Muhle R41

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Had another shave with the R41 yesterday. I say another shave it has been 5 months and it's only my second shave. I have been using mild razors for the last few months apart from a few shaves with the Timeless 0.95 OC SS.

Well the shave was as comfortable as the Tatara and as efficient as a wax strip. I actually somehow managed 3 passes (I don't shave ATG) resulting in one of the closest shaves I've had in years, with zero irritation.

Sometimes this game bowls you a googly. Grandstaff was my Kookaburra bat reminding me what a top tier soap delivers too.

Str8Mug

Forum GOD!
Just saw this thread and just had to say a little something about the R41. Just received another but, the 2011 one off of the b/s/t a couple weeks back. Had to get one to replace the one prior that disintegrated on me a few months back.

Just a remarkably efficient and yet, to me a smooth shaver. The 2013 version is a very good razor but, the '11 out classes it by a few notches in how it goes through a beard with relative ease and comfort. Don't get me wrong concerning the '13 and newer versions as they're no slouches in removing stubble and giving BBS quality shaves.

In the end it's all about variables such as beard growth, coarseness, skin sensitivity and a few other things that have been mentioned a thousand times over. I will say if your skin can handle blade feel and you're adept in learning a razor in terms of making it work for you, the R41 is a definite bucket list razor. The '11 even more so.

Now if only Muhle decided on an SS version. Epic would be appropriate...

Thanks @Nishy for starting this thread a couple years back. I'm a little late to the game but, I made it.

D

Deleted member 1881

Had another shave with the R41 yesterday. I say another shave it has been 5 months and it's only my second shave. I have been using mild razors for the last few months apart from a few shaves with the Timeless 0.95 OC SS.

Well the shave was as comfortable as the Tatara and as efficient as a wax strip. I actually somehow managed 3 passes (I don't shave ATG) resulting in one of the closest shaves I've had in years, with zero irritation.

Sometimes this game bowls you a googly. Grandstaff was my Kookaburra bat reminding me what a top tier soap delivers too.

I agree. Try once an ATG pass with it, AFTER you have shortened the hair efficiently. You will be amazed. Wax strip did you say? Oh no, this will be laser hair removal. Zero irritation, you won't have hair to shave for 3 days.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Just received another but, the 2011 one off of the b/s/t a couple weeks back. Had to get one to replace the one prior that disintegrated on me a few months back.
Do you still have the baseplate of the one that "disintegrated"? The baseplates are generally OK. My Rockwell 6C handle disintegrated but the baseplates were fine, for instance. My favourite version of the R41 only uses the baseplate. Top cap is Yintal Bronze, which is 1.2mm narrower like the 2011 top cap. Handle is titanium from Russia, 53g, and takes the total weight to 86g. If you have a R41 baseplate - 2011 or 2013 - you can make a great razor out of it.

Muhle R41 03.jpg
Muhle R41 04.jpg

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have shyed away from the R41 since I began my shaving journey. It's never crossed my mind to use one at all as I always thought of it as a straight with a handle :happy:
Being a snob doesn't help though seeing as it is made from melted down Wok's. How much does it differ from the Ikon Tech?

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I have shyed away from the R41 since I began my shaving journey. It's never crossed my mind to use one at all as I always thought of it as a straight with a handle :happy:
Being a snob doesn't help though seeing as it is made from melted down Wok's. How much does it differ from the Ikon Tech?
I felt the same way about the merkur 37C then I tried it and thought, well that wasn't as dangerous as I first believed.

I find the R41 to be milder than the Ikon Tech. Less direct with blade feel than the Tech and certainly as or more efficient. I am forced to use a light touch with the Ikon Tech or pair it with a light handle. The R41 was used cautiously but didn't need as much care.

S

Steve Bowles

I just had a perfect shave with my new R41!!! (Hyperbolic, I know). My first three R41s were something developed by the KGB in the 1950s. I thought I would never be on speaking terms with them but I have found that with improved technique and a Polsilver blade, it shaves as smoothly as the R89. I want to thank @steve wilson for taking the S1 off my hands and trading me his R41 Twist. I didn't find much difference between the S1 and any other slant, but I will certainly give the R41 its deserved place in the rota.

S

Steve Bowles

I felt the same way about the merkur 37C then I tried it and thought, well that wasn't as dangerous as I first believed.

I find the R41 to be milder than the Ikon Tech. Less direct with blade feel than the Tech and certainly as or more efficient. I am forced to use a light touch with the Ikon Tech or pair it with a light handle. The R41 was used cautiously but didn't need as much care.
@Nishy, @Wayne: You Girls!

Freddiethestaffie

Forum GOD!
Used my R41 today (sotd) I pair it with a Bulldog handle and find the extra weight makes it more efficient.
I use a vokshod blade and get a BBS shave with 3 passes.
Not sure if a really sharp blade like a feather would make any difference.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Used my R41 today (sotd) I pair it with a Bulldog handle and find the extra weight makes it more efficient. I use a vokshod blade and get a BBS shave with 3 passes. Not sure if a really sharp blade like a feather would make any difference.
I like really sharp blades in the R41 - they tug less. I haven't tried a Feather, but use Nacet, Yellows and Astra SP.

Agree on the handle - taking the overall weight up to around 85-100g gives a better shave I think.

FSword

Forum GOD!
When I was using it I had paired it with an iKon OSS handle. Much better balance! However I found it a bit overly aggressive for my taste.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Another great shave today with the R41 plus titanium handle. It cleans up just about everything, but I have to say that the ultimate cleanup always goes to my ER 1912 with heavier handle. That's the undisputed master in my den.

ER 1912 mine.jpg