Most unreliable car you have owned

R181

Grumpy old man
My wife isn't easy on cars, she rests her left foot on the clutch pedal while driving but promises she's not applying any pressure whatsoever (sounds uncomfortable if true and rather implausible to me) and would never think of checking oil.
Many years ago, a fellow at work told me he had to replace the clutch in his brand new car after only 2 years iirc. Turns out his wife also drove with her left foot resting on the clutch pedal. I could not believe that anyone would do that. I drove a 1989 Hyundai Sonata for 15 years putting 100,000 mi/160,000 km of mostly city driving on it and never had to replace the clutch.

Bob

Cheesepiece

Gold Member No. 8
Many years ago, a fellow at work told me he had to replace the clutch in his brand new car after only 2 years iirc. Turns out his wife also drove with her left foot resting on the clutch pedal. I could not believe that anyone would do that. I drove a 1989 Hyundai Sonata for 15 years putting 100,000 mi/160,000 km of mostly city driving on it and never had to replace the clutch.

Bob
Oh no, no. It's just resting there. I've been assured. Hmm...

HereticHermit

Über Member
My now wife and I had a 2004 Jazz, she having inherited it from her mother who had it from new around 2014. Most reliable thing that took so much punishment. My wife isn't easy on cars, she rests her left foot on the clutch pedal while driving but promises she's not applying any pressure whatsoever (sounds uncomfortable if true and rather implausible to me) and would never think of checking oil. It ran for about 5 years thereafter no dramas with only tyres going on before the engine mounts went and that proved terminal. My mother in law would have been kind to it though in its previous ten years service, rarely if ever asking for anything above 60mph, so perhaps it felt a bit of loyalty to the family.
I have to agree that Hondas are mostly fuss free and that was primary reason I bought one. It wasn't a lemon but that particular tick, I just could never sort out. Writing couple of lines doesn't do justice to the efforts I made in finding out what could be wrong. It left me completely baffled all the more that I consider myself to be fairly proficient with automotive engines in general. So yeah that was salt rubbed on open wound and the fact that she never made any recovery from her troublesum quirk had me term her as unreliable.
I also had the tribulation of buying a Subaru Forester in 2004 rebadged as Chevrolet Forester in India as Chevrolet never seriously provided any decent service to the car let alone spare parts which had to be imported at higher costs. But I was to be proved wrong in later years because design wise as much lacksture the Forester was it had solid engine and built. I drove that thing to the ground for 15 years without a squeak and only needed 1 battery and regular tyre replacement. The amount of punishment Forester took proved her reliable. Honda Jazz, not so much.

HereticHermit

Über Member
Oh no, no. It's just resting there. I've been assured. Hmm...
I told my wife if she ever wants to drive with her foot on clutch pedal, beware the aircon will conk off as there is a sensor at the back of padel which transmits the news to ECU and aircon runs down to a crawl for some inexplicable reason. The wise woman she is, she cant risk driving with less than ideal aircon when it is 44c here in summers.
Sometime you have to do what you have to do... :D

chris.hale

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Re Hondas, I had a Civic for a couple of years and it was brilliant. Cheap to run, never went wrong and surprisingly practical with a massive boot and loads of useful storage in the cabin. The back doors also opened to 90 degrees which was a real boon with a small child. If I hadn't set my heart on a Land Rover I'd still have it and if I go back to a 'normal' car I'd definitely be looking at Civics first. My wife also had one for nearly five years and it never put a foot wrong.

The last Civic I drove was an 8th gen 2.2 diesel. The steering was so light and vague I thought it was faulty, it wasn’t, It was just dog egg.

Vacumatic

Dogged
I am going off topic here but I had a new Hondas in the 1980s/90s, 3 Accords and a Prelude, servicing costs were crazy but 100% reliability.

Around that time I had a Mitsubishi Gallant VR4, a few things went wrong but nothing bad. Then a friend bought a Vauxhall garage so I bought a V6 Cavalier and then a Calibra, again 100% reliable. These were company cars, after that I started buy my own which were mainly BMW 5 series diesels, again 100% reliability, a 5 series Touring was the only car that I kept for a year and sold it for more than I paid for it.