4. Rowlers *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *Completed*
6. ajc347 *With*
7. carbold
8. Morpheus
9. jeepie

ajc347

Forum GOD!
I've had a few shaves with the razor and must say that I'm liking it. In terms of design, it reminds me very much of a cross between a Myatt Daymark and the changes Timeless made to this design.

It's as efficient as I hoped it would be and I'm struggling to detect any meaningful blade feel. I've been using it with a Feather and find that it suits the razor pretty well.

A change of blade and a head shave tomorrow night will be an interesting counterpoint to the shaves I've already had with it.

ajc347

Forum GOD!
I've had my final couple of shaves with the razor and must say that I continued to enjoy using it on my face. It was different story on my head, though.

I paired it up with a Sputnik blade and found this worked pretty well on my face, although it wasn't as good as when using a Feather. It still remains a very efficient razor and not that uncomfortable due to the lack of blade feel. I did, though, get a weeper which is virtually unheard of these days.

In terms of the head shave, my experience was far more mixed. It (literally) just didn't cut it and I needed to finish off with my Timeless 0.95 SB (which remains the smoothest head shaver in my collection).

I've experienced this with a number of razors before, to the extent that it is very rare for me to find a razor that will work equally as well on both my head and face without my upping the aggression of the baseplate. A lot of razors have fallen at this hurdle (including my RS-10, Blackbird, Apollo, Zeppelin, H&S N075, CG's and Rocnel's to name but a few) so this cannot be seen as a criticism of the razor.

All-in-all, I must admit to liking this razor. It's as efficient as a Blackbird and a Colibri 1.30 but doesn't feel as smooth as a Timeless, RS-10 or Rocnel Elite. It is, though, much better than the original Tradere SB, Carbon Cx and a host of other razors I've used before, in this respect.

The question remains as to whether I would purchase one? The answer is that I probably would given both the right opportunity and availability of funds. It's solidly built and delivers everything it promises to do.

Thank you agin to Barry and Menlo for organising this pass-around. Using the razor has proved to be informative and enjoying. It was sent out to Carlo earlier today and should be with him tomorrow. :)

Holyzeus

TSR reject
1. Holyzeus *Completed*
2. p.b * Completed*
3. bagman * Completed*
4. Rowlers *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *Completed*
6. ajc347 *Completed*
7. carbold *On way*
8. Morpheus
9. jeepie

carbold

Carlo
Razor received and first shave done.
It is a razor for people who like blade feel, similar to a Tech or an R41. And I do like blade feel, so in theory I should like this razor, however I found it a bit rough on this first shave. I have to say the handle affected the shave in a negative way: at 97mm is too long, it's too thin and very slippery. You have to concentrate on the grip rather than the shave itself, with the razor wanting to slip axially and also wanting to rotate around the axis of the handle.
There are some questionable technical issues for me with this razor.
First, the handle. I suppose chasing aesthetics meant that the final product is not practical and it really badly affects the performance.
Second: I don't understand the scalloped base plate. What is it for? The gaps are too thin for the lather to flow through. I sense it was another attempt to do something different. Also the slots on the safety bar seem to be cut from the top with a wheel rather than a straight tool or wire cutting (see detailed pic).
Third: the top cap is weird. The leading edge seems a bit wonky, the 4 corners don't seem to be a consistent shape. Looks like it's been sanded by hand to a random shape. The upper and lower surface of the leading edges have a non-polished strip about 4 mm wide. And it's not even straight.

Also, the top cap sticks out of the baseplate either side, personal taste but I don't like that.
Minor issue, but at this price range, they need to engrave a logo.

In my opinion this razor is certainly not suitable for a beginner, and not suitable for somebody more keen who's looking for "the one", there are better razors out there for the same money or less. Let's not forget that this is a $200 razor, plus shipping, plus customs. Sorry to be blunt, but a Game Changer or the Aliexpress clones are better machined and better finished than this razor.

I'll give it another go with a different handle, and report back.

Attachments

Last edited:

Holyzeus

TSR reject
1. Holyzeus *Completed*
2. p.b * Completed*
3. bagman * Completed*
4. Rowlers *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *Completed*
6. ajc347 *Completed*
7. carbold *Completed*
8. Morpheus *On way*
9. jeepie

carbold

Carlo
So I managed to do a couple more shaves before sending it. I coupled it with a Razorock Super Knurl handle, and I've got to say it's a bit better.
One thing I noticed is that it tends to nick you without warning. Maybe I didn't give it enough time, but why spend more time with a razor if I have 15+ high end razors in my rotation, all of them giving me a good shave without too much effort?
Final conclusion is: I did not fully understand this razor, but I like the fact that it is aggressive and gets the job done. I'd rather have this than a Mamba, or a Feather, for example. Regardless, thank you so much to @Holyzeus and manufacturer for giving me the chance to try this razor

Morpheus

Guru
Menlo is now in my possession gents, and will get it's first outing in a few hours.

1. Holyzeus *Completed*
2. p.b * Completed*
3. bagman * Completed*
4. Rowlers *Completed*
5. Stonec0ld *Completed*
6. ajc347 *Completed*
7. carbold *Completed*
8. Morpheus *with*
9. jeepie

Morpheus

Guru
First couple of shaves with the Menlo Nealon;

Apologies all for the delayed update, I have been away for 2 days for work. I have had 2 shaves with the Menlo, and am ready to give some thoughts on this razor.

Starting of with the quality, it's okay... I really think it comes down to finishing with this razor, and potentially lacks some refinement that I'm sure will be ironed out with future iterations. Just some rough edges and finishing tolerances that miss the mark in comparison to other razors in this price category, but nothing that effects the performance.

Performance for me on this razor is fantastic, I'm not sure if it's just my skin or whatever, but I didn't find this razor as aggressive as I thought. There is a good amount of blade feel, as expected, but nothing like the exposure on a Muhle R41 for example, which I would place above the Menlo in 'aggressiveness'. Having said this, there is a certain level of concentration needed, and is not a razor you can just throw around your face in a quick early morning shave, it requires time and patience over many others. If I were to be pressed in to rating the efficiency, I would say it sits above the Tatara Nodachi, Blackbird, SH Apollo Light, Karve E/F & Yates EH plates, so it's definitely on the higher side of the scale. Having said this, it does fall short of the Muhle R41 & some of the higher gapped Wolfmans.

Despite the requirement of patience and concentration, I didn't feel in any danger of knicks or cuts at any point during both shaves. I also didnt suffer from any irritation, razor burn or any other issues during both either. I will continue to use the Menlo Nealon in 2 more shaves before moving it on, but for now, it remains firmly on my 'BUY' list.

Triple Milled

Legendary Member
First couple of shaves with the Menlo Nealon;

Apologies all for the delayed update, I have been away for 2 days for work. I have had 2 shaves with the Menlo, and am ready to give some thoughts on this razor.

Starting of with the quality, it's okay... I really think it comes down to finishing with this razor, and potentially lacks some refinement that I'm sure will be ironed out with future iterations. Just some rough edges and finishing tolerances that miss the mark in comparison to other razors in this price category, but nothing that effects the performance.

Performance for me on this razor is fantastic, I'm not sure if it's just my skin or whatever, but I didn't find this razor as aggressive as I thought. There is a good amount of blade feel, as expected, but nothing like the exposure on a Muhle R41 for example, which I would place above the Menlo in 'aggressiveness'. Having said this, there is a certain level of concentration needed, and is not a razor you can just throw around your face in a quick early morning shave, it requires time and patience over many others. If I were to be pressed in to rating the efficiency, I would say it sits above the Tatara Nodachi, Blackbird, SH Apollo Light, Karve E/F & Yates EH plates, so it's definitely on the higher side of the scale. Having said this, it does fall short of the Muhle R41 & some of the higher gapped Wolfmans.

Despite the requirement of patience and concentration, I didn't feel in any danger of knicks or cuts at any point during both shaves. I also didnt suffer from any irritation, razor burn or any other issues during both either. I will continue to use the Menlo Nealon in 2 more shaves before moving it on, but for now, it remains firmly on my 'BUY' list.
Hi,
From what I've read I think we favour the same type of razors. Do you mind saying how long the shave lasts before you can feel stubble returning with the Menlo, say in caparison to the Yates EH plate or Nodachi etc.
Thanks.

Morpheus

Guru
Hi,
From what I've read I think we favour the same type of razors. Do you mind saying how long the shave lasts before you can feel stubble returning with the Menlo, say in caparison to the Yates EH plate or Nodachi etc.
Thanks.
Its now been around 24hrs since I last shaved with the Menlo, and I would say I have noticeably less stubble than I would usually. I was going to have another shave with the Menlo tonight, as I am yet to try it on consecutive days, but I will likely wait until tomorrow now due to the above. Efficiency wise, it has to be top 3 for me out of the razors I’ve tried. I’d also like to point out that for some reason, this razor is extremely smooth for me against the grain, and I have tested both shaves thus far without the use of a post shave. No issues whatsoever.

Triple Milled

Legendary Member
Its now been around 24hrs since I last shaved with the Menlo, and I would say I have noticeably less stubble than I would usually. I was going to have another shave with the Menlo tonight, as I am yet to try it on consecutive days, but I will likely wait until tomorrow now due to the above. Efficiency wise, it has to be top 3 for me out of the razors I’ve tried. I’d also like to point out that for some reason, this razor is extremely smooth for me against the grain, and I have tested both shaves thus far without the use of a post shave. No issues whatsoever.
Thanks for that, based on this thread it's going on my BUY list too.