Merkur 45 Bakelite DE Razor First Use & Thoughts (Head Shaving)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2936

hey people so i used had my first ever use with the merkur 45 bakelite de razor which i paired with a gillette silver blue which i also used for the very first time

i had 3 days worth of growth an bare i mind i have very thick coarse hair too,
the razor made light work of it, now the razor is very light, nimble and i found it to be a superb efficient shave, honestly i absolutely loved it

my experience with de/se razors is that you have to take shorter strokes,
but with this merkur 45 you can literally take long strokes and theres no blade chatter and dont need to worry about cutting or catching your skin,
i assume it may be due to the way the blade is held in place maybe? i dont know someone correct me if im wrong

where i think this razor excels is ATG and i think it might be due to the blade angle,
i mention the blade angle as a lot of youtubers even commented on it having a bit of a steeper shaving angle
kinda reminded me of a more aggressive, efficent version of the medium henson de razor i got, of course like anything YMMV

anyways i would defo recommend this razor, however im not sure what the availability of it is like

D

Deleted member 2936

If you want no blade "chatter", use a Schick injector type. Or, a GEM Micromatic closed or open comb. Get the angle right to prevent scalping.
i got a schick injector and a pal injector, i do love the schick injector and yea youre right you dont really get any blade chatter due to it being more rigid and a bit more solid so to speak

D

Deleted member 2936

Plus, being a smaller head, these do close up or detail around the nose, ear, and back of neck well.
yea true say, you got to be careful with the merkur around the ears as it has a fair bit of overhang tbh

D

Deleted member 2936

Interesting first impressions and I will agree that it is a very good shaver. I never had problems with other DEs/SEs taking long strokes either.

Bob
yea tis a very nice razor, tbh overhang never bothers me around the ear but i soon as i loaded the blade i knew just to be a little careful around the ears, saying that i think the head not being so wide does actually benefit the razor by making it a bit more rigid

sorry i forgot to say i meant in regard to long diagonal strokes at the side of the head like the temple area and further back around the head

i would really be interesting to see how a shim would fair on this razor, as its already really rigid the way the blades held in place,
might make it more aggressive too?

i watched that youtuber paulhfilms use the merkur 45 and he did mention somtimes the razor is mid agressive and sometimes it feels a bit more aggressive or something along those lines and yea i found that intereting, will need to try out a few blades in it for sure...

D

Deleted member 2936

hey so not been in a right place and been really in the dump mentally so I ready had to push myself to shave today,

if you also suffer from severe depression you'll get what I mean and relate to me,

anyways shaved roughly 15/16 days growth with this merkur 45 bakelite razor with a new feather de blade,

I swear this thing just munched it up lool 😲

I love everything about this razor, think I paid just less then £15 for it but what a razor for the money, love it! 💚