Might want to have a go at honing.

Blackie

Forum GOD!
I have a few old straights here. Never used them as at 72 I'm getting dodgy enough without the worry of waving a cut throat razor around.
But, all this talk on here about honing has me interested.
Maybe this is a skill I should look at.
For a complete honing beginner where do I start? What's good gear to get without having to sell my first-born?
I have some straights, now I need some stones (?), and a strop (?), and 'something' to put on the strop (?).
Thanks for any input.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
If you want to go from ground zero, that's a complete bevel set to a shave ready razor, then you would be looking at a complete set of stones, 1K, 3K, 5K, 8K, 12K, very expensive, or send two or three of your razors out for professional honing then buy a 12K stone and a strop then you can maintain the edge yourself, I'm making it sound straight forward and easy the reality it's not.

Blackie

Forum GOD!
Thanks @JamieM in that case maybe I better not bother (yet).
I'm packing for a house move and we are in lockdown here in New Zealand...so we are not allowed to move out, new owner not allowed to move in, furniture removal guys not allowed to operate, etc, etc.
So probably a bad time for me to get more kit!
Cheers.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
@Blackie,

This guy may be able to help you, he's a longtime member of the (SRP) Sharp Razor Palace in the US, he's a solid guy and a New Zealander I know him well, I'll leave you a link to his profile on the forum, join up and shoot him a PM. If you do contact him tell him Jamie from Wales give you his details.

Jamie.