Motorbike licence without owning a bike? (UK)

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Is it possible to prepare for and get a motorbike licence in the UK without buying a bike?

I've thought about learning for the last 20 years and never really gotten around to it. Recently I've been thinking that I should go through the process to have the licence even if I don't have my own bike. I've got a car that I don't use often and don't need another vehicle that spends most of its time parked up, but an Australian friend of mine said that he learned there by renting a bike as a learner then passing his test on it.

If that's not possible, any bike recommendations new or used? Been eyeing up the Honda CB125R

Driftwood

Forum GOD!
You Require a provisional licence and hold a mandatory CBT (compulsory bike test) certificate to be legal on the road with a 125cc. The CBT is valid for two year period only and then resit for a further two years and so on. It is usually a transition to the full motorbike licence, with the direct access - which a two part test and consists of the CBT and the motorbike road test

Edit
You can purchase a 125cc - But hold a current driving/provisional driving licence and hold a current CBT to be road legal

Last edited:

sev-8

Forum GOD!
You Require a provisional licence and hold a mandatory CBT (compulsory bike test) certificate to be legal on the road with a 125cc. The CBT is valid for two year period only and then resit for a further two years and so on. It is usually a transition to the full motorbike licence, with the direct access - which a two part test and consists of the CBT and the motorbike road test
Thanks, I was aware of that. The main thing I'm trying to understand is whether I need to buy a bike to go through either direct access or progressive or if there's a way where I can rent/borrow one?

Driftwood

Forum GOD!
No, you don't require your own bike to a take CBT, the Bike instructor/trainer have them and it's built into the cost - It's illegal for you to be the road without the CBT. It depends on what you want, if you want a bike over 600cc the DA is the way to go and if you for that, the CBT is the very first thing you do and if you have a 125cc ride is much as you want - that speed up your confidence and ability. You could sit the full test in week crash course, depending on the Instructor/s, you would be better phoning around, prices vary

Cheesepiece

Stickler
It's do-able without owning a bike.
CBT places will have bikes on which to do that training.
A bike school for anything post-cbt will charge to use their bikes for practicing for your A2, DIrect Acces or whichever licence you're gunning for.
The day out for CBT covers, clue's in the title, the basics and you may get a taste for it or be totally put off. First step is getting it booked and getting out to get it done.
Having done it, you might just fancy a 125 of your own to hone your skills or sate your 2 wheel appetite. It's the slippery slope from there.
My dad did his test in the last five or so years, so under the new regulations in England. It was dear and he did it on rented bikes, 125 of his own for the CBT then a rental Suzi Gladius and a Hornet. When I got my licence in 2011 in Northern Ireland it was much simpler and I went from 125 to full A2 having never ridden anything over the 125. Madness really.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
It's do-able without owning a bike.
CBT places will have bikes on which to do that training.
A bike school for anything post-cbt will charge to use their bikes for practicing for your A2, DIrect Acces or whichever licence you're gunning for.
The day out for CBT covers, clue's in the title, the basics and you may get a taste for it or be totally put off. First step is getting it booked and getting out to get it done.
Having done it, you might just fancy a 125 of your own to hone your skills or sate your 2 wheel appetite. It's the slippery slope from there.
My dad did his test in the last five or so years, so under the new regulations in England. It was dear and he did it on rented bikes, 125 of his own for the CBT then a rental Suzi Gladius and a Hornet. When I got my licence in 2011 in Northern Ireland it was much simpler and I went from 125 to full A2 having never ridden anything over the 125. Madness really.
Yeah, I imagine renting will be expensive but gives me options. I might never actually do this. I think now might be the time before I hit mid-life crisis and everyone thinks that's the reason :laugh:

Cheesepiece

Stickler
Yeah, I imagine renting will be expensive but gives me options. I might never actually do this. I think now might be the time before I hit mid-life crisis and everyone thinks that's the reason :laugh:
All the changes in the licencing and testing are doing is making it more and more difficult to get into bikes. If you can get through it now and get your licence you're free to pick up biking again when it suits you.
It'll only be even more expensive to do in future, the way things are going.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Something I've been thinking about for years, and it is just so complicated that I read up and then sack it off...

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Same here. Part of me can't be bothered buying the Highway Code again and learning all the stuff in it
I tried an online motorbike theory practice test and past quite easily. I doubt you'll have any issues with that...