Mobile phone contacts keep duplicating!

BJS

Actual Member
Some advice would be appreciated..
It's an android phone and I only have about 50 contacts, but they have duplicated to over 160,000 and counting.
I have turned off all account syncing,
I have tried merging them in the contacts, but it does nothing.
I spent hours deleting them as bulk contacts and all looked well, but by the following day they were all back again.
I have tried a dozen or so contact merging apps, half don't even see them, the other half see them but don't remove them.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
Brian.

BJS

Actual Member
Yesterday, before I started bulk deleting the contacts, it was up to 600,000 duplicated contacts.
If the phone is no longer syncing with any accounts, what is causing the contacts to keep duplicating?

halvor

a most elusive fish
Are the contacts synced from an account in the first place? Try removing the account, delete all contacts (making sure that the ones you have in the account are all and updated), add the account back in, and sync.

BJS

Actual Member
I bought a new phone and copied the contacts from my old phone to the new one using Bluetooth, I've never synced to any accounts, everything is turned off. I don't have Facebook, Twitter etc and only have outlook for emails, but the syncing on that is off!

BJS

Actual Member
Did you factory reset the new phone, and start over again?
No, haven't done that yet, I guess that will be a last resort, because of all the apps and photos, files etc I have on the phone at the moment..

halvor

a most elusive fish
Try clearing the contacts list on your new phone. Export or sync the contacts from the old phone to a file or account and import/sync it to the new phone.

Could it be that it’s trying to restore from a backup/restore version? Try switching off any backup (settings/privacy I think).

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Something is very unusual and very wrong. Contact support at Google, your phone manufacturer, etc.