Pass Around Menlo Shaving Nealon

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member

First shave in and I already know it's not for me... Can't argue with the results as I've just had a super close shave, just far, far too many weepers. It was a bloodbath, similar to the + and ++ plates of the Carbon. Just too much blade for me. I love the handle and the everything else. The shave was very smooth too, so the weepers appearing surprised me a little. Not as much sting from the AS as I was expecting either.
I'll try another shave and I'll get it on its way.

Nice to try these things though, so thanks for the opportunity...
It cut me virtually every shave the first week, the second week not one. Mind you some were quite bad..
Glad I didn't come in on this one.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Quick one pass shave tonight, couldn't handle anymore.

I love everything about this razor, but it is just too much for me. It takes concentration at all times; if I wanted an intense shave I'll grab a straight. This is top tier aggression, so if you like am exciting shave this should be on your list to try...

@Stonec0ld, pm me your address and I'll get it on its way.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
1. Holyzeus *Completed*
2. p.b * Completed*
3. bagman * Completed*
4. Rowlers *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *on way*
6. ajc347
7. carbold
8. CalMorris93
9. jeepie

Last edited:

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
1. Holyzeus *Completed*
2. p.b * Completed*
3. bagman * Completed*
4. Rowlers *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *With*
6. ajc347
7. carbold
8. CalMorris93
9. jeepie

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
OK first shave in and here are my initial thoughts.

The $199 price tag put this between a Blackland Blackbird and a Carbon Cx 316 of the razors I've tried so those will be the main comparions for me in terms of quality. I'll also compare the shave in terms if the Homelike Start & Colibri as those are razors with bigger blade gaps with 1.18mm and 1.50mm respectively.

Out of the box, it has a nice weight to it and I like the styling. The finish on the top cap didn't look Top drawer, particularly on the corners, it looked a little uneven to me but that could just be my eyes. Not as well finished as the Carbon, but I'd say on par with the Blackbird and Colibri.

Once the blade is loaded it looks scary, so I started with some trepidation, especially as some of the precious users have mentioned it can bite. I needn't have worried though, it has some blade feel so you know its there, but I never felt like it was going to cut me. I did my usual 2 pass shave and I didn't get any weeder, but I didn't find towards the end I was feeling a little razor burn. This for me was similar to the Blackbird, whereas the Carbon, Colibri and Start never had any burn whatsoever.

What I did notice was that towards the end of the shave I was naturally holding the razor more perpendicular to my face which lessened the blade feel and hopefully lessened the burn. I think I'll start with that tomorrow..

The shave was very close though, easily as close as the Carbon, Colibri and the Blackbird (on a good day). Initial impressions are that gives a wonderful close shave, but can be a wee but aggressive at the wrong angle. Personally it's not going to knock the Carbon off the top spot as that has little blade feel but gives an amazing shave. I can get a similar close shave with the menlo, but it burns more if I get the angle wrong.

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
2nd shave down and this time I kept the handle closer to my face and no razor burn! Very reminiscent of the Blackbird for me that, but its not the easiest to keep that angle going WTG on the lower parts of my neck. In all honesty it seems like a faff to get a shave as good as the Carbon. I moved my Blackbird on for this exact reason.

Screenshot_20210804-174650_Gallery.jpg

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
3rd shave and I feel like I've nailed it. It's never going to be a razor you can throw around the face, it needs a little respect, but when you give it that respect it rewards you with a very close shave, one of the closest I've had. If I was still deep in the grips of RAD I'd be tempted to get one, but I've found my grail razor in the Carbon and this won't oust it from the top spot.

I'll use it this weekend then sanitise and pack it up for the next on the list. Thanks to @Holyzeus @MenloShaving for the fantastic opportunity

Screenshot_20210806-065541_Instagram.jpg

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
1. Holyzeus *Completed*
2. p.b * Completed*
3. bagman * Completed*
4. Rowlers *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *Completed*
6. ajc347 *On way*
7. carbold
8. CalMorris93
9. jeepie