordingly. [emoji846]

You're welcome Andy :thumbsup:

Pleased you managed to get an acceptable shave out of it end the end, I hadn't considered lather density but yes in hindsight that would play a large part in the razors effectiveness.

Dr Watson

James
Had my first shave with the mulcuto this morning and I found it to be a good but mild razor caused me no problems but also nothing remarkable about the shave.
Thanks for the update Andy, what blade did you use out of interest? Agreed, it's not remarkable in any way... Just a sensible mild shave.